Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance?
Quote | Reply
I'm a 12ish hour (looking for better this time) IM guy and have yet to have a watch make it through the entire event. I'm curious what settings those in the know here use to ensure that they get the full distance recorded. I want to record HR and Power (bike and run), in addition to the normal distance and time. I'm hoping to use the triathlon mode. Planning to run my 520 on the bike so I can see the numbers, but that's not really relevant.

My HRM is either a Garmin dual mode, or tri-strap, with a preference for the tri-strap. My bike PM is the Power Tap pedals. My run PM is the 1st gen Stryd. (Yes, I like data. I'm hoping someone comes out with a wearable real time sodium hydration and nutrition monitor soon.)

Can anyone share with me the settings they use to enable the watch to last the entire race? I just had the watch replaced due to battery concerns, but I am also afraid I'm missing some setting adjustment.

Thanks in advance.

-BTW #2437 at IMLP in case anyone wants to see a middling competitor question his life decisions mid-swim...
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
put GPS to "Normal" instead of GPS + GLONASS and you should be fine. 935's have great battery life, especially if you have a new one. My 935 lasted me through a 13+ hr IM with battery to spare (20% i think) using normal GPS for the swim, bike, and run in tri mode; using a hr strap (not optical) and recording power/speed/cadence sensor data on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can also try turning off Wifi and Bluetooth for some extra battery life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The backlight is one setting I set to 4 seconds. There is no need to have the backlight on during the entire race. I can't think of any others to turn off.

Good luck at IMLP!
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my bike leg as a non GPS ride, ie Indoor bike. Swim and run are normal GPS. I have a garmin on the bike for the bike leg, but the 735 will still track overall time.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for using a chest HR strap, to save the battery on the 935.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably don't need to mess with anything. The 935's battery should easily last 12ish hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
You probably don't need to mess with anything. The 935's battery should easily last 12ish hours.

The last one I had didn't, hence the new one. I got the impression that Garmin didn't actually think there was anything wrong with the old one, they just replace these things automatically if anyone claims an issue. but maybe that's a mistaken impression.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does battery life diminish over time? My 735 lasted 13 hours last year, but died after 11 hours this year. I didn't actively change any settings, but for sure there were no obvious battery eaters like Bluetooth.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
Does battery life diminish over time? My 735 lasted 13 hours last year, but died after 11 hours this year. I didn't actively change any settings, but for sure there were no obvious battery eaters like Bluetooth.

Yes, all batteries diminish over time/use.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah all batteries will get worse over time. My 920 is my bike GPS now and the battery drain way faster than when it was new.

For the 935 just turn off WiFi & Bluetooth, use regular GPS (not GLONASS) and that should be 15+ hours right there.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I place the GPS unit by the window and start recording (make sure smart recording is not enabled). Next day I put it in the charger, then upload the file and see how far the battery lasted. You can then disable options like wifi or bluetooth and see how much they help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just use your Garmin bike computer and only use the watch for your swim and run. You still get all your data.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Just use your Garmin bike computer and only use the watch for your swim and run. You still get all your data.

Same
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total MOP-No garmin for swim, hr strap goes on in T1, 520 on bike, then garmin watch for run. Can’t be bothered by accidentally hitting watch buttons pulling wetsuit off.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
Yeah all batteries will get worse over time. My 920 is my bike GPS now and the battery drain way faster than when it was new.

For the 935 just turn off WiFi & Bluetooth, use regular GPS (not GLONASS) and that should be 15+ hours right there.

Also be sure to sync with Garmin Connect the day before the race, so it can preload satellite data. This will help it get a quicker lock and chew through less battery. Especially if you traveled somewhere to race. Then turn off bluetooth / wifi afterwards.

https://www8.garmin.com/...06-64C4A3257DA5.html
Last edited by: spudone: Jul 24, 19 14:49
Quote Reply
Re: Can you suggest your preferred settings for ensuring your Garmin 935 lasts the full IM distance? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did IMMT last year with my 10 month old 935. Had about 15% left after 13hrs.
Had normal GPS, HR, + 4sec light for run.
Turned off wifi and phone connection, but kept alarm on for fuel/drink (every 15min.) & mirror function on Garmin 130 for the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wondering about this too with first coming up and just upgraded garmin vivoactive HR to garmin 735xt, still unlikely to go full distance even with turning off GPS, etc. So is there anything to stop us from just switching out watches at T2? Past posts have talked about wearing two watches - that's a stretch for me, havent seen switching out discussed. Real question despite how rudimentary this sounds.
Quote Reply