Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can you pass Dallas Cowboy run fit test?
Quote | Reply
Cowboys require running backs and receivers be able to run 2 sets of 10 x 60yd sprints in less than 8 seconds each. Not sure of the rest intervals. That sounds pretty doable. Interestingly, one of their starting running backs failed this test in spring training.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you pass Dallas Cowboy run fit test? [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TxDude wrote:
Cowboys require running backs and receivers be able to run 2 sets of 10 x 60yd sprints in less than 8 seconds each. Not sure of the rest intervals. That sounds pretty doable. Interestingly, one of their starting running backs failed this test in spring training.

Totally depends on the rest interval.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you pass Dallas Cowboy run fit test? [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeing how its a pro nfl team, id guess the rest is anywhere from 15-60 seconds, not long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TxDude wrote:

Cause everybody can run two broken 600s at 4:00/mile pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you pass Dallas Cowboy run fit test? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
per mile pace doesn't really matter given how short the distances are, that said, I doubt there are many people on this board if any that can do that now unless they just came from a speed based sport at an elite level. Pro football players are fast when they don't do anything for a few months, if one of them failed it, its probably a damn hard drill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TxDude wrote:

I wouldn't worry so much about the sprints, whatever the measure. To run fast and then take a hit from a guy bigger than Lawrence Taylor and then get up and do it again and again is the real issue with football running backs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Felix Jones failed it I'm pretty sure I would too.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it involve a turnover 4 or 6 times per set?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to put in perspective, an elite baseball 60 yard dash is in the 6.5-6.7 range... average D1 athlete is at 7.0 with usually catchers and first baseman coming in right around the 8 second mark..

How that relates... I have no idea...

In order to complete this your anaerobic threshold would have to be pretty high... and since we are mostly aerobic athletes... this would probably be difficult

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that the majority of the people on ST who pass the "10*60 sprint test" would fail the "Get tackled by two, 265-lb linebackers test".
Sarge

"it's also a personal choice to remain ignorant" - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Can you pass Dallas Cowboy run fit test? [sgttriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2011 average linebacker weight is 'only' 242lbs. So, yes, sure ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure at 145 lbs, I would be dead from one hit from one of these guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't say if it was in full pads and cleats or not. Big difference.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this better prepare them for chasing down people who intercept Romo? (:

Rattlesnake Blake
With the "Venom Enom"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sgttriathlon wrote:
I'm guessing that the majority of the people on ST who pass the "10*60 sprint test" would fail the "Get tackled by two, 265-lb linebackers test".
Sarge

______

Not fail ....they would not SURVIVE!

Dave :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Can you pass Dallas Cowboy run fit test? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of a get together with some old soccer buddies.

We were at Paul's house watching MNF- who was the fastest guy on the team back in the day. By age 25, he had settled into
a desk job and put on 20-30 pounds. I was the guy who was always last on the first wind sprint, and first on the last one...
but I had been in training for a race and was doing a lot of sprints at the track... I think I was a few weeks away from my marathon PR
of 3:10 and figured I was as fast as I would ever be.

Probably around half-time, someone started talking shit about who was faster and before long 4-5 drunk guys are out in the parking lot
lining up for a sprint. IIRC I was the only one who was training regularly and I figured I had it in the bag.. but not so much.

Despite Paul's beer belly and my good fitness - he still beat me as badly he always had. Like the old ball coach said
'you can't teach speed'.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Can you pass Dallas Cowboy run fit test? [Hounddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You cannot wear pads in the offseason (that was collectively bargained). Also they do rolling starts, IE the clock starts when you move, not when the gun goes off.

So with all these "advantages," I can safely say that - still - less than three members of the ST nation can complete the set, even with a :90 RI.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you pass Dallas Cowboy run fit test? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
You cannot wear pads in the offseason (that was collectively bargained). Also they do rolling starts, IE the clock starts when you move, not when the gun goes off.

So with all these "advantages," I can safely say that - still - less than three members of the ST nation can complete the set, even with a :90 RI.

whoa...your saying 20x60 meters at ~4 min/mile pace with 90 seconds rest?

More folks than you think could do that...I'm probably not in 17:30 5k shape and I'm betting I could do it...

We did the Newton a while back...4 sets of 5x200 with decreasing rest...45 seconds, 30 seconds 20 seconds and then 10 seconds...the goal is to hold pace for all...I can start at 32-34 and hold pretty strong (the first set feels like a stroll)...falling apart to 37s in the final few (with basically no rest)...I'm fairly sure I could drop it to 30 second pace or a bit quicker for 20x60m given 90 seconds to recover...

Assuming I didn't tear a muscle...seeing as I'm old as dirt...Super hard workout though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not, but i'm a better QB than Romo.

uncle_evan wrote:
Maybe not, but i'm a better QB than Romo.
Your mom is a better QB than Romo... Actually my mom is too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of some past discussions about football being easy hard (answer its very hard)...

I doubt very many beyond some of the folks at the pointy end of the spear here at ST could do this. Most, if not, all top level AGers would likely fail.

Think about doing 10 x 60 x 2 at full bore speed, no pacing. Football coaches do not tolerate any "easy" reps as part of pacing - full on 110% every play, every rep.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: Can you pass Dallas Cowboy run fit test? [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found an article outlining the rest intervals. I would definitely fail.

"Each player had to run 60 yards in less than 8 seconds 20 times. There were two sets of 10 and between each set the players had two minutes of down time and between each sprint they had 30 seconds of down time."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/...-training-camp.html/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found details of the test: 2 sets of 10 x 60yd sprints, each less than 8 seconds. 20 seconds rest interval with a 2 minute rest between sets.

How about a ST challenge? I know I can't do it so I'm out. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an experience with pro-running back speed. A few years ago I was playing in my town's recreational, indoor men's soccer league. I considered myself pretty fast as I was younger than average (in my early 30's) and in decent shape (lol) having just completed an IM recently.
For one game I lined up against a short, black guy who was at least a decade older and unimpressive at first sight. I figured I would dominate him. I was wrong.
It turned out to be Mike 'pinball' Clemons - the famed Toronto Argonauts running back (CFL's all time leading rusher). Its not just the 60m speed, though his acceleration and top speed were much better than mine, but also his ability to cut and turn while going at that speed - I don't think many endurace atheletes could do what a pro running back does.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure I could. Probably not a big deal for any moderately successful former 400m or 800m HS runners who have maintained reasonable fitness.
Quote Reply

Prev Next