Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you beat my disc wheel tri-spoke combo?
Quote | Reply
Fellow weight watchers

I am looking for the lightest disc wheel and tri spoke combo.

Can anybody beat the Falcon Accell II disc wheel at 679 grams for a 700c tububular from www.falconsports.com combined with the Nimble Crosswind tri-spoke at 710 grams for a 700c (655 grams for a 650c) tubular from www.nimble.net ?????

Cheers AndyA
Quote Reply
Re: Can you beat my disc wheel tri-spoke combo? [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not got for quality and aerodynamics, the Accel only warranties the disc for 1 year, not a big fan of the "tensioned kevlar" idea, sounds scary ... also look at:

Disc: Zipp or Corima

Front Wheel: HED 3, fastest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
speaking of the Hed 3...

anyone know how the H3 compares to the Corima 4 spoke?

ie in terms of weight, aero data, durability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beat it in what area? Just weight? Or, does it have to be unbeatable in reliability? Often, the two are not synonymous. Also, I'd check the aerodynamics of the Crosswind very carefully, it didn't do well in my setup. Light? Yes. Reliable...I think it would be very reliable, it's very strong stuff. Aero...that's the big question. So when you say, can anyone beat X, by itself, weight just doesn't seem to be that important.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by MarcK [ In reply to ]
Re: Can you beat my disc wheel tri-spoke combo? [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy,

Is the wheel 700c tubular, 8/9spd cassette? If so...I'll take it off your hands.

Let me know please.

Dave
Quote Reply
Post deleted by MarcK [ In reply to ]
Re: Can you beat my disc wheel tri-spoke combo? [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobb has said that Aeroness is a function of rim depth. The Hed3 (to my knowledge) has a deeper rim depth than the Corima 4 spoke and any other aero-spoked type wheel like the Nimble.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Can you beat my disc wheel tri-spoke combo? [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To my understanding it's not as much rim depth as it is the surface area. The corima 4 spoke has more surface area with the 4 spokes, therefore it being more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you beat my disc wheel tri-spoke combo? [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your replies guys

I consider 'best' to be a combination of factors such as; aerodynamics, comfort, versatility, aesthetics, handling, weight, strength, reliability, and inherent transmission resistance to name but a few criteria for a fast wheel.

Conceded weight is not the only issue and I agree not even the most important factor, (if it was I would go for a 24c Falcon at 400 grams!). But, I was led to believe that the Falcon was a very aero wheel (having a lenticular disc) and was very, very strong (read reliable). The issues about duff hubs and the reasons behind a short one-year warranty could however potentially drop this wheel from the top of my 'best' disc list.

The truth be known though I really like Hed disc wheels; their new Kona Coast wins lots of points in the versatility stakes, especially if it becomes race legal in Hawaii. The Hed Superlight is tried and tested and the Hed 3D would look very sexy combined with a H3 front, but they are all so damn heavy at 1270, 1220 and 1240 grams respectively. That’s at least 540 grams of extra rotational mass whichever way you look at it. So all other things being equal the Falcon is very light and than cannot be a bad thing if you have to pull it up Richter Pass in the Canadian Ironman!

Regarding the Nimble Crosswind, I haven’t seen an independent test upon its comparative aerodynamics, but if you are to believe the company hype it's very aero. However as the H3 is only 80 grams heavier and I have seen some very good wind tunnel data for it I am happy to promote that to number one spot in the tri spoke standings.

I am not a millionaire and can only afford two wheels for all conditions and courses so let me pose my question another way "Money aside, if you had to race on only one set of wheels from now on what combination of disk and tri spoke would you choose?"

After listening to your advice my revised combination is at present still the Falcon disc with a better hub and a good explanation as to the limited warranty but now in combination with a Hed H3 front. Unless anybody can convince me they know a better setup!

Cheers again

AndyA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well now that you mention Richter Pass and Ironman Canada, my "A" race for this year is also Ironman Canada. I can tell you that in going over many options I am going to Canada first off with a Renn disk on the back. I still haven't decided exactly on which front wheel I am going with yet. Holding out to see what the Renn offering is on the front, other than that I am condsidering a Nimble Fly or Corima A-4. To me, for me, that is the best combination of light, aero and durability.

The thing that stikes me in your choices is what you are saving in weight on the disk weight, you are giving right back with a heavier weight front wheel compared to what is out there, give or take a few grams. Anyways, those are my choices and I am going there to race, not just finish, so you can figure that my equipement choices are important to me.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Can you beat my disc wheel tri-spoke combo? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks yet more food for thought.

Do you know where I can find out about the Law wheels people keep mentioning?

Andy A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LEW is defunct. Reynolds makes the wheels now.

http://www.reynoldscomposites.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaylew's correct, LEW is defunct; however, you could get a sweet deal on some LEWs from Craig at International Bicycle (617-783-5804). He's got a deal on 700c Palmeros, as well as other sets of wheels. I thought that Lew was a bunch of hype (as the website was hyped up), but seeing the wheels in the carbon was a revelation. I can't wait to see what Reynolds does with them.
Quote Reply