Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can running on treadmill make you more sore?
Quote | Reply
Dumb question. I've done some long runs of late and a lot longer than before i had to hit to treadmill and i'm finding my hips (esp) are getting tired/tight/sore in places I've not felt outside.

Treadmill ? or just something else ? I was thinking with the miles i had in the treadmill would be a relief
Quote Reply
Re: Can running on treadmill make you more sore? [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally hate running on them because it feels unnatural to me. You are reacting to a moving surface rather than driving off a stationary one. They feel foreign to me and my run motion isn't natural on them so I feel over stretched in places I don't feel after running on solid ground. Maybe the same for you and I am sure I would get used to it given time but I don't enjoy running on them so do all my runs outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most treadmills need to be @ 1-1.5% elevation to mimic normal outside neuromotor patterning. The % incline will vary. For instance 1.2% at my gym feels normal. 1.3% feels uphill 1.1% feels almost normal.

that may help solve the issue

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woah.. Was just thinking exactly the same myself recently. Did some intervals and long runs on the treadmill and I got a sharp pain in the front of the hip. Hip flexors I guess.
Maybe same would have happened outside but definitely made me think that myself. Maybe some mechanics are different on the treadmill
Quote Reply
Re: Can running on treadmill make you more sore? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals put together a pretty cool analysis on this a while back.

I find 1% to be around the sweet spot for me

Link: http://www.codybeals.com/...how-much-easier-are/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think it is the treadmill. My only running injuries have come from running on a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is just my experience from the 100/100 challenge I just finished. I was having some knee pain so I added the treadmill about mid January and found a 1% incline to be perfect for me. What was great was I was able to vary the incline and speed. I found no knee issues at 1 - 1.5%.Validating what everyone seems to be saying. I think I read 1% is like adding only .3 mph. I did not consider myself a runner and am over 60 so take it with a grain of salt! Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Can running on treadmill make you more sore? [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. For some context I ran hard for 2hrs on treadmill. The first 60 mins had variations in incline. i will admit i ran too hard and felt good and ran last 30mins way harder than I would ever do at 0 %. Why ? No idea- despite me telling people to do the opposite I help with training.

Moral of my story. I ran too hard on a treadmill for 2hrs and the last 30 mins at no incline.

I’m still sore and it’s day 4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Don't think this is a dumb question at all. Outside, the terrain varies so you are slightly using muscle variations. On the TM, it's the same plain, the entire time. Besides the idea of using the 1% incline, it may also help to change the incline a little bit every so often.

I cannot run on the TM for more than 30 minutes or my Achilles hurts
Quote Reply