Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace?
Quote | Reply
So after talking about running, working out, etc. in the office our 23 year old IT guy is convinced of the superiority of his natural athletic talent. He's about 5'9", 260 pounds, not muscular not obese, just a big round, wide dude. Says he played high school football, goes to the gym but mostly to tan and hang out and does P90X once in a while.

So we're going to to have a running race at the local track, I wanted to do it as me doing 1.5 miles him doing 1 mile. He wanted me doing 1 mile and him doing a half mile. So we settled on me running 1 1/4 miles and him running 3/4 mile. I figure I can cover the 1.25 in 6:15-6:30. So if he's doing 3/4 of a mile if he runs ~8:30 pace or better he's going to win.

Does he have a chance?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say he'd be lucky to hold 10:00/mile pace at that weight
Quote Reply
Re: Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace? [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even for that short of a time?

My hope is he sprints the first quarter and is staggering by the end.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without knowing a damn thing about the guy, I'd say so. If he's even remotely in shape, holding an 8:30 pace for 6 minutes should be pretty easy.

My roomate in college was a large dude who used to be an offensive lineman in high school. He could go out and run a 13 minute 2 miler even though he did very little running and what little exercise he did was lifting weights.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plugged in 240 lbs and 5'10" into one of those BMI calculators and got back 34.4 where over 30 means obese.

Hmmm. Only 23. 5 years out from high school football. If he was motivated and had more than 2 or 3 weeks to "train," I'd bet that he could pop out a few 2:00 quarters.

When is the race?

Jed

"If you want to ride by the Force, you had better make sure that you are a real Jedi." - FastYellow (6/13/2011)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwBkRn44 wrote:
So after talking about running, working out, etc. in the office our 23 year old IT guy is convinced of the superiority of his natural athletic talent. He's about 5'9", 260 pounds, not muscular not obese, just a big round, wide dude. Says he played high school football, goes to the gym but mostly to tan and hang out and does P90X once in a while.

So we're going to to have a running race at the local track, I wanted to do it as me doing 1.5 miles him doing 1 mile. He wanted me doing 1 mile and him doing a half mile. So we settled on me running 1 1/4 miles and him running 3/4 mile. I figure I can cover the 1.25 in 6:15-6:30. So if he's doing 3/4 of a mile if he runs ~8:30 pace or better he's going to win.

Does he have a chance?

Here will be his first 3 200 splits:

:45
:55
1:00

He will possibly quit at this point. If he runs it "right" then he should beat you. He is 23 and works out a little. He should be able to un 3/4 in 6:15 even if he is 260.
Quote Reply
Re: Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace? [trijedi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say no and that he starts walking after one lap of the track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's especially sunny at the track that day, he might have an advantage thanks to his tanning training.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace? [trijedi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When is the race?

I want to do it soon. He told me he starts training today and that his plan was to go to the gym do 45 minutes of cardio, lift for an hour, work on his core, another 45 minutes worth of cardio then do P90X when he gets home. So he'll probably be hurt before it even starts.

He said he uses the elliptical because the bike and treadmill are for sissies.

But he's not the smartest dude, I am hoping if I go flying off the line he'll be tempted to chase and will absolutely blow up on the last quarter.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he beats you. 3 laps is a pretty short distance and 8:30 is pretty slow. You better get your 1.25 down to for more confidence
Last edited by: npage148: Jun 4, 12 13:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwBkRn44 wrote:
So after talking about running, working out, etc. in the office

Your first mistake.
Not sure how you come out winning anything, no matter how the "race" goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 8-yo daughter can run a mile in ~9 minutes, so despite your co-workers perceived "size disadvantage," I think you're going to get beat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwBkRn44 wrote:

Does he have a chance?

Sorry, even outside of ST land that is not normal. But yes he does have a chance but why don't you just up the speed a bit and make sure eh? ;-) Could be embarrassing.
Quote Reply
Re: Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your first mistake.

I really tried to avoid the discussion as much as possible. I don't really talk about the stuff at work other than with a close friend or two. But I work in Boston and was out on Marathon Monday to run so the topic came up afterwards.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I bet he doesn't show up.
Quote Reply
Re: Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
SwBkRn44 wrote:

Your first mistake.

This. No talkie about religion or politics or your workout regimen, unless you already know where the co-worker sits on the matter. People offend very easily when you bring that stuff up. Yes the workout/weight is right up there with the other two no-nos. Egos get bruised when large people are reminded of their largeness. When egos are bruised the people will skip on over to HR office to denounce you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one of my co workers challenge me to a race as well. I refused becasue of 2 things:

1. Just about everyone can sprint fast for a short distance

2. What did I have to gain by beating him? If I win, I did nothing more than beat an out shape smoker. If he wins he gains a whole lot more... "look at me I dont work out and I am just as fast as Tom"

I
Quote Reply
Re: Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Egos get bruised when large people are reminded of their largeness. When egos are bruised the people will skip on over to HR office to denounce you.

As I said to someone else, I didn't bring it up.

And he's a great guy, he and I are good friends. He thinks he's jacked and thinks I am scrawny and we laugh about it. It's all in good fun, that's for sure.

But I still want to beat him.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
stillrollin wrote:
SwBkRn44 wrote:

Your first mistake.

This. No talkie about religion or politics or your workout regimen, unless you already know where the co-worker sits on the matter. People offend very easily when you bring that stuff up. Yes the workout/weight is right up there with the other two no-nos. Egos get bruised when large people are reminded of their largeness. When egos are bruised the people will skip on over to HR office to denounce you.

Unless it's couched as a "safety issue", in which case talking about fitness is obligatory. The industry I work takes safety to an extreme level, and health, ergonomics and fitness are considered part of the program. Not that it's enforced the same way as other safety issues, but stil...

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you reverse it on him somehow?
Can you set up some sort of weightlifting contest that sways the advantage to you?

How will the race be run? Will you both start at the same time, but you need to run 2 extra laps? Or maybe you run 2 laps and he gets to start once you cross the start line for the 2nd time?
Or will it be a time trial?

If it is going to be a hot day, try to start later so it is hot. Or if he likes to party, schedule for a Saturday morning after he has been out drinking all night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally understand this and I think the comp is actually a very fun idea. With that said though, I think you comped your advantage too much. 1200 meters, even for an out of shape person isn't THAT much of a stretch, distance wise, and if he races even remotely intelligently I think he's got a pretty good shot. You're right, if he completely blows it at the beginning you are likely going to win, and I think your idea of going out, somewhat, fast makes sense. Just don't overdo it, remember, your race pace is already going to seem fast to him, so don't cripple yourself by overly showing off.

Also, if it's close at the end, either blow by him with well over 100M to go, or pip him right at the end with him having no chance to recover. I've been incredibly surprised by how hard most people can push, for a little bit, if the really have to.

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply
Re: Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace? [vtlars] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Re: Can my coworker run 3/4 mile at ~8:30 pace? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one of my co workers challenge me to a race as well. I refused becasue of 2 things:

1. Just about everyone can sprint fast for a short distance

2. What did I have to gain by beating him? If I win, I did nothing more than beat an out shape smoker. If he wins he gains a whole lot more... "look at me I dont work out and I am just as fast as Tom"

He's a good guy and there is no mean spirit to this challenge at all. We're both willing and ready to accept to ribbing that the winner will give the loser. It's all in fun.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have insisted on the "you running 1.5 miles and him running 1 mile" format ... Although you have the speed advantage it's the endurance advantage that's really your ace in the hole. Based on your current format I say he wins if he paces correctly.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have been hustled.
Quote Reply

Prev Next