Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road?
Quote | Reply
I've been hit by a car 2 years ago and since then I don't ride outside as much. It's hard being a triathlete and having to train in TT position on open roads, but there is no substitute for the real road like riding in the wind and avoiding potholes. Sharing it with cars is a sacrifice we have to make.

Any safety product that keeps us visible on the road and alerts us of incoming cars is a miracle.

Now that I've finally discovered and got the Garmin RTL510 radar tail light, I'm a believer. Cars can now see me and I can see them sneaking up!

If you have one, please chime in with your experience. If you don't have one and wonder what it is, here is an in-depth review:

https://www.cake.co/...-me-safe-on-the-road

Last edited by: Vilen: Aug 9, 19 10:55
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [Vilen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are several threads on the Varia with a common theme: Now that I have it, I wouldn't be without it.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ck_Question_P6384411
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...OU_safer%3F_P6763146
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...thoughts%3F_P6637321
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, these are great threads. Thank you for sharing them!

How long have you been riding with your bike radar? What kind of riding do you mostly use it for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no way I would ride on the road without this. Great for make left turns, first you check the screen to see if there are any cars then turn around and look. Highly recommend and worth every cent.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I have had them for about 2 years. I started with the 1st gen when it went on sale, and I needed a rear light anyway. I fell in love with it and bought a 2nd gen soon after it came out. I use it for road riding. It only fits on my road bike for now, because the rear configuration of my TT bike doesn't really have room. But, I rarely ride my TT bike on an open road.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for chiming in with your long term experience, exxxviii! The fact that you've been riding for 2 years with both generations of the radar gives me even more confidence in it.

I also found it difficult to find a good position on a TT bike as the rubber band that is included can barely stretch that far. I fear that it would snap during a ride sending my radar tumbling to the ground. So I used a spare Garmin upfront mount and hacked it on the seatpost (pics in the review link in the first post) and it feels more secure now.

I'm thinking of making a similar mount for my road bike so that it is always there and is easy to swap between the two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vilen wrote:
Thank you for chiming in with your long term experience, exxxviii! The fact that you've been riding for 2 years with both generations of the radar gives me even more confidence in it.

I also found it difficult to find a good position on a TT bike as the rubber band that is included can barely stretch that far. I fear that it would snap during a ride sending my radar tumbling to the ground. So I used a spare Garmin upfront mount and hacked it on the seatpost (pics in the review link in the first post) and it feels more secure now.

I'm thinking of making a similar mount for my road bike so that it is always there and is easy to swap between the two.
If your road bike has a round seat post, get this mount. Garmin used to package this fixed mount with the original RTL500 version, but they deleted it for the RTL510. It is worth the spend.

https://www.amazon.com/...644-11/dp/B015CDO9EM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yikes. $25 for something that should be included has me pretty salty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That mount is exactly what I was looking for!

I didn't even know it existed. I don't mind paying $25 for a high quality mount, but I think it should have been included in the box with the RTL 510 even if the total price is higher.

Thanks for the link! I've added it to my shopping cart and will be checking out soon ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, but it is not in the box and I need it. $25 for a much more secure mount for a $199 gadget is a stretch, but better than snapping rubber bands during a ride.

Perhaps they didn't include it to keep the price point. There are so many more new bikes with aero seatposts they probably didn't want to bother with multiple adapters. Rubber bands aren't great, but they fit a lot more seatposts.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
yikes. $25 for something that should be included has me pretty salty.
Yep. I am glad that I kept mine from my gen 1 Varia. My buddy who started with a Gen 2 and did not like the unreliable band mount definitely felt chafed when he bought this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased for two reasons:

#1 - I live in a rural region with mostly no shoulders and pickup trucks barreling down country rounds. 90% of the time I hear the Varia beep long before I hear the vehicle coming, usually due to wind noise at speed. Allows me to hog more of the road the majority of the time and stay away from the gutter trash, and also post beep whip my head around to both check the demeanor of the vehicle, and let them know that I clearly see them, which tends to dissuade them from doing the surprise swerve/honk or other such tactics.

#2 - I've transitioned from Ironman and almost always closed bike courses, to extreme long distance tris with almost always open bike courses. Again it's advantageous to know when I can hog the lane and when I need to move over, especially going up endless switchbacks in the Alps on one-ish lane roads.

Would absolutely buy again, except I would buy it even sooner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got one... So far I am very impressed. I don't think the actual light is very good though. I am trying to figure out a way to rig up the Varia and my old tail light so I can be seen better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has actually been on my wishlist for awhile now but alas not compatible with the Wahoo Bolt and I’m not willing to switch back to Garmin cycle computers. If it ever works with the Bolt I’ll get one immediately.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do make a small standalone head unit that you could mount next to wahoo, but it is $299 for both:

Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
This has actually been on my wishlist for awhile now but alas not compatible with the Wahoo Bolt and I’m not willing to switch back to Garmin cycle computers. If it ever works with the Bolt I’ll get one immediately.

The ANT+ radar profile was made public in 2017 - it's a shame that Wahoo hasn't bothered implementing it. Beyond basic bike computer functionality it's pretty much the only item on my must have list for a new head unit (which currently means Garmin only).

https://www.thisisant.com/...ice-profile-released

It's no substitute for looking, but is invaluable in getting early situational awareness. I use mine daily for commuting and move it over to whatever bike I'm currently riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been cycling for roughly 17 years now and the Varia system is hands down one of the best things I have ever purchased. It makes me feel more secure while riding outside and safer when I am out in the country. I lost one recently and felt lost without it!

In case anyone has a specialized saddle you can print an awesome mount for it:

Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been riding with a bar mounted mirror for almost 20 years. No vibrations, up to one mile visibility, requires no batteries. Less than 20 bucks. Don't understand why anyone would need anything more or less or else.

Last edited by: TJ56: Aug 9, 19 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one on a sale based on a review from DCRainmaker...its fantastic...even in a place like DK where you normally have bike paths. He was right...now that I have it I can't imagine not having it.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 2 or 3 years on my Varia, and I will NOT ride without it. I took two of the "o-ring" type bands that they give you, and bound them together for a longer reach around the aero seat post. I also use two to hold the mount on as sometimes the bumps are a bit rough. I could not tell you how many people I've converted into buying a Varia. Other than a smart trainer, one of the most important things I've ever bought for riding, and well worth every single cent.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
I've been riding with a bar mounted mirror for almost 20 years. No vibrations, up to one mile visibility, requires no batteries. Less than 20 bucks. Don't understand why anyone would need anything more or less or else.

Varia:
  1. will show multiple dots for multiple cars. Mirror can only see the first one.
  2. can be configured to beep when it sees a car.
  3. can see around some shallow corners and into direct sunlight
  4. is also a light...helps them to see you
  5. looks better.

The vast majority of people who try Varia love it. The people who think it is worthless largely have never used it. (There is a small minority who have tried and don't like it...cool.) It OK to be in the second or third group, but you cannot deny the scores of people, several above, who would gladly pay another $200 to replace a lost varia rather than $20 for a mirror.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never ride without the Varia unless I'm in a race. When it goes off, I get out of aero so cars can see me. So worth the cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
The vast majority of people who try Varia love it.

This. Also, the key difference between this and a $20 mirror is that the Varia actively warns you of approaching threats. To do the same with a mirror would require keeping one eye on the mirror at all times, or at least frequently glancing down.

The other thing that I like about it is (according to Garmin's promotional video, I can't confirm as I've never driven behind my own bike / or another Varia user) is that the flashing pattern changes depending on how fast the car is closing in, yet another way to grab the driver's attention.

One thing I wish it did, is if it would function as a brake light of sorts, under heavy braking. Seems this would be easily accomplished in a future revision equipped with an accelerometer.
Quote Reply
Re: Can a flashy bike radar keep you safe on the road? [brianwchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brianwchan wrote:
the flashing pattern changes depending on how fast the car is closing in, yet another way to grab the driver's attention.
yes, this works. And it has a huge side benefit...when I ride in groups with others, I tell people that if they see my tail light flashing, it means there is a car approaching. So, one Varia owner can help a group of riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your in a group and others have Garmin Edge, they can also "link" to the radar and if they are close enough can get the info sent to their garmin as well. Probaly within 2-3 bikes usually?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next