Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed?
Quote | Reply
It's a Bontrager Aeolus 9.0 circa 2009/2010
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just buy a machined cassette. Much easier than upgrading the freehub.

These have worked great for me:
https://www.ebay.com/...7:g:AgIAAOSw9fRZ2Dqc

Also have used Lasco but they are a bit pricey:
https://www.lascoconcept.com/en/11s-cassette/
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you asking if the hub on it will accept an 11-speed cassette?

ETA. If so, I have a similar question about my 2013 Bontrager RXL wheel.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Jul 23, 19 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um, wow wait. So I have a Zipp 808 10 speed only and now have an 11 speed bike. I was about to sell the wheel and instead can just buy this cassette. Thank you!

How do they do it, they machine down the gaps between the chain rings, not sure I follow?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just machine the extra 1.8mm on the back of the cassette to force it to slide on a bit further. Works like a charm

I've run them on a Sub 9 disc, 900 disc, and a 404 that all had 10spd hubs. Way cheaper than upgrading to a new wheelset

Edit: 1.8mm not 1.3mm
Last edited by: indianacyclist: Jul 23, 19 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhhhmmm, a hub cassette body is like $35 online and takes like 5 minutes to swap. What's so hard or expensive about that?

Then you can just use a normal cassette.

Just research the wheel and which body to buy. Someone will have done it. I'd rather do that than spend premium on a machined cassette.

Some folks also take a file to the body if they have clearance at the spokes (ie, you don't run a 23t biggest cog).

I did the body swap on my Giant PSLR wheelset to 11spd.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you talking about? You will still run into the issue that 11 cogs will not fit onto a 10spd freehub body. That is the entire point of machining the cassette body down by 1.8mm. If you have access to a CNC machine or a local shop, you could buy a cheap 11spd Ultegra/Force cassette and do it yourself to save $50-80.
Last edited by: indianacyclist: Jul 23, 19 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Uhhhmmm, a hub cassette body is like $35 online and takes like 5 minutes to swap. What's so hard or expensive about that?

Then you can just use a normal cassette.

Just research the wheel and which body to buy. Someone will have done it. I'd rather do that than spend premium on a machined cassette.

Some folks also take a file to the body if they have clearance at the spokes (ie, you don't run a 23t biggest cog).

I did the body swap on my Giant PSLR wheelset to 11spd.

That’s not an option with a lot of wheels. I’m using specialized trispokes and wouldn’t be able to swap the cassette body, because the wheel can’t be re-dished

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's not talking about redishing the wheel. You can either machine the cassette body or the cassette to get the gears to slide further inboard. Nothing else needs to be changed.

As he mentions, clearance can be an issue if the hub was optimized for 10spd, as there won't be room between the spokes and largest cog. If you use a 28t or bigger though, pretty much any will fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Ultegra 11-34, 11 speed cassette will fit on a 10 speed hub

Shimano Ultegra CS-HG800 11-Speed 11-34 Cassette

Also, I thought there was 1.8mm difference and not 1.3mm

That's how much I had a friend take off a cassette body to convert one 10 speed wheel to an 11 speed. That cassette body had enough material on it to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carboner wrote:

You will be able to make your wheel 11 speed by replacing the freehub body with W431450 which you can order in from your Bontrager/Trek dealer.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
He's not talking about redishing the wheel. You can either machine the cassette body or the cassette to get the gears to slide further inboard. Nothing else needs to be changed.

As he mentions, clearance can be an issue if the hub was optimized for 10spd, as there won't be room between the spokes and largest cog. If you use a 28t or bigger though, pretty much any will fit.

No, the person I was responding to was talking about replacing the freehub body. The 11s freehub body is longer than the 8-9-10s one, so the wheel needs to be re-dished to get the tire in the center of the frame (in most cases)...

Machining the cassette or cassette body is a different matter.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference is actually 1.85mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
carboner wrote:

You will be able to make your wheel 11 speed by replacing the freehub body with W431450 which you can order in from your Bontrager/Trek dealer.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I knew you could, I just wasn't going to look up the specific part for his bike.

Kudos to Mitch@Trek.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The 11s freehub body is longer than the 8-9-10s one, so the wheel needs to be re-dished to get the tire in the center of the frame (in most cases)...

Only if the new freehub also requires axle mods. If it's just the freehub, then you won't need to dish the wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*generally* no need to redish when going to 11 whether xd driver or normal. New rotor or AXS 12 needs a redish.

In terms of machining enough people have done it specifically with Ultegra that it is probably ok (lots of meat back there) but definitely hasn’t been tested for safety etc. No way in hell would I be selling them.

I wouldn’t machine a sram or DA cassette.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch,

Would this be the same part number for wheels that came with my 2012 Speed Concept 7.8 (Aura 5 i believe)?

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Page 4 of this document
http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/..._hub_bearing_qrg.pdf

Aura 5.0 yes

Aura 5.0 TLR yes
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on 10s zipps you can even put on the fw body for campy groups and a 11s campy cassette
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really helpful document, thanks!

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
rruff wrote:

No, the person I was responding to was talking about replacing the freehub body. The 11s freehub body is longer than the 8-9-10s one, so the wheel needs to be re-dished to get the tire in the center of the frame (in most cases)...

Actually, the freehub body on an 11s isn't necessarily longer, it's the axle that is 1mm longer than on 11s hubs vs 10s ones. Take HED for example, they have an 11s upgrade kit for older wheels that are compatible which includes the 11s freehub body and the new 11s axle that is 1mm longer than the previous axle. Because of that extra width they recommend redishing the wheel when doing the upgrade.

But, in reality you don't have to redish it for such a small amount (you are talking moving the dish 0.5mm or so to center it again). HED says it is not possible to upgrade older 10s disc wheels (the rear racing ones, not the disc brakes) because you can't easily redish it (I suspect because of the bonded disc cover could warp when messing with the dish and also the axle setup is different). But, I was able to easily replace the freehub body with a 11s on said older 10s HED disc, not redish and it worked perfectly fine reusing the same axle design for 10s width. Just had to adjust the brakes accordingly since it wasn't perfectly centered anymore.

Also, it is not necessarily just $35 to upgrade a freehub body to 11s. It depends on which hub. The HED one is $150 or so for a full kit (freehub body and axle), a DT Swiss one is $80 or so for the freehub body (no axle required). At least that is what I ended up paying to upgrade some HED Jet wheels (a set of 5 express) and my DT240S hubs to 11 speed. I found a 11s freehub body used on ebay that was used to upgrade an older C2 (23mm wide) HED Jet disc to 11s and ran fine for me (no complaints that I'm aware of from the guy I sold it to....won a HED Jet+ Disc in a raffle is only reason I sold it).
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrimalSteve wrote:
Hi Mitch,

Would this be the same part number for wheels that came with my 2012 Speed Concept 7.8 (Aura 5 i believe)?

Sure would!

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Can I upgrade my wheel to 11 speed? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
rruff wrote:

Actually, the freehub body on an 11s isn't necessarily longer, it's the axle that is 1mm longer than on 11s hubs vs 10s ones. Take HED for example, they have an 11s upgrade kit for older wheels that are compatible which includes the 11s freehub body and the new 11s axle that is 1mm longer than the previous axle. Because of that extra width they recommend redishing the wheel when doing the upgrade.

But, in reality you don't have to redish it for such a small amount (you are talking moving the dish 0.5mm or so to center it again). HED says it is not possible to upgrade older 10s disc wheels (the rear racing ones, not the disc brakes) because you can't easily redish it (I suspect because of the bonded disc cover could warp when messing with the dish and also the axle setup is different). But, I was able to easily replace the freehub body with a 11s on said older 10s HED disc, not redish and it worked perfectly fine reusing the same axle design for 10s width. Just had to adjust the brakes accordingly since it wasn't perfectly centered anymore.

Also, it is not necessarily just $35 to upgrade a freehub body to 11s. It depends on which hub. The HED one is $150 or so for a full kit (freehub body and axle), a DT Swiss one is $80 or so for the freehub body (no axle required). At least that is what I ended up paying to upgrade some HED Jet wheels (a set of 5 express) and my DT240S hubs to 11 speed. I found a 11s freehub body used on ebay that was used to upgrade an older C2 (23mm wide) HED Jet disc to 11s and ran fine for me (no complaints that I'm aware of from the guy I sold it to....won a HED Jet+ Disc in a raffle is only reason I sold it).

Interesting, learn something new every day.

The Spec Trispoke / Hed 3 uses what appears to be a 8/9/10 Shimano freehub body. Now I'm wondering if I can upgrade it?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next