Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I please get eyes on this fit data?
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hoping to get some advice from the bike fit gurus here.

I recently got a fit from a Retul certified master fitter and he fit me at:

Saddle Height over BB: 637
Saddle Setback: 164
Rise from Saddle to Bars: 64 (I believe this is 6cm drop…?)
Reach from Saddle to Bars: 1022
Pad Stack: 680
Pad Reach: 476

The fitter characterized the fit as fairly aggressive for someone who does 70.3s (2:20-ish bike splits). I got some immediate feedback from someone else who is knowledgeable that 680 is a very high stack, especially if you’re calling it an aggressive position. When I shared this feedback with my fitter, he explained that I have long legs relative to my torso, so do need a pretty tall bike. I'm 72in and have a ~33in inseam.

The fitter made recommendations for bikes I should look at. Unsurprisingly, brands he sells were at the top of the list. I don’t fault him for that one bit, but I’d like to get a second opinion before I pull the trigger.

I have two questions for folks here who are knowledgeable about such things:

1. Are these numbers unusual?
2. What bikes would you recommend for someone with the above coordinates? (Or can you point me to a good resource to find this answer myself?)

I’d be very grateful for whatever input you have.
Last edited by: mediumslow: Feb 1, 20 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Can I please get eyes on this fit data? [mediumslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some videos of you on the fit bike would be very helpful. The fitter should have some they can send you if you don't have it with the numbers right now.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Can I please get eyes on this fit data? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I'll ask if I can get the vids. Probably won't post it on a public forum, but would happily PM it if you're willing to take a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mediumslow wrote:

The fitter characterized the fit as fairly aggressive...

This thread is difficult without pictures, but this statement alone is a huge red flag...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mediumslow wrote:
Thank you. I'll ask if I can get the vids. Probably won't post it on a public forum, but would happily PM it if you're willing to take a look.

In addition to all your fit coordinates, prescriptions for new bikes and prescriptions for cockpit configurations on said bikes, a good fit report should include any before and after videos or pics.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Can I please get eyes on this fit data? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

This thread is difficult without pictures, but this statement alone is a huge red flag...

Can you tell me more about why? (Not being difficult, I'd love to hear it)

I've requested the pictures etc from the fitter so should hopefully have some pics to share soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask the fitter for a video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mediumslow wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

I've requested the pictures etc from the fitter so should hopefully have some pics to share soon.

Because a) you’re offering subjective comments that aren't reality or can’t really be reflected in the numbers you gave us... it’s relative; b) we can solve the problem without any numbers at all with a fit video; and c) we can judge the quality of your fit and frame the information coming from you and your fitter thru that lens, which helps us construct a response

Make sense?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
mediumslow wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Because a) you’re offering subjective comments that aren't reality or can’t really be reflected in the numbers you gave us... it’s relative; b) we can solve the problem without any numbers at all with a fit video; and c) we can judge the quality of your fit and frame the information coming from you and your fitter thru that lens, which helps us construct a response

Make sense?

Makes sense, thanks. I'll bump this thread when I get some pics/vids to share.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The video should be shot from your side so we can see leg extension and all of the angles of your hips, torso, and arms.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Feb 1, 20 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: Can I please get eyes on this fit data? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
The video should be shot from your side so we can see leg extension and all of the angles of your hips, torso, and arms.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I find that my fitter's eye is sensitive to camera positional effects, fisheye lens effects, as well as non-parallel or perpendicular lines within the shot. I like it when the camera is perfectly centered on the rider and perfectly parallel to the rider as well, with the trainer mat or whatever also perfectly aligned.

Makes a difference.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a fitter by any means, but I can't imagine a pad stack and reach of 680 and 476 being aggressive no matter what your morphology.

Think about where those numbers would put you on Dan's "orthodoxy" chart:

...you would be way, way up above the highlighted range. Even though people can argue with the boundaries of that shaded region, I think they'd all agree that 680/476 is very high.

I also have a short torso and long legs and at 6'2" I'm only a bit taller than you. My pad stack and pad reach are 670 and 530 (±a mm or two, I've been tinkering a bit).

I'd also say that your fitter should be able to tell you all the bikes that would work with your coordinates. And where different bikes fall on the list of recommendations shouldn't correlate with their inventory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
mediumslow wrote:

The fitter characterized the fit as fairly aggressive...

AGGRESSIVE!!! It only works well if you use all caps and many exclamation marks.

Personally when discussing fit I prefer, rapacious, pugnacious, bellicose or quarrelsome.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is not 64mm drop, that is 64mm of rise, ie 6 cm above saddle and as it said …..rise from saddle to bars saddle height 637 pad stack 680

even for the folks that like to toss the term aggressive around, it has never been used in reference to sitting upright
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mediumslow wrote:
Hi there,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hoping to get some advice from the bike fit gurus here.

I recently got a fit from a Retul certified master fitter and he fit me at:

Saddle Height over BB: 637
Saddle Setback: 164
Rise from Saddle to Bars: 64 (I believe this is 6cm drop…?)
Reach from Saddle to Bars: 1022
Pad Stack: 680
Pad Reach: 476

The fitter characterized the fit as fairly aggressive for someone who does 70.3s (2:20-ish bike splits). I got some immediate feedback from someone else who is knowledgeable that 680 is a very high stack, especially if you’re calling it an aggressive position. When I shared this feedback with my fitter, he explained that I have long legs relative to my torso, so do need a pretty tall bike. I'm 72in and have a ~33in inseam.

The fitter made recommendations for bikes I should look at. Unsurprisingly, brands he sells were at the top of the list. I don’t fault him for that one bit, but I’d like to get a second opinion before I pull the trigger.

I have two questions for folks here who are knowledgeable about such things:

1. Are these numbers unusual?
2. What bikes would you recommend for someone with the above coordinates? (Or can you point me to a good resource to find this answer myself?)

We don’t need a video to see that likely all that data is wrong. You even should know when you typed it.
At 182 cm you can’t have a saddle height of 63,7 cm, a saddle setback of 16,4 cm is impossible, it is indeed with this data that your armpads are way above the saddle height.
And since the setback is wrong also you saddle to bars is wrong

Also 33 inch inseam must be wrong with a 72 inch (=182 - 183 cm) if you have long legs. If it is right you would have short legs, really short legs.

So check the data and post again,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Can I please get eyes on this fit data? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
mediumslow wrote:

We don’t need a video to see that likely all that data is wrong. You even should know when you typed it.
At 182 cm you can’t have a saddle height of 63,7 cm, a saddle setback of 16,4 cm is impossible, it is indeed with this data that your armpads are way above the saddle height.
And since the setback is wrong also you saddle to bars is wrong

Also 33 inch inseam must be wrong with a 72 inch (=182 - 183 cm) if you have long legs. If it is right you would have short legs, really short legs.

So check the data and post again,

Jeroen

Thank you Jeroen (and others). This kind of "strictly by the math" analysis is what caused me to post in the first place. Something seemed odd, but since this is my first real fit I wasn't sure if I was misinterpreting. I typed the numbers above correctly based on a photo I snapped of the fit screen, but I've reached out to the fitter for a full fit report and a video so I can double check what's happening. I know that there was drop from seat to pads, not rise, so obviously something is out of whack. Hoping to have more info soon. I really appreciate the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
63.7 cm saddle height is for somebody shorter than 5 ft tall. He shoud have Zinn'd the Retul bike to record all data points if you did motion capture. Post that. Think those #'s are not what he measured.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I please get eyes on this fit data? [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
80 sounds more realistic maybe 82-83
Quote Reply
Re: Can I please get eyes on this fit data? [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re right. I heard back from the fitter that the height and offset numbers Are not calibrated for his saddle changer, and that basically only stack and reach are relevant in what I posted. Still hoping to get a video.
Quote Reply