Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I get rear electronic shifting only instead of both?
Quote | Reply
My rear shifter blew up and I'm considering getting Ultegra Di2. Can I get just the right shifter and rear derailleur for the time being and then get the front/left part later after I save up a few more bucks? Or do they have to be installed as one unit?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get rear electronic shifting only instead of both? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a Di2 expert. But if you can do 1x11 safely (there is a recent thread saying you can) I don't see why not.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get rear electronic shifting only instead of both? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1x setups are fine with Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just won't get FD auto trim which is a really awesome feature. But at least start with rear and then add front when you have the coin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can, but I don't see why you would. Getting an Ultegra di2 setup (and that's shifters, derailleurs, battery, j-boxes, and wires only, not including brakes or cranks) is about $1,000 online, unless you have a totally sweet deal. It's really really tough to buy shifters separately - after that you are only saving ~$100- $150 for the FD. Which you can do if you want. But from all the electronic converts the absolute best thing about having di2 IS the front shifting. I have thought about taking one of my bikes to di2 but haven't due to the cost. I couldn't imagine laying out $850 to get halfway there and not going the whole way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
My rear shifter blew up and I'm considering getting Ultegra Di2. Can I get just the right shifter and rear derailleur for the time being and then get the front/left part later after I save up a few more bucks? Or do they have to be installed as one unit?

Yes but buying the individual parts as opposed to the complete kit will probably cost more. The only thing you are saving is the FD and one shifter.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get rear electronic shifting only instead of both? [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice, thanks!

Can the 11-speed be programmed to work on my 10 speed cassette? To go 11, I think I have to send my PowerTap wheel off to Saris for them to switch out the freehub from a 10 to 11, and then also recalibrate it. Since my shifter broke, I'm thinking it would be nice to run the Di2 at 10 for now, then send off my wheel to get it converted when I have some downtime after my next race, then switch the 10 speed Di2 to 11. I saw the older model could upgrade from 10 to 11, wondering if the new model can downgrade from 11 to 10 for the time being...

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Good advice, thanks!

Can the 11-speed be programmed to work on my 10 speed cassette? To go 11, I think I have to send my PowerTap wheel off to Saris for them to switch out the freehub from a 10 to 11, and then also recalibrate it. Since my shifter broke, I'm thinking it would be nice to run the Di2 at 10 for now, then send off my wheel to get it converted when I have some downtime after my next race, then switch the 10 speed Di2 to 11. I saw the older model could upgrade from 10 to 11, wondering if the new model can downgrade from 11 to 10 for the time being...

No, but you can buy the 11 speed kit and then replace the FD and RD with the 10 speed items until you get you wheel upgraded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I'd just replace the broken shifter with a 105, if you can find somebody selling one separately it would be under $100. If you're talking bar-end shifter then even less to replace it.

Electronic looks like a nice upgrade and I'll almost certainly get it on my next new bike (where the cost delta from mechanical to electronic isn't that big), but simply doesn't look like it offers enough benefits to justify upgrading an existing bike. Same with 11 speed frankly. Obviously some people are happy to throw cash at always having the latest and greatest on their bike, and best of luck to them, but if you're worried about saving up a few more bucks before doing the full upgrade I reckon you're better off saving those bucks altogether.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Personally I'd just replace the broken shifter with a 105, if you can find somebody selling one separately it would be under $100. If you're talking bar-end shifter then even less to replace it.

Electronic looks like a nice upgrade and I'll almost certainly get it on my next new bike (where the cost delta from mechanical to electronic isn't that big), but simply doesn't look like it offers enough benefits to justify upgrading an existing bike. Same with 11 speed frankly. Obviously some people are happy to throw cash at always having the latest and greatest on their bike, and best of luck to them, but if you're worried about saving up a few more bucks before doing the full upgrade I reckon you're better off saving those bucks altogether.

This. I recently had to replace a brake/shifter combo on my road bike that I use mainly on the trainer -- I found a set of 105 10 speed levers for $120 on ebay -- I was having trouble finding a single shifter. If it is a bar end shifter you can get a set of new Dura Ace 10 speed bar end shifters new for about $40 (nashbar).
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get rear electronic shifting only instead of both? [Rrr8400] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in a town with no real tri shop, so all my LBS had in a pinch is a 8-speed mechanical lever. We put it into friction mode instead of index, and it actually works. Looks goofy as hell, but will have to do until I figure out the best solution. Thanks for everybody's help!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no
Quote Reply