Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I build a budget 1x with etap?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
Trying to get my head around how I can do this at the lowest possible cost:

Building my first TT bike on a budget frame, I’d like to use an etap 1x setup if possible.

Now, I’d like to save money and use Shimano cranks, because I already own Shimano power meters, so when I go outdoors on my TT bike I can just swap one off a road bike, rather than buy another power meter.

I’m thinking:
- whatever Shimano cranks I can get at the correct length (165) even if it’s just the right hand crank (I have spare left hands, and will be swapping for power meter).
- a 1x chainring (diamond, d2z etc.)
- sram “aero” etap TT 1x groupset

Now... is there a way I can use all my wheels from my shimano groupsetted bikes? Can I somehow get a 12 speed cassette on these wheels? Or is there a totally better way around this?
(Setting up di2 with one deraillieur, 2 handlebar blips and tt pole shifters is quite expensive and involves a lot of cabling)
Quote Reply
Re: Can I build a budget 1x with etap? [BenScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenScott wrote:
Hi all,
Trying to get my head around how I can do this at the lowest possible cost:

Building my first TT bike on a budget frame, I’d like to use an etap 1x setup if possible.

Now, I’d like to save money and use Shimano cranks, because I already own Shimano power meters, so when I go outdoors on my TT bike I can just swap one off a road bike, rather than buy another power meter.

I’m thinking:
- whatever Shimano cranks I can get at the correct length (165) even if it’s just the right hand crank (I have spare left hands, and will be swapping for power meter).
- a 1x chainring (diamond, d2z etc.)
- sram “aero” etap TT 1x groupset

Now... is there a way I can use all my wheels from my shimano groupsetted bikes? Can I somehow get a 12 speed cassette on these wheels? Or is there a totally better way around this?
(Setting up di2 with one deraillieur, 2 handlebar blips and tt pole shifters is quite expensive and involves a lot of cabling)

you're going to run into compatibility issues, the AXS chain has a different roller size than a standard chain, meaning it may or may not work on a shimano crankset (and I don't think SRAM makes chainrings) (there may be a 3rd party chainring manufacturer though who makes AXS compatible chainrings, not sure about that).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you set on AXS? You could likely do it for MUCH cheaper if you went with the 11sp etap group.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Can I build a budget 1x with etap? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the topic of chainrings - an aftermarket (d2z for example) are compatible both Shimano and sram (would allow using Shimano crank to run a sram groupset).

And in reply to AXS, no I’m not set on 12 speed. I’d happily take 11 speed etap if I could find all the bits.
12 speed is just sold in a kit new online and easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree to go with 11 speed over 12 speed. AXS is cool, but the chain, cassette and chainrings are not compatible with anything but AXS (though there seems to be some debate on the chainrings)
With 11 speed you can run almost any cassette, from a 9-46 MTB to a standard 11-28 (depending on what type of free hub body you have) Obviously the bigger the range, the bigger the jumps. I run a 10-36 cassette that you have to buy from alliexpress and it is amazing. (I live in Washington state, so not a "flat" location) I run a 46 front ring but have options for 44-48, and it takes me 6 minutes to swap the chain ring.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I build a budget 1x with etap? [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
I would agree to go with 11 speed over 12 speed. AXS is cool, but the chain, cassette and chainrings are not compatible with anything but AXS (though there seems to be some debate on the chainrings)
With 11 speed you can run almost any cassette, from a 9-46 MTB to a standard 11-28 (depending on what type of free hub body you have) Obviously the bigger the range, the bigger the jumps. I run a 10-36 cassette that you have to buy from alliexpress and it is amazing. (I live in Washington state, so not a "flat" location) I run a 46 front ring but have options for 44-48, and it takes me 6 minutes to swap the chain ring.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can you run a 10-36, let alone a 9-46 with the older etap 11sp. Doesn't it have an 32t max? I imagine you could push it to 34, but 46?

i did some searching and apparently wolftooth 1x chainrings are compatible with the flattop chain in the dropstop B tooth profile.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Can I build a budget 1x with etap? [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct, a 46 might be out of the range.
Moving out the B screw will get you to a 36 with most chainring/ Frame set ups. a wolftooth roadlink will get you to a 42 if needed. (I have been told that this is not true for all frames, but have not had issues)
Quote Reply
Re: Can I build a budget 1x with etap? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Mtb AXS RD doesn't use that chain

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. You can get a 11-34 cassette off aliexpress that should fit an 11 sp wheel.
2. Use the AXS mountain bike RD. It uses a normal 12 speed chain and has more capacity if you need to go to 11-40

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why 1x11? What do you expect to win by going 1x and what do you risk losing? A hint: how many pros do you see on 1x and how many on 2x? I guess the answer to those questions and the budget aspect will lead you to 2x11 etap as others have mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I build a budget 1x with etap? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on where the OP lives. when I lived in Bermuda (no significant climbs), and was younger and fitter, I happily ran a 1x8 (56T on the front, 12-21 on the back) on 650c wheels.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11 speed etap would be an option but it’s not available anymore. Will it be in the future? probably not but who knows. The 11 speed blip box had problems with water ingress, and it doesn’t shift as nice overall as 12 speed AXS. Unless you’re willing to spend some serious money on this project I would forget about it or hope that Shimano will come out with some compatible wireless options in the near future. Strong rumor is that Shimano’s wireless shifting system is to be unveiled in March.

You really can’t do this project on the cheap. Everything needs to be compatible with AXS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s your budget?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I build a budget 1x with etap? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
What do you expect to win by going 1x and what do you risk losing?.

Money is the answer to both of your questions.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 24, 21 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Can I build a budget 1x with etap? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Are you set on AXS? You could likely do it for MUCH cheaper if you went with the 11sp etap group.

Theoretically, yes, but 11speed Etap parts are now so hard to find that they cost more than 12 speed parts (ie 11 speed blip box and RD are more expensive and MUCH harder to find than 12 speed equivalent). If you take the entire system into account (wheels, cranks etc), 11 speed is probably cheaper, but personally, for the extra gear, updated technology etc, I went AXS 12 speed and found some great deals on parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I did axs and I would not consider it unless you want to shell out many more dollars that the 1x etap kit.

Cassettes are only sram and the force was going for 180 and if you have a trainer that is times 2.

Wheels can be converted if and only if the wheel has an axs hub you can buy which is 50 - 150 and likely not even available on your wheels

Chain and chainring is all SRAM no aftermarket as if a couple Months ago.

Now that I gave done it I would not go back but I would not have done it on a budget.

You can find a much better deal on shimano di2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go 11 speed you can get a Stone narrow wide chainring off eBay. They go up to at 58 teeth and fit most cranks. The super budget approach is to mount the blip box on the end of one extension so you aren’t buying clicks. Assuming you can find the derailleur and blip box on the used market, it is a super clean and cheap setup, even if you splurge for the clicks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I’ll go with mechanical 1x11, for a first budget build and I’ll live with not being able to shift on the base bar.

SRAM 11 speed looks a pain to get hold of all the bits, especially the shifters.
AXS is just going to be so expensive to change crank, free wheels etc. To be compatible
Di2 setup for base bar shifting is again expensive, needing the dedicated levers with buttons attached.

Thanks for all the feedback, essentially confirmed it cannot be done easily.
Quote Reply