Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I? Wrenching question
Quote | Reply
My kid's road bike has an 8-speed Claris groupset on it. I bought the bike used, and the rear and front derailleurs have always given us fits. I can't get them adjusted correctly, and they fall out of what little bit of adjustment I can achieve pretty quickly.

I have an older 105 8-speed rear derailleur and matching front derailleur on an older tri bike that never gets ridden. While they are older, they shift great. Can I just switch out the derailleurs or would it require changing the brifters?

Thanks,
Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Can I? Wrenching question [Matt_Stimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be able to, yes.

But, why the Claris groupset is going out of adjustment so quickly? It shouldn't---there's nothing "wrong" with the Claris group that would inherently make it more likely to detune. The concern being after going to the trouble of switching out the DRs you still have a bike that goes out of tune. Things that come to mind...

Old Cables/housings? Missing housing endcaps? Inadequately tightened cable terminations? Bent/cracked rear hanger?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What ratio is the cassette that is on the bike now?

What is the capacity of the new rear derailleur?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I? Wrenching question [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good questions, a buddy is a reasonable bik mechanic has gone over it, and he is coming up with a miss on why the problem, too. Cables all seem to be ok.

It may just be time to take it to the shop and have it looked and see what the verdict is. If the mechanic lands at the components being a bust, I can look at switching it over.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Can I? Wrenching question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Off, the top of my head, I don't know. I'll look later this evening.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a good look at the jockey rollers, especially the top one. They are just cheap junky bushings, and often get overlooked when lubing the chain. When they dry out, they wear very quickly, and shifting can be hit and miss with a worn wobbly jockey roller. The same can be said for the rest of the drive train. How old is the chain/cassette, and how well has it been maintained. Worn parts are hard to dial in.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a newer Claris groupset (with the internal cables from the levers - R2000?), I believe there may be a difference with the FD cable pull. (Similar from when 105 went from 5700 to 5800 with the longer lever arm on the FD). So you might need to watch some compatibility there, but it will probably still work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple other items to consider: 1.) is the derailleur hanger bent or out of line and 2.) do you have one or more stiff links in the chain?
Quote Reply