Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Campy ergo shifters on a Shimano Drive train?
Quote | Reply
Is it posible to use Campy ergo shifters (Record or Centaur) on a Shimano Drive train? If it works how well will it shift?

Thanks,

Dave from VA

Quote Reply
Re: Campy ergo shifters on a Shimano Drive train? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it works. the shifters are set to increase the tension in a certain way based on the spacing of the cogs. and that spacing is not the same on shimano and campy.

something you can do is use a campy drivetrain with shimano bar end shifters in friction mode (and use the campy stuff as a 9 speed).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Campy 9 Ergo levers with a Campy 9 rear derailleur will index properly on a Shimano 9-speed cassette. I have 2 bikes set up this way so I can guarantee it works.

I haven't tried using Campy 10 shifters with a Shimano 9 set-up, but I have been told by a couple of people that it also works. See here: http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Campy ergo shifters on a Shimano Drive train? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does it mean you can also do it with the bar end shifters? (10 spd with 9 spd shimano)...that would be great...
Quote Reply
Re: Campy ergo shifters on a Shimano Drive train? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campy 10 bar-ends should work with a Shimano 9 rear derailleur and Shimano 9 speed cassette. I'm not sure what the advantage would be: Campy bar ends have essentially the same ergonomics as Shimano bar-ends, but they cost about twice as much and I don't think they have a friction shifting option.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy ergo shifters on a Shimano Drive train? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have just tried...problem is I have a disc for shimano cassette and campy groupo.
I have a cassette that supposed to be going on a shimano body but for 10 speed, but it does not work.

so I tried the disc with shimano cassette, and the rest is campy. works fine actually. I can't get the 21 that's all. but then, in FL, I won't need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked this a few weeks back. Do a search for 'campy' to find the thread. I got some quite techy answers on the cycling forums message board recommended by Cerveloman or Bunnyman. If you search for posts made by GBJ there, you'll get some pretty detailed info. I haven't made the transformation yet but will be doing so in mid-December. Let me know if you give it a shot before then and any tips that present themselves.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also get a wheels manufacturing spacer set or cassette. Costly but I know people who use them and they work quite well. Try Colorado cyclist or Excel Sports
Quote Reply