Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Campy and Shimano mix?
Quote | Reply
Is it a bad idea to run a mix of Campy and Shimano? I was thinking it would make for a pretty sweet bike: Shimano BB and DA Crankset, Campy Chorus or Record 10 Ergo shifters, FD&RD, and then top it all off with Cane Creek 200sl brake levers. What do you think?
Quote Reply
Re: Campy and Shimano mix? [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano (like Microsoft) planned for their components to be used in an integrated system (STI stands for Shimano Total Integration). When you mix the stuff you get problems. Absolutely 100% guaranteed. Now, you can probably find a bike shop guy somewhaere who is willing to say "Oh, yeah! I can make that work no problem..." If he says that ask him, "Will you buy it back from me after 2 months if I'm not happy with it at full price?" There's your answer. Stick with one or the other. The only thing in the middle of the road is yellow lines and dead animals. This isn't a good idea.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is one definite problem with what you want to do. The Campy 10 speed chain is too narrow for the Shimano chain rings. You can do it with a Campy 9 speed but not 10. This was a problem for Campy 10 speed PowerCrankers until I came up with a Campy spider.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see little problem with using a non campy crank provided you use shifters and deraillers that match. I would liken it to using a FSA, Truvativ, or Profile crank with campy ergo shifters and deraillers. Why not use a crank such as Truvative, FSA, or Profile instead of the Dura Ace?

I know that the campy 9 speed shifting would works with Shimano 9 speed cassettes. The only thing about the brakes would be that the 200sl brakes are single pivot if memory serves me correctly.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
actual crank differences... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The actual difference between Campy (10 spd)and Shimano (9spd) cranks is the difference in spacing between the chainrings, center to center. That difference is .2mm. Contrary to popular belief, Campy 10 spd cranks are actually spaced wider in this dimension than the 9spd Shimano. 9spd Campy are wider spaced yet.
There is actually significantly less difference between 10 spd Campy cranks and 9 spd shimano cranks than there is between 9 spd Campy and 9 spd Shimano. I don't have the 9 spd Campy specs. with me, but I have measured all of these cranks, and have the figures floating around somewhere...

The Campy 10 and Shimano 9 cranksets are essentially interchangeable, although the ability to cross-chain (especially on the small ring) is greater on the Campy cranks because of the larger gap between chainrings. The chainrings themselves are very similar, and do not have major dimensional differences, although the ramping/pinning specs are different, and optimized to the manufacturer's chain specs.

I will agree with a previous poster, and suggest that an aftermarket crank may be the way to go in this application, however - simply because you can do better than DA these days, and at a comparable price point.

MH

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont get it? Just install a Record crank. That ShimaNO BB has more drag in it than darn near any other BB out there. The weight savings that you may get on the ShimaNO crank would probably be off-set by less friction on the Record BB.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply