Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Camelbak at IM?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used a camelbak in an IM? How well did it work?
Quote Reply
Re: Camelbak at IM? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never used one in a triathlon but I use one for any rides over 3 hours and I find it great. I bought a large 'bum bag' which a 3l bladder will fit inside so that the weight is low down on my hips and not on my shoulders. I use a piece of cord around my neck to tie the bite valve near my mouth. If I stay seated most of the time I don't really notice it and the advantage is it gets lighter as the ride goes on. I ride a lot in hot conditions (Greece) and I drink a lot and it really helps me to stay well hydrated. I tried a new system on a 30km TT last weekend. I just put about half a litre of fluid in the bladder and then put the bladder in my back jersey pocket with the tube inside my jersey and the bite valve coming out of the short zip at my neck. It worked a treat. In an Ironman though where you have regular drinks stations I'm not sure whether it would be so necessary but I find with the Camelbak I drink more and ride better so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Camelbak at IM? [Noggin the Nog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using one (a 2L bladder) for long runs lately, including a FatAss 50k race, and once you get used to the sloshing noise, it beats wearing a stupid bottle belt (man I hate those things, these camelbacks are far more comfortable). I needed it in the FatAss as you had to be self-supporting (the only aid was at the 1/2 way point). But in a fully supported marathon or century ride, I'd skip it for the comfort. ;-) One less piece of gear to worry about.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used one in all my longer races last year (2 1/2 IM and 1 IM) and I would highly recommend it if you have not done the distance before.

I put gatorade/cytomax in my bottles and always washed them down with a good chug from the CB.

It was not uncomfortable in the least and I always had something cool to drink. I think aero concerns are negligable since (depending on your fit of course) the pouch is behind your helmet and doesn't cause too much extra drag.

If you don't trust the race water (I've had some bad experiences) I recommned you put a gal. jug of water in your special needs bag to fill up halfway through. If you're using it right you should be empty halfway through.

If you're someone like me who can get dehydrated just standing around on a sunny day, the CB is an indipensible part of your equipment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used one at IMFLA last year. I probably won't use it again. It was all that annoying or anything, but I just found I didn't need it with all of the drinks provided on the course. I preferred the cold drinks from the aid stations over my slightly warm fluid coming out of the camel bak.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which model of the CamelBak would you guys recommand for long runs?

I'm really tired of my bottle belt. I constantly have to replace it down my hips so it doe'snt jump up and down. On a 3 hour run it gets really frustrating.

Thank's

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Re: Camelbak at IM? [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what yo mean by a bottle belt. I have a fuel belt on right now as I head out the door. It works really well. I have been surprised.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a camelbak for an Ironman, though I don't since I do Lake Placid every year and the hills kill me without all that extra weight. I tried to rely on bottles last year, but wound up not drinking enough and being two quarts down in the med tent. The aero factor is nothing, but the weight and the heat might be depending on the course and the day.

There is nothing like having that straw in front of you at all times. There is a lot to be said for either a camelbak or a drink system with a straw in your face.
Quote Reply
Re: Camelbak at IM? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The camelbak actually provides an aero advantage when on the aerobars. Specially when worn under a jersey.Check the Bicyclesport forum for a post on this
Quote Reply
Re: Camelbak at IM? [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Camelback Flashflo. It's a waist pack that holds 1.5 liters and is far more comfrortable for running than the full back models. It has cinch straps on it thet work well to eliminate any bounce.

I heard somewhere that Camelbacks are against the rules for cycle racing because of the areodynamic advantage they give you. Is there a rule against using one during a tri?
Quote Reply