Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Caloric intake
Quote | Reply
This year I am struggling with my weight. Not really doing anything different than other years (aside from getting older)

What is your - age - weight - height - M/F - average daily caloric intake - average daily training hours?

I know there are many other things that come into play but I think it would be interesting to see. I think I may actually not be eating enough and just holding onto the weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Caloric intake [kanman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Male, 50, 155 lbs, 5'11",
3000 cals in,
2500 - 3800 cals burned,
11 hours per week w/ 1 day off (1:50 / day)

Quote:

I think I may actually not be eating enough and just holding onto the weight.

I don't think that's actually a thing.

Start tracking your intake and find out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea how your body would hold on to weight if you were running a calorie deficit. I am pretty sure that other than perhaps a short term water retention issue, what you suggest would be scientifically impossible.

The data you are asking for ... it is so individual that it will be meaningless. I also notice you didn’t post your own. You would be better off perhaps tracking what you eat for a week, and try and estimate if you are perhaps consuming more calories than you need?
Quote Reply
Re: Caloric intake [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theoretically at least, by getting more effective, stopping non-essential processes and making you less prone to activity. Considering the fact that it has been shown to be true for high performance women, i.e increasing calorie intake makes them lose weight, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be true for a man.

It probably isn't. But it could be.
Quote Reply
Re: Caloric intake [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say intake 3000 and burn 2500-3000 do you not add in calories?? That would put you at a net of 0-500 calories per day.

I did track my calories as well as exercise (MyFitnessPal) I was usually rounded up on the food and down on the exercise and was at a deficit of 300-800 calories. My intake was anywhere from 2000-4500 depending on what my workout load looked like. At that point in time I was 9-12 hours per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kanman wrote:
When you say intake 3000 and burn 2500-3000 do you not add in calories?? That would put you at a net of 0-500 calories per day.

I did track my calories as well as exercise (MyFitnessPal) I was usually rounded up on the food and down on the exercise and was at a deficit of 300-800 calories. My intake was anywhere from 2000-4500 depending on what my workout load looked like. At that point in time I was 9-12 hours per week.

My average calorie burn is 2800 / day over the last 7 days. But, that goes from 2500 on a off day to 3800 on a big day. I don't generally try and match my calorie intake directly to my burn day-by-day. I may eat a little more on a big day (or the day after), if I'm hungry. Otherwise, I just tend to consume about the same amount each day.

I will say that I find that burn estimate tend to be a little on the high side for me. I've tracked things very closely in the past, and have a lot of personal data on weight-loss rates, body composition changes, food comsumption, and exercise burn estimates. On the average, daily burn estimates (for ME) from Garmin tend to be about 500 calories on the high side versus reality based on carefully measured food consumption, and actual weight loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After 2 years of tracking calories with MyFitnessPal, I stopped.
I kind of figured out what foods and quantities I should be eating.

It's pretty obvious for me, that replacing a snack of nuts and cheese with a donut may be similar in calories, but one's fuel and one's crap.

The content of the calories plays a bigger role than quantity, IMO.

I see a big difference in crappy eating and fueling eating.
Once I changed my mindset, I stabilized my weight and I don't have to keep track.

Don't get me wrong... I'll kill a quart of ice cream every now and again...

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Caloric intake [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:

I see a big difference in crappy eating and fueling eating.
Once I changed my mindset, I stabilized my weight and I don't have to keep track.

Don't get me wrong... I'll kill a quart of ice cream every now and again...

I'm stable as long as I keep training. Take a week or two off for injury or vacation....and I bloat like a cow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you adjust what you eat?
That's a kicker with taper, esp for longer events. Go from 18 hours a week to 7... and eat the same... you will gain some weight.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have YOU tried to stop eating, when you get injured?!? /pink-kinda

My appetite is like a diesel locomotive---takes a long time to come to a stop once it gets going. I think I can gain a pound a day.

That's probably my biggest motivation for managing my intensity to avoid injury, SO I DONT GET FAT!!! /pink-kinda-again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
Do as I say, not as I do.... :)

A coaches motto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTDT. However, I prefered the combo, "Because I said so." and "When you're my age..." Fortunately, I stopped having to use those 12 years ago.

With the grandkids, "Sure why not...you're going back to Mom's, anyway..." also works.
Quote Reply