Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police
Quote | Reply
You know who you are. You snicker when you see a 47 year old, furry guy who's about 25lbs overweight pulling a brand-new Litespeed Blade out of his Hummer. You scoff when you pass a guy who is granny-ringing it on a Lotus Sport 110. You laugh out loud when you see a pudgy dude mounting his Lance TT bike, clone-equipped right down to the bar tape.

You say to yourselves, "What the f***? He'll never ride this thing like it is supposed to be ridden." Or, it's a comment like this:" I usually pass him like he was standing still. What makes this guy think a new rig will make him faster than me?"

Let me tell you something about yourselves. If you are so good and deserve that type of equipment, how come no company has offered you this stuff for a Pro Deal price? How come a bike company has not contacted you? Is it because in your heart, you know that your performances are merely average, and that if you were to send in your resume, the company managers will laugh at you, and call you up to laugh at you?

Here is another thing: you could have this stuff you think you deserve. But you never will. You will never work hard enough, whether it be by working overtime, or by continuing to do your crappy job that does not allow you to afford the nice things. All you people will do is bitch about that slow guy who thinks he is cool with his $5K Brand X bike, when all you are expressing is you inability to work hard and buy this stuff.

So, basically, what you are is lazy, bitter, jealous, and arrogant.

My solution for you: either

a) Put your money where your mouth is and train even harder so you can get that equipment discounted heavily or free. My suspicion is that your ability is at your maximum potential and it will never happen.

-or-

b) Get a real job, work hard, have a little less time to train and get good stuff. This includes sacrifices such as more education, moving to where a great job is, or starting your own successful business.

Remember this: These guys who work very hard to get the best stuff make it possible for you to have races (as they enter these things) and for the great technologies to be passed down the line so it can be affordable for all price points. You should be hugging these people rather than belittling them.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried hugging them while after riding past but I kept getting weird looks :\

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, it's funny. I've read all of the previous thread on this topic and I kind of chuckled to myself and stayed out of it. You see, I'm the guy everyone is describing. I'm firmly back of the pack, however, I'm busting my ass to amend this situation. I also ride/race on a bike that many would consider way over my head. People will ride by me and scoff that they passed that poser on the expensive bike. I'd be more than happy to average 18 mph in my next Ironman, hell, I'd be ecstatic. The thing is, I love bikes, I've always loved bikes, but I never pay what people think I do for my gear. I'm a habitual shopper, always looking for an angle or a deal. Nobody knows what I pay for my gear except me and my wife. In the same vein, I don't necessarily love my job. However, I love that my job allows me to do the things I want to do and buy the things I want to buy. Why would I leave a job that affords me 7 weeks vacation and enough money to enjoy that time?

To finish this ramble: Feel free to scoff, make fun, whatever.... it won't affect my love for the sport or my bike, I'll keep smiling and offer you a "good job" when you pass.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See, you're the guy we should all hug and thank for indirectly making great races and great equipment possible for the rest of us.

I like hard-working people like yourself. You will NEVER get a snicker or a scoff from me. I will seek you out in a race and say, "Hi. I am bunnyman. You must be Fiddlesandbikes..."
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try harder. These are the heroes of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know hard it was to pass them the first time!!! But then I stop to give the gift of my hug and get left behind. Now I have to chase them down again and try to give the hug only to get my heart broken from the strange reaction. THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR THE WILL!

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hug them at the end of the race. Wait around for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a $2500 lawn tractor, which I use once every 1-2 weeks for 1/2 the year should disbar me from ever being allowed to join the EAFAP. [It doesn't always keep me from commenting from time to time ... like it should]

Anyone want to trade it for a $2200 bike and the bodylink (sp?) system? I can certainly get more use out of that than I do my lawn tractor.

Did I tell you the story of how one of my brother in laws bought an empty beer can for $300? He collects them. Has 1,000s of mint condition used beer cans. Really. I'm serious. I'm not joking. 1,000's. Trying not to see one person's hobby as being inferior to my own. $300. Empty Beer Can. [FWIW, he's a great guy ... just likes really expensive beer cans]

---------------------------------

Just what the end of a triathlon needs ... more hugs. ;) [Re: Another thread & Mr. Tibbs]

-------------------------------

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a solution to the elitist complaint about the demographic in triathlon. When I am elected dictator of USATRIATHLON I will impose the following rule: AFTER EVERY TRIATHLON THE LAST PLACE FINISHER GETS FIRST DIBS ON WHATEVER BIKE THEY WANT FROM THE TRANSITION AREA. EACH FINISHER WILL THEN GET THE CHANCE TO DO THE SAME IN REVERSE ORDER OF FINISH, SO THAT THE WINNER GETS THE LAST BIKE, THE MISFIT BIKE NOBODY WANTS. THE ELITIST WILL LOOK UPON HAVING A CRAP BIKE AS A STATUS SYMBOL, AND THE BOPER WILL HAVE THE CHERRY BIKE THEY ALWAYS WANTED. Now there may be very little redisritibution at the bottom of the standings, but I imagine the effect will be staggering by the time you get to the top 20. It will alter race strategies, for example Tim DeBoom fighting it out for last place in the race before IM so he can upgrade his bike for the big island...

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [JM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rich competitors should be forced to pay much higher entrance fees, so that the Race Director and staff can provide upgraded equipment and waved fees for those that cannot afford them.

It could be the called "The Great American Triathlon".

If I could describe the smirk on my face accurately, I would.

---------------------------------------

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could afford all the latest/greatest equipment. So could anyone else who has a decent credit limit on their Visa.

But I'm a cheap SOB. But practical also. That's why I have CH Aero disc covers instead of a new Zipp disc. Why spend a grand more to go no faster. Secondhand aluminium one piece bars are just as aero as new carbon ones.

It's a no brainer to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that the comments that drive MOP/BOP and beginning athletes to spend more money on gear are generally self-serving comments from people involved in the industry. Bike shop owners, manufacturers, and distributers make more money if more people buy more expensive bikes.

People can spend money on whatever they want, but a $700 bike that fits is 98% as fast as a $7,000 bike that fits.

If you're getting into triathlons don't believe the hype. You don't need to spend a lot of money on anything to have a lot of fun and get really fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I could afford all the latest/greatest equipment. So could anyone else who has a decent credit limit on their Visa."

If you truly believe this then you will never get to where you can afford the really nice equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, I see absolutely nothing wrong with being sensible on your gear spending. I have a Dura Ace rear mech that has seen three bikes. It is the first gen. 9 speed, and I plan on rebuilding that mofo (yes, you can rebuild some Dura Ace stuff).

My first post about justifying great stuff when you are only BOP-er having fun was mean a lot in jest. Personally, I particularly like racing my GT Course that I have all of about $500 into, the fork costing me more than the frame (and I got it for a DISCOUNT).

What I have seen is a bit of the EAFAP when I jokingly said "but at least you look cool doing it" comment. I really don't care what people spend. If they end up spending less (like I do- I can sniff a bargain a mile away) for even better stuff? Why not?

You're on the right track with your CH aero cover and used aluminium bars. Do it how you like to. That includes the people who do it with the most expensive gear on earth.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [jdoug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can afford much more expensive equipment than I currently have. But I don't think that dimpled zipp disc will make me any faster tha my new Renn disc. Until this season I had a hed disc w/ an old softride that weighed 24 pounds w/out the H2O bottle. I posted the fastest bike splits in some races on that and in some major races like Worlds and Powerman Bama top 20-30 overall bike splits. It is not the equipment that makes it go fast. The bottom line is it's all about the engine you slap on the machine. My new TT rig is 2.5kg less. Will I be faster? Only time will tell.

I say if you want it, can afford it, go get it. Screw what others think about you.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can spend your money any way you wish. I know about the beer can thing. I collect KISS paraphrnalia, have thousands into it.

I can beat your lawn tractor story, as well: I pay a guy $30 every ten days to mow my lawn so I can train more.

My point is this: People spend their money how they see fit. We are very fortunate to live in a time where we can race bikes, swim in wetsuits, and run with shoes. Some will always afford better, some will not. Let it all be.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I typically advise people to get the great values like the Renn disc over the dimpled Zipp. I am with you on this one, it's more about the engine.

Good luck with the new, lighter TT rig.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, my big debate since it is custom built on the same angles is to actually ride it before my first race or just show up, hop on and ride as usual.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course you don't need to spend tons of money to go fast or have fun. I have never said that anywhere in my postings.

Do the manufacturers want you to part with your cash? Of course, they do. This is the same as why people negotiate for a higher starting wage, or negotiate for better benefits and/or raises. We all want one thing: to make more money to make life easier.

Do I believe that the job can be done with a $50 disc wheel cover and used 105? Of course I do. I was that athlete at one time. I only get miffed when I see people who don't think that the slow guy does not deserve the top-of-the-line gear that they bought.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [JM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will take the crappiest $50 bike to every race and have a cool bike for every day of the month!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"But I'm a cheap SOB."

I am right there with you, brother. I spend quite a bit on gear, but as fiddlesandbikes was saying, I shop around to find the best deals. But I'm also riding an "entry level" road bike. You know, it only lists for $1,600. BTW, I've been thinking about the CH disc myself.

I was trying to avoid saying this, because I don't want to offend any wanker sissies, but the only thing more annoying than someone who buys equipment way beyond their ability is when that person whines about people criticizing them for it. You bought some really expensive gear. Gear that might be considered "beyond your abilities." So what? Why does it seem to bother you what other people think or say about you and your gear?

Seriously, guys. Lighten the hell up. You buy the equipment that you want and can afford, be happy that you can afford it. As for people, well, we talk about one another. We classify one another. We mock one another. Just like in the school yard, we tease, we poke fun, and we aren't always nice.

When I was doing a lot of mountain biking, a favorite activity of many riders was to embarrass the new guy who showed up on a Specialized S-Works by either dropping him or making him puke. That was what you got for asking a bunch of grizzled trailrats on crappy old bikes if you could "tag along." You either improved or you got left behind. One area where I ride was rife with guys on high-end dualies in an area that is best ridden on a good hardtail. Nothing like a $4,500 downhill bike to take on 3 miles of technical, mostly climbing, singletrack.

I think this is a lot like the truck/SUV thing. I know a lady who is 5'6", 110 pounds. She drives a Ford F350 Pickup. Because she wants to. There is no need involved here. Very few SUV drivers 'need' an SUV. She isn't hauling the big loads around, or working with a construction crew, she just wanted a big damned truck. Do people resent her for that? Yup. Does it bother me that someone would spend so much money on a vehicle that is wasteful and expensive? Yup. Does she care? Nope.

Such is the way of things.

Now go right ahead and flame my insensitive ass.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've resisted to post but......

i hate to tell you but not all of us talk about other people or mock them. how the hell can you tell something about someone by what bike he or she rides in a race or even how fast he or she is going at that time. i've race on the latest and greatest and also on some clunkers. i can afford any bike made. i always race on a disc wheel. i've won three national titles. i've gone low nine hour in hawaii and i've broken 1:50. i also own a small bicycle equipment company.........now, you just past me in a triathlon. you laugh to yourself "what a loser". i'm doing the race for fun. i haven't trained in 6 month and if i train for two week i could hand you your head. who did you just make fun of?.......i say yourself because you make it an issue.

what's my point?.....you don't know crap. all you know is you. the guy or girl you might have past only looks 35 but really is 55 and is doing battle with a long time rival. he might have bought the nice wheels to final get the 30 sec he has been needing to finally beat that "jerk" once and for all. what ever it is; how can you know? the doctor that does triathlon for fun because he or she works 80 hours a week making MONEY, do you know what a $5000 bike is to a guy that makes $500,000. a toy. get over it. worry about yourself.

frank rehnelt, renn multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"but the only thing more annoying than someone who buys equipment way beyond their ability" So you sit in judgement of others,someone must decide who buys equipment beyond their abilities,might as well be you. " is when that person whines about people criticizing them for it" So you sit in judgement,and then when anyone says something back to "YOU" about your comments of judgement,you find that annoying..............HMMMM speaks volumes I suppose.

So you like to pick on people,and do not want them to defend themselves.We had a name for that in grade school. "Bully"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. We can all agree that if you want something, buy it. We'd also likely agree don't buy it if it's going to put your family's needs in danger of not being met. If you've got the resources, and the desire to own it. Buy it. use it. I'll probably stare ... I've never seen a $4000 bike.

2. If you buy something "out of your league" (let's just assue we all know what that means), you have to realize, you are going to take some heat. It's a Law of nature, I believe.

It's playground stuff. It doesn't mean we aren't going to be friends. It doesn't mean we won't have alot of fun eating a porterhouse after the race. Heck, I might even let your dog lick my on the face. Just don't hug me. You have really nice equipemnt. I don't. So, by teasing you, it all evens out. =)

Side Note: I'd have a rather hard time scoffing at someone who I don't even know (I've done it before, I'm not casting the first stone here). For all I know that bike could have been a father's day present from his loving kids, or a 25th anniversary present from his wife. Maybe his employees bought it for him b/c he raised the Christmas bonus again, and is a terrific boss. Maybe he beat a life-threatening illness and he deided he earned it. Maybe someone rewarded themselves for years of sacrifice so the family could get what they wanted (college, cars, etc) and now it's "daddy's turn" (that'll be me in 20 years).

3. I would certainly have a beef with someone that said someting condescending to me, and I doubt I'd act very "Christianly" (I'm working on it).

Edit: The above comment was not in response to jmorrisey, it was a reminder to myself to make sure I follow the Golden Rule.

-------------------------------------

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Feb 1, 04 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Calling out the Equipment According to Fitness and Ability Police [Frank Rehnelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very well said. I agree completely.

RP
Quote Reply

Prev Next