Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Calling brilliant data minds: deep thoughts on yaw -- help me out y'all [BudhaSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BudhaSlug wrote:
You could also go with the Wisdom of the Crowds approach: Pull Mean and SD from any data set you have available (Mavic, Flo, etc.) average them, and call it a day (well call it a back-of-a-large-napkin calculation).

Or call it meta-analysis.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling brilliant data minds: deep thoughts on yaw -- help me out y'all [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing to note is that Best Bike Split already does a lot of this already. It may make sense to work with Ryan Cooper and find a way to input your data into his models since they are already working. This way you could model all bikes on every 70.3 and 140.6 course to find the best in each case. Of course this would need to include the weight of each setup too.

The error here is taking CdA's from a wind tunnel and applying them outside (which I guess is the point of the test anyway, since they are ridden outside). Either way, this could be a fun section to include after your own analysis.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling brilliant data minds: deep thoughts on yaw -- help me out y'all [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
One thing to note is that Best Bike Split already does a lot of this already. It may make sense to work with Ryan Cooper and find a way to input your data into his models since they are already working. This way you could model all bikes on every 70.3 and 140.6 course to find the best in each case. Of course this would need to include the weight of each setup too

I agree, the more I think about it. Would like to work with him
Quote Reply
Re: Calling brilliant data minds: deep thoughts on yaw -- help me out y'all [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
The error here is taking CdA's from a wind tunnel and applying them outside

Uh, no.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling brilliant data minds: deep thoughts on yaw -- help me out y'all [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not? As good of a job as Kiley did holding his position, I doubt he (or anyone) could be so still outside. What does that do to the data for bikes we are expecting to be fairly close together anyway?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
Why not? As good of a job as Kiley did holding his position, I doubt he (or anyone) could be so still outside. What does that do to the data for bikes we are expecting to be fairly close together anyway?

Oh, I don't know...maybe because it was shown about 20 y ago that wind tunnel testing is highly predictive of "real world" cycling? (Note the quotes.)
Quote Reply
Re: Calling brilliant data minds: deep thoughts on yaw -- help me out y'all [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He looked down the entire test. If he had been looking up, maybe it would be closer.

I'm referring to data taken in the last year by the BBS aero analyzer of the United Healthcare team in which was trying to get real world CDAs to match wind tunnel CDAs. Some people were close and some were way off because they couldn't hold the exact position in the tunnel in which they were completely still with heads down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Oh, I don't know...maybe because it was shown about 20 y ago that wind tunnel testing is highly predictive of "real world" cycling? (Note the quotes.)

Were there any formal papers published on this ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
. Some people were close and some were way off because they couldn't hold the exact position in the tunnel in which they were completely still with heads down.

I think both you and Coggan are correct and just talking past each other. The tunnel CdA carries over to the real world. But if your tunnel position is unrideable in the real world that's a problem with your test methodology, not a problem with the fundamentals of windtunnel-derived CdA.

I do agree that I very often see ridiculously unridable positions in wind tunnel photos and "garage trainer wind tunnel" pictures with people staring down their front fork.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling brilliant data minds: deep thoughts on yaw -- help me out y'all [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Were there any formal papers published on this ?

https://www.academia.edu/...mech_1998_14_276-291
Quote Reply
Re: Calling brilliant data minds: deep thoughts on yaw -- help me out y'all [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
if your tunnel position is unrideable in the real world that's a problem with your test methodology, not a problem with the fundamentals of windtunnel-derived CdA.

Bingo.

More specifically, there is no evidence that there are significant cyclist-bicycle aerodynamic interactions that would occur only outside of the wind tunnel for someone using the same basic position. The notion that the bikes tested (or any others) would behave differently in the "real world" (again note the quotes) is therefore simply a non-starter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
He looked down the entire test. If he had been looking up, maybe it would be closer.

I'm referring to data taken in the last year by the BBS aero analyzer of the United Healthcare team in which was trying to get real world CDAs to match wind tunnel CDAs. Some people were close and some were way off because they couldn't hold the exact position in the tunnel in which they were completely still with heads down.

I think my head position was in a realistic spot because I was staring at the tracings up ahead of me. I have tremendous head discipline in races, so much that I very often can't see up ahead of me.

What I couldn't do in real life is stay that tense. Trying to hold absolutely still makes you mad tense. Does moving around more and relaxing more and a bunch of other things IRL impact your "effective" CdA? Sure. But none of that is going to change the order of these frames, which is what we were trying to isolate as a variable in this test.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling brilliant data minds: deep thoughts on yaw -- help me out y'all [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kant is an idealist joke, "categorical imperitive" what a farce hybrid of philosophy and religion after Hegels tremendous step forward to tear morality from the heavens, but idealism is only a step to materialism. Kant attempts to produce supra-class moral principle, that which is detached from the ruling class' vital interest in imposing its moral philosophy upon the exploited masses.
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Apr 22, 17 18:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next