Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calling all SOFTRIDE owners -- question(s)
Quote | Reply
Hi to all the Softies out there!

I'm about to purchase a Rocket TT7 & have been surfing the internet quite a bit over the past few weeks. I have a few last minute questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

1) How easy is it to remove the beam & then put back into place? I've heard that you should have a torque wrench to do this.

2) Due to the beam, can the bike fit in an ordinary bike case? Which kind of case do you have?

3) Has anyone w/ a newer Softie Rocket experienced the delamination problem? I hear it was due to the glue & that Softride has since fixed this problem.

Thanks very much!

---------------------------

How many miles did you ride today?
Last edited by: Red Dragon: Feb 5, 04 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all SOFTRIDE owners.......question(s).... [Red Dragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three excellent questions every potential Softride owner should ask. I've owned two and sold a fair number (less than 20 though) and this has been my experience:

1. It is an easy process, no more difficult than dealing with a seat post in a traditional frame. As with a seatpost in a traditional frame, you must use a torque wrench.

2. I haven't seen a bike case it won't fit in if you drop the beam.

3. Zero problems with delamination.

You will love your Rocket TT. They are so fast and the fit band is very wide. Good luck!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all SOFTRIDE owners.......question(s).... [Red Dragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't say on #1 and #3, but I've had two Softrides (current one is Rocket TT) and they both fit in standard bike boxes just fine. I haven't removed the beam, but there is a bolt that you can loosen to lower the beam considerably which fits in the box just fine. Hope this helps.

sheri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good questions. I currently ride 2 Softrides (but not at the same time). The 1st is a 2000 Roadwing (Classic Beam), and the 2nd is a 2002 Rocket R1. The Roadwing is a 58 cm, and the Rocket is a size Large (about 58 cm or so). Both bikes are 700c wheels. I train on the Roadwing, and race the Rocket. I have traveled a bunch with the Rocket, so here's my 2 cents worth.

1. You really don't have to take the beam off. Just loosen it and drop it down. Don't forget to measure your seat height before you do this. If you have a high-rise seat clamp, like I do, that does have to come off the beam, but it's very simple. When raising your seat height at yout race destination you really do need a torque wrench, but not just anyone. It has to measure inch/lbs, not foot/lbs. You can get one online at SEARS for about $80.00. I believe the torque setting is 75 inch/lbs. DO NOT CARRY THE TORQUE WRENCH IN YOUR CARRY-ON BAG. AIRPORT SECURITY WILL GET UPSET... TRUST ME!!! ( That's one I had to put in the "Duh File". How embarrassing). There are two pivot points on the Rocket beam/frame. They both use 4mm bolts. If you are going to travel a lot, upgrade the lower pivot to 5mm. This is cheap and you can order direct from Softride. Also, carry a spare set. Nothing worse than being at some exotic location and stripping one of these things only to find the mechanic doesn't stock them.

2. I have a Trico Ironcase for just me, and a Tri All 3 double case for Kim and I when we race together. Both Softride Frames and beams fit in both boxes. The Tri all 3 double case only fits 3 wheels... Who knew. It really sucks to find this out the hard way the night before you and your wife are to get on a plane! but that's another story.

3. Beam delamination. Yep, happened to my Rocket. But there's more to the story. My Rocket was a 2002 demo bike. This was the 1st time I was on the bike. God only knows how many triathletes road it before me. No biggie, I went into the deal with my eyes open. We basically finished building it two nights before race (prior planning prevents... what?) I did the race and all was well. I was also working the Insideout - Softride Expo there (yea, here's the irony). A customer wanted to try my Rocket, so I let him... what could go wrong? It was during that test ride the beam delaminated (bad news). I was at a Softride Expo, and the Softride Rep installed (warranty) a brand new '03 beam right then and there (good news). So, I didn't miss a beat. I've got over 3,000 miles on that new beam, and last spring/summer I was right about 200 lbs. - give or take. I haven't seen any of the new beams delaminate, so I think they have that bug beat.

Hope that helps. Good luck,

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all SOFTRIDE owners.......question(s).... [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone for your $0.02.

i REALLY appreciate the feedback.

---------------------------

How many miles did you ride today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recall Ironstevie (who posts here and on trinewbies) had some detailed postings last fall about his experiences with his Rocket. Probably worth searching for his comments. I don't remember the specifics, but he ended up replacing his Rocket with a TitanFlex (lots of postings about this bike last September).

Rob

p.s. So you know where I'm coming from: I never owned a Softride, but seriously considered one before buying a TitanFlex (for which I'm awaiting delivery).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red Dragon,

If you or anyone else have any questions about carrying cases, maintenance of Softride bikes, or the history of the Rocket beam feel free to contact me or anyone at Softride anytime.

Thanks,

Adam

Softride Bike

888-258-7299 or 360-647-7420

Quote Reply
Re: Calling all SOFTRIDE owners -- question(s) [Red Dragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greetings.
1. Beam pivot maintenance is complex but if you do it enough times (and you will...), you will get the hang of it. A torque wrench is a must.

2. I didn't travel with mine, but I assume you just take out the bottom pivot and drop the beam.

3. I had a beam delaminate and Softride replaced it for me.
This is not meant to be a flame of Softride or a suck-up to Titanflex, as I am merely a humble mid-pack triathlete. However, I do have an opinion on this issue born out of personal experience.

As mentioned above, I got rid of my Rocket TT7 (taking quite a financial hit) because of the maintenance troubles. Overall, I liked the ride of the bike, but I went thru 3 beams, 2 sets of pivots and a new seat clamp in a year, and found that the ownership experience and particularly the beam adjustment process, while certainly able to be mastered eventually (you get good at it when you replace/re-do your beam every month) was more aggrivation than it was worth. Ultimately, I lost confidence in my equipment and headed off on my first IM with my biggest worry that I would have a DNF due to bike mechanicals. I will say that Adam and Chig at Softride are extremely helpful and will do their best to make you happy.

That said, I did switch to a Titanflex and am EXTREMELY happy that I did for a number of reasons:

1. The Titanflex ride is better. The Rocket beam was kinda bouncy for me, but the TF boom (there are 4 options of flex) is much more firm. It still absorbs the bumps, but the ride is more like a Porsche/BMW than a Caddy. The TF climbs MUCH better than the Rocket (don't know if it's the fact that the bike weighs so much less than the Rocket, or if it's a design feature...who knows, maybe I'm just getting better...), handles more crisply and I think (I can't measure, but it feels like it...) that the TF has less lateral deflection around turns due to the stiffer boom.

2. The TF boom mechanism is MUCH more elegant (simpler and more reliable) than the Softride Beam mechanism. My Rocket Beam used 2 sets of pivot points, employing about 10 different pieces, a 2 page procedure that you MUST follow exactly (specific lubes, loctites, torques...). The TF has a boom that slides in and out and a seat post that slides up and down. No fuss, no muss. When I swapped my TF to the softest boom, the entire change took me less than 3 minutes and I have ZERO concerns about collapsing beams, delaminations, cracked sleeves...

3. The TF is a much better bargain. I paid less for a TF with DA, FSA carbon cranks, Cane Creek brakes, a Look Ergo Stem, Zipp 404's, SSM Aspide, etc.... than I paid for the Rocket with Ultegra. Plus, the DA TF is about 2 full pounds lighter than the Rocket (3 pounds if I put on the Zipps). The initial price looks high on the website, but I'm sure you can work a deal. Upgrade parts (like wheels) are at less than wholesale cost, as Tom gets them at OEM prices direct to you.

4. The TF purchasing/ownership experience is unmatched. As I mentioned above, the guys at Softride are great to deal with and I appreciate their patience with me after so many crisis calls and parts being fedexed all over the US. However, Tom at TF isn't just the customer service guy, he is the owner of the company and he puts his personal rep on the line for every customer. I bombarded him with about 10 calls and countless emails concerning EXACTLY what I wanted in my bike, and he was very easy to deal with. More importantly, I always felt that he was honest and straightforward, to the point of advising me AWAY from certain things ($$$) that I thought I might want, but probably don't need.

After I had placed my order, Tom kept me posted about the status, going so far as to send me pix of the bike at various build stages (that was kinda tough, since I wanted it HERE). After it arrived and I wanted a softer boom, he just sent me one and told me to send back whichever one I didn't want...eventually.

Oh, 1 more thing, you can have your TF painted WhATEVER color you want. Go to a local powercoat shop that uses tigerlac materials, get a sample book and tell Tom what color you want. Don't believe the prices on the website, he can work deals.

Happy to answer any questions in greater detail if you have them.

Pain is only temporary, but the regret of buying a Softride lasts until you get a better bike.
Last edited by: Ironstevie: Feb 6, 04 5:52
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all SOFTRIDE owners -- question(s) [Ironstevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a Softride RR Rocketwing until somebody ran it over. I didn't replace it with a Softride, but it wasn't because I was disatisfied. It's just that I like to try different bikes.(That's just me) Hopefully I'm not making a mistake because I had my best bike splits on my Softride RR (Of course at the time I was putting in more miles than I ever have & riding with the roadies a lot). So the Softride RR is definitely a fast bike. (Demonstrated by Jurgan Zack's bike split's and also saw Jeff Cuddeback riding one in Kona this year while setting the AG record).

As far as your questions go:

1. I never had to remove my beam while traveling. I just took the seat off the beam and removed the wheels and it fit in my case. But if you do remove it you will need a torque wrench.

2. I had no problem puting it in my Trico case.

3. I had a slight crack in my beam after 3yrs of riding. Softride replaced it at no cost, so can't complain. (I know a guy that's had a Kestrel frame crack twice and had to send it back, so it can happen to any bike).

Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Softride TT Rocketwing to anyone. It's fast and comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) I've owned a Softride for around 3 years and have never once completely removed the beam. Raised/lowered it, sure - but I never had a reason to remove it. I have also never once used a torque wrench to do anything on my bike. Perhaps I should, but have never seen the need. Tom, Bunny, or any other pro wrenches out there - if you'd care to let me know why it's critical, I'll run out and get one that measures inch-pounds.

2) I have a Tri-All-Three clamshell case (looks just like the Trico) and my bike fits just fine with just lowering the beam.

3) I've never delaminated.

If you're looking for a bike with some plush to it, I'd also take a good hard look at TitanFlex. Tom Pizkin (the owner and designer) seems like a stand up dude who bends over backwards to help his customers, and I've heard nothing but praise regarding his product. My next tri bike will very likely be a TitanFlex. Not to say I dislike my Softride, but feel that the TitanFlex is going to be even better.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned a 2001 Softride Road Rocket since Spring 2002. Unfortunatley I have had the beam delaminate twice so far. Softride has been good about replacing the beam, but the bike has spent more time sitting in the basement than I would like. Both times the beam delaminated I was told it was very rare for this to happen. I have yet to get a full season on one beam. This past fall the beam delaminated 80 miles into the Duke Blue Devil Ironman. I was not planning to stand the last 32 miles.

The ride is excellent if you do not have any problems with the beam.

FYI. I am looking to replace the frame set with something that is more reliable as I no longer trust this bike. The dealer that I bought the bike from is willing to sell me a new frame at cost, but I am stuck with a $2,000 frame set that I can not race on. If you want to take a chance on a Softride I will give you a good deal on the frame set. However, you may want to consider the Titan Flex instead.
Quote Reply