Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Caliente '03 vs. '04 Question
Quote | Reply
Am I right in thinking that the only difference between the '03 and '04 Caliente frame/fork is paint and carbon stays?

I've gotta make a decision this weekend, and it's a $400 swing between those two frames. The pretty paint and carbon stays of the '04 are not worth $400 more (at least not to me).
Quote Reply
Re: Caliente '03 vs. '04 Question [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Caliente is an interesting bike in that it is an attempt to compete with the P2K but lacks a lot of the P2K's sophistication. That said, the Caliente is a good, but expensive for what you get, basic aluminum triathlon bike.

The primary feature is the short top tube relative to seat tube length. It is a heavy bike also, but you get stiffness (both in ride quality and in bottom bracket deflection) as a trade off. If you need the short top tube, the Caliente is the choice. If you don't have the shortish torso, there may be better alternatives.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Caliente '03 vs. '04 Question [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you need the short top tube, the Caliente is the choice. If you don't have the shortish torso, there may be better alternatives.

And that's exactly why I want one instead of a P2K. I found a good deal on an '03 in my size that I'm gonna snatch up tomorrow. Only $700.

Thanks, Tom and Herbert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a good price. You will find it is a solid bike. I have owned no less than 6 Quintana Roo bikes and 4 of their wetsuits.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the damn thing! I found the 2003 frame/fork brand new on Ebay last year for $600. Built it up with far better components than on the factory built version and I saved about $500 off built-up retail.

For what it's worth, I absolutely love the bike. Maybe it's heavier than the P2k, but I've never weighed them. Perhaps Tom has some numbers for us. However, I think the ride comfort (which is excellent) will benefit you more over distance than cutting a few hundred grams.
Quote Reply