Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calibrate treadmill after having saved workout on Garmin watch
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I completed an indoor workout on a treadmill this morning and accidentally pressed “save” instead of “save & calibrate” on my Garmin watch.

The treadmill read 4.82 miles, but my watch recorded 5.52 miles.

Is there a way to fix the .fit file? I can change pace and moving pace in Garmin Connect and the Garmin App, but the pace in the graphs still shows as if my instant pace was much faster than what i really run.

It’s not a massive deal if it’s not possible to fix. But if there is a way, I would like to fix it.

Many thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrate treadmill after having saved workout on Garmin watch [iamgianluca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how to fix after the fact. But, are you sure your watch is wrong? I know for a fact that my treadmill is the one that's wrong so, I never save and calibrate. I trust my footpod and watch.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 2, 23 19:53
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrate treadmill after having saved workout on Garmin watch [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I don’t know. I generally run outdoors, but this time I used a treadmill at the gym. I don’t have a foot pod and always assumed the numbers reported by the treadmill are the accurate one. What do people think? Do you trust your watch or the treadmill?
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrate treadmill after having saved workout on Garmin watch [iamgianluca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... With just the watch it's trickier, as it's easier to "fool" by changing your arm-swing. I'd still trust the watch more than the TM, without more data, though. I've run on a lot of treadmills, very few have been accurate.

I run on the TM about 50/50 during the winter. So, I got a footpod years ago. I've done a lot of careful comparison using the footpod, heart rate, and rpe to validate the indoor pace vs outdoor pace. My TM is off by 60s/mi (slower... In truth it varies with pace). Since I run inside so much, I like to be able to compare paces and heart rate between inside and outside.

Gyms are also tricky because they usually have crappy airflow... Ie, no fans. That skews HR and RPE upwards making slower paces feel harder.

If you are going to do this regularly, I'd get a footpod and take some data to figure out which is right. If it's just the occasional one-off day, I wouldn't sweat it, and would just trust your watch.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 2, 23 21:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could go to garmin connect on your computer and press the edit button near the upper right hand corner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps another reason to adhere to time vs distance?

I made the switch about 7 years ago and have not looked back.
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrate treadmill after having saved workout on Garmin watch [deantrives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I also use time for my structured workouts.

I just wanted to see if it was possible to correct the instant pace in the Garmin file to sum up to 4.82 miles — basically a 11:18/mi pace, instead of having a 9:30/mi pace.

I was able to fix the pace and average pace in the summary, but the graphs didn’t change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ya, sorry, i spent some time this morning before work to see if I could figure something out, and .... I got nothin!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamgianluca wrote:
Yes, I also use time for my structured workouts.

I just wanted to see if it was possible to correct the instant pace in the Garmin file to sum up to 4.82 miles — basically a 11:18/mi pace, instead of having a 9:30/mi pace.

I was able to fix the pace and average pace in the summary, but the graphs didn’t change.

What is your normal outside pace?
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrate treadmill after having saved workout on Garmin watch [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 10:15/mi on the same type of session (long run in Z1-Z2) outdoors. So about in the middle between the treadmill and watch readings :-)

Anyway, it’s not a big deal if I can’t fix the instant pace for that session. I was just wondering if that was even possible but it seems that’s not a thing.

I’m not super concerned about the discrepancy between treadmill and watch during a workout. When working out, I generally just keep an eye on the HR monitor to make sure I don’t go over the prescribed zones — at least when doing long intervals or long runs. If we are talking short intervals, I mostly use the perceived effort. It’s not super precise but it seems to be working fine for me when working outdoors and indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamgianluca wrote:
Hi,

I completed an indoor workout on a treadmill this morning and accidentally pressed “save” instead of “save & calibrate” on my Garmin watch.

The treadmill read 4.82 miles, but my watch recorded 5.52 miles.

Is there a way to fix the .fit file? I can change pace and moving pace in Garmin Connect and the Garmin App, but the pace in the graphs still shows as if my instant pace was much faster than what i really run.

It’s not a massive deal if it’s not possible to fix. But if there is a way, I would like to fix it.

Many thanks!

Considering you took the time for a lengthy post, it is a "massive deal". If you ever wondered whether you're a Type A personality, I think it's confirmed. This is a total triathlete thing to do. I'm surprised you didn't run to 6mi flat to round out the number. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrate treadmill after having saved workout on Garmin watch [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lengthy? Its 5 sentences. Since when did 5 sentences qualify as lengthy?

I'd ask, "are you new around here?" but, you're not. I've written paragraphs on here longer than that.

Also, these behaviors are hardly limited to triathletes....including rounding out a run to the nearest even mile (or km).
Quote Reply