Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf Strain after changing TT position
Quote | Reply
Hi all, can't find any info on this on the internet so thought I'd see if any of you have any experience with this

After 2019 season I went to a local velodrome for some testing and subsequently changed my position to try and get some aero gains. Basically I stretched out more on the bike by moving armpads forward and saddle back, this allowed me to drop my head a little and saved me about 15W. This was great but the day after during an easy run I developed a calf strain...... I kind of guessed it might be related to the new bike position but I can't be sure.

Anyway for one reason or another I haven't trained much this year and I've just been getting back into training over the last 6 weeks...... really enjoying it and my big aim is to ramp up my run mileage to try and improve my Ironman run split. Disaster struck today though when I strained my calf again on an easy run. I don't think it's mileage related as I ramped up to 40 then had a week easy and this was the start of my next build. I have just got the TT bike back on the turbo and last night I did a session which had me in my aero position for a significant amount of time........... basically more time than I have all year since changing my position. I'm just wondering if this new position is tightening my hip angle and putting more strain through my calves and weakening them to the point where they tear. Does that sound plausible? Looking back at my training and also my history of calf strains (this is the 4th) I can't seem to pinpoint anything else that would have caused these last two occurrences. Which leaves me in the quandary of somehow adapting to the position some more whilst very slowly building my run back up, or going back to my old position (already quite aero before the changes).
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Strain after changing TT position [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speculating, but given the details provided, i'd look to see if there's something going on in your back. Issues in the back don't manifest there, they happen further downstream, like your calf. Stretched out on the bike might be weakening your posterior chain in some capacity, this affects the glutes and hammies and in turn your calves.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply