Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf Cramp
Quote | Reply
What causes a calf cramp?

I have had this problem on the bike two times, I have never had a problem with cramps on the run.
Oddly enough both cramps occured at the same course at nearly identical locations same calf.
The course location was a flat where i shifted to a lower gear and increased
my rpm. After resting for 30 secs and moving to a higher gear/lower cadence I didnt have any further cramping on the bike or run.

I am curious as to what to do for this problem and why it happens
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Cramp [kindsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you figure it out please let me know. Almost every duathlon on the bike my calfs cramp. i've tried hyperhydrating, different carbo drinks etc. nothing worked.
Yours could be related to the change in rpms or if you change your foot position with more or less flexion.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Calf Cramp [kindsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dreaded calf cramp!!

I know the course that you are talking about, but the funny thing is that it happened at nearly the same place. When you go from a lower cadence to a much higher cadence this will "shock" the muscle. Suddenly the muscle will be expected to deliver! Maybe your muscles are not used to these sudden changes, so in the future try to do sprints or simulate exactly what you did and get your fast twitchers used to the shock that you plan to put them through. Maybe get hold slowestwitch, he can give you a hand with his stop watch and some sprints.Remember also hydration, as lack of sodium and magnesium, can also lead to cramping.
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Cramp [drazinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The nasty calf cramp has screwed me 3 times this year, all three occurred during the bike portion. I have done a great deal of research and have ruled out dehydration, lack of vitamins/minerals, inadequate stretching, and sleeplessness. In my case the calf seems to lock-up when my legs are in the 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock position, when there is not as much stress on the calf. The only word I can use that explains how this feels is "paralyzing"; you just can move the muscle. I'm wondering 2 things, 1) will adjusting my cleats either fore or aft help and 2) will Rotor cranks make a difference since the calf is always been stressed?

Many thanks,

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: Calf Cramp [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

You may want to try moving your cleats a bit further back on your shoes. For me, calf cramps are a signal that I have the cleats to far forward on my shoe and it causes increased flexing of my calf as I pedal. If I shift the cleats back just a little bit it normally clears up the problem.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote Reply