Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
COVID Vaccine- what to expect (any reactions) ?
Quote | Reply
Hi all.
Just a PSA ...............
Got my Moderna vaccine yesterday.
It was a good day. Like a total relief or weight lifted.
I'm so very hopeful for all of us that this is some light at the end of the dark tunnel we have been traveling down.
So for me ................ no reaction really what so ever.
My arm does REALLY hurt at the injection site (well ............. really the entire arm). But guess what- this is a small price to pay.
I am so happy I got it and just though perhaps we should share any reactions (if any) or good experiences with the hopes that it may ENCOURAGE others who are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to GET IT DONE !!!!
I have about 50% of my office refusing / 50% went for it. THAT ................. is bizarre to me.
Be safe everyone. Happy New Year !!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: COVID Vaccine- what to expect (any reactions) ? [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it’s rumored that the second shot brings flu-like symptoms and overall a feeling of crumminess. So beware.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Dec 30, 20 20:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
people i know that work in the medical field are refusing / denying it, these people being those that work IN the covid units. if people that know about that sort of thing want nothing to do with it i am absolutely staying away from it.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: COVID Vaccine- what to expect (any reactions) ? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the Pfizer vaccine on Monday. Sore arm, a little headache were all I had. Regarding the post above, unless you have some substantive data to support your claim, please refrain from baseless fearmongering. There is enough about life that is hard right now without self proclaimed experts whose only “qualifications’ are strong opinions, assuming their point of view holds equal validity. Facts and evidence matter, anecdotes are not the same as evidence. I’m a physician at one of the largest hospitals in the US and I don’t know a single person who has declined the opportunity to get vaccinated if they can. Unless you want rolling lockdowns for the next three to five years, a vaccine is the only realistic hope we have of fighting this.

If you’ve seen people gasping their way into the grave from COVID, you would be unlikely to espouse nonsense like you just posted. I have seen young men turned to widowers, young women widowed, patients on ECMO for months, from this disease. Even if you don’t die, residual fibrosis in your lungs might make you a pulmonary cripple, myocarditis could leave your heart damaged, pulmonary emboli could leave you with chronic pulmonary hypertension, and the list goes on. That’s also what we’re trying to prevent. There are other aspects to disease beyond mortality.

If you can, please get the vaccine. We can have substantive talks about the various merits of allocations schemes, but not about whether or not we should try to prevent the disease. Anti-vax is an untenable and ethically repugnant stance.
Quote Reply
Re: COVID Vaccine- what to expect (any reactions) ? [eblackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i didnt know we couldnt post info and opinions in a discussion forum.

there's a lot to be wary of a brand new, rushed to the market vaccine.

Quote Reply
Re: COVID Vaccine- what to expect (any reactions) ? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But there's nothing to be wary of about vague information you heard from random people doing unspecified work in the covid unit.
I think I'll go with the actual scientists on this one.

damon.lebeouf wrote:

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: COVID Vaccine- what to expect (any reactions) ? [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
But there's nothing to be wary of about vague information you heard from random people doing unspecified work in the covid unit.

damon.lebeouf wrote:

what science, exactly?

knock yourself out, i couldnt care less what anyone else does. i never once admonished anyone to NOT take it... simply stated my personal opinion on it. hence, "discussion". the more people that do take it means theres a much bigger test bed to ensure short term safety. once i feel its safe to take ill happily get the shot, but not before then.

Quote Reply
Re: COVID Vaccine- what to expect (any reactions) ? [eblackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eblackadder wrote:
I got the Pfizer vaccine on Monday. Sore arm, a little headache were all I had. Regarding the post above, unless you have some substantive data to support your claim, please refrain from baseless fearmongering. There is enough about life that is hard right now without self proclaimed experts whose only “qualifications’ are strong opinions, assuming their point of view holds equal validity. Facts and evidence matter, anecdotes are not the same as evidence. I’m a physician at one of the largest hospitals in the US and I don’t know a single person who has declined the opportunity to get vaccinated if they can. Unless you want rolling lockdowns for the next three to five years, a vaccine is the only realistic hope we have of fighting this.

If you’ve seen people gasping their way into the grave from COVID, you would be unlikely to espouse nonsense like you just posted. I have seen young men turned to widowers, young women widowed, patients on ECMO for months, from this disease. Even if you don’t die, residual fibrosis in your lungs might make you a pulmonary cripple, myocarditis could leave your heart damaged, pulmonary emboli could leave you with chronic pulmonary hypertension, and the list goes on. That’s also what we’re trying to prevent. There are other aspects to disease beyond mortality.

If you can, please get the vaccine. We can have substantive talks about the various merits of allocations schemes, but not about whether or not we should try to prevent the disease. Anti-vax is an untenable and ethically repugnant stance.

It's odd to me that you would ask others not to espouse anecdotal evidence. Then follow with anecdotal evidence supporting your opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
people i know that work in the medical field are refusing / denying it, these people being those that work IN the covid units. if people that know about that sort of thing want nothing to do with it i am absolutely staying away from it.

It would be a mistake to assume that all the people in healthcare are sane. I've found that the percentage of anti-vaxxers in healthcare mirrors the general population.

The people I know working in Covid units are all getting it. The organizations I've heard about are mostly requiring the vaccine to continue to work in the Covid unit.
Quote Reply
Re: COVID Vaccine- what to expect (any reactions) ? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I’m willing to bet a lot of money that all of us could tell tales of people who got sick or died from Covid and others who had zero symptoms and also share stories of f people who had good and bad experiences from the vaccine. I’m not sure this is the proper forum for it, but if Slowman allows it, I welcome anecdotes from all sides. Then you can do with that info as you wish. Isn’t that the point of OP here (this rhetorical question isn’t to to the poster to whom I responded)?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Dec 31, 20 4:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eblackadder wrote:

the people i do know that work in the covid units have seen this, have told me about it in tears. and they are not anti vaxxers.

nor am i. my daughter has had all her "shots" just as prescribed from birth till her last round.

your opinion isnt the only valid one in the discussion. get off your high horse.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, there is no science. I'll wait for your friends in the covid unit to endorse the vaccine before I get it.
Thank you.

damon.lebeouf wrote:
G. Belson wrote:

damon.lebeouf wrote:

what science, exactly?

knock yourself out, i couldnt care less what anyone else does. i never once admonished anyone to NOT take it... simply stated my personal opinion on it. hence, "discussion". the more people that do take it means theres a much bigger test bed to ensure short term safety. once i feel its safe to take ill happily get the shot, but not before then.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously? Actual medical professionals refuse? It scares me to think those in the field don't understand science and medicine. I hope they aren't stupid enough that they wouldn't vaccinate their children from anything.

I have family in friends who work in pulmonary/respiratory ICU. They have watched thousands die alone. I know families who have lost someone. I dont know one person who is refusing them. If most countries listened to science and medical advice, this wouldn't be rampant. Plenty of countries did this right initially and are essentially covid free.

FFS humanity is hell bent on destroying ourselves in every way possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eblackadder wrote:
Regarding the post above, unless you have some substantive data to support your claim, please refrain from baseless fearmongering.

Now we have ST censorship? Beginning a physician doesn't trump the 1st Amendment or someone's right to express an OPINON (even if you're polite and say "please").

Now that our 5th grade civics class is out of the way............................

Where I work we are MAKING people take the shot or they simply will not be allowed to come to work. The EEOC has already ruled that this is possible especially with certain categories of businesses/government agencies/employees.

To answer the OP's question...."what to expect"? Simple; you will not get COVID.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Hi all.
Just a PSA ...............
Got my Moderna vaccine yesterday.
It was a good day. Like a total relief or weight lifted.
I'm so very hopeful for all of us that this is some light at the end of the dark tunnel we have been traveling down.
So for me ................ no reaction really what so ever.
My arm does REALLY hurt at the injection site (well ............. really the entire arm). But guess what- this is a small price to pay.
I am so happy I got it and just though perhaps we should share any reactions (if any) or good experiences with the hopes that it may ENCOURAGE others who are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to GET IT DONE !!!!
I have about 50% of my office refusing / 50% went for it. THAT ................. is bizarre to me.
Be safe everyone. Happy New Year !!!!!

My father in law was in the Moderna trial. Soreness at the injection site for a few days and the second injection nothing, but a small headache for a night. That also corresponded by his decision to cut back on wine the previous week so who the hell knows. ;)

Get vaccinated people! Science and medicine have proved far more reliable than whatever political/religious/radio/internet conspiracy theorists' insane doctrine ever has.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Dec 31, 20 5:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:

Would be interested to know these peoples role on the covid unit. Doctors vs nurses vs cna’s vs housekeepers? What is their specific reason for refusing it?

I’m a hospital based pharmacist who has spend the past 6 months covering our COVID unit where our daily census is ~80 patients. I got the vaccine. So did all of providers who cover that unit (unless they have gotten covid in the past 90 days). The first person to get the vaccine at our hospital is our lead ICU doctor who has a PhD in virology in addition to his MD degree. The vaccine has been shown to be both safe and effective and in order for us to return to normal as many people as possible need to be inoculated either come a vaccine or from getting covid itself

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Dec 31, 20 5:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

damon.lebeouf wrote:
once i feel its safe to take ill happily get the shot, but not before then.

"Feel safe".
Feel ? An utterly irrational approach to safety decision making with no demonstrable basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
eblackadder wrote:

the people i do know that work in the covid units have seen this, have told me about it in tears. and they are not anti vaxxers.

nor am i. my daughter has had all her "shots" just as prescribed from birth till her last round.

your opinion isnt the only valid one in the discussion. get off your high horse.

Sure sounds like they are....I mean they refused the vaccine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:

This is a bit of a misconception. The development of a vaccine for a Coronavirus began around 2012/2013 when MERS was an issue. In around January of 2020 the government reached out to the team who had been working on the MERS vaccine about shifting their focus over to COVID. The second half of episode 727 of This American Life did a pretty good job covering it and talked to a number of scientists involved.

I would be interested to hear what exactly you feel wary of when it comes to this vaccine. As mentioned in a post above, the last 6 months has been covid treatment 40 hours a week for me. I’ve lost count of how many academic papers, review articles, Dr Fauci talks, etc that I’ve read and listened to

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm replying to the OP because arguing with the rumour factory is pointless.

But the point I'd make is that you should see it as a public duty to get vaccinated when it is your turn. Almost all discussion about this focusses on ourselves as individuals. But as we all know a virus can't spread if enough of the population can't catch and spread it. Some countries might struggle to reach that threshold because of rumour and anecdote. Because of threads like this (although not the OPs intention).

I would encourage people to listen to the medical profession as a whole. A few people someone might know is entirely irrelevant compared to the number of medical professions working on and with the vaccines. In the UK vaccines will be largely provided by our GPs. Qualified medical professionals. I haven't heard of a single one who might refuse to take part. My niece works in a respiratory ward and although I love her dearly and am extremely proud of her work she is competent to carry out a number of tasks people need as part of their care. She will absorb knowledge from the doctors she works with. But she is not an expert in wider medicine, biology, etc. She is not a doctor. As it happens she is not part of the rumour mill. My point is I would listen to her about conditions, numbers infected and what she has observed. But I'd read scientific articles rather then listen to her outside her area of knowledge.

Please can we listen to overwhelming scientific opinion, backed up with very large studies, and encourage others to do the same. The truly vulnerable will be safer when corona virus can't spread and this is the way we get there with the least death.
Quote Reply
Re: COVID Vaccine- what to expect (any reactions) ? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running to work. In a Covid ICU. So only have time for brief response, but wanted to weigh in early.

If you have personal concerns or fears, I won’t try to invalidate them.

But please. Do legitimate research. Reputable and critically reviewed data. Understand the science and technology that has been in the works for years that brought us this.

Come on people. I know you can. I’ve seen you micro analyze the bejesus out of how many nano watts/kg you can get out of the newest most innovative hydration system for your TT bike.

I had no side effects. My health system is not mandating it. And I would say upwards of 95% of the ICU staff have gotten it. I am advocating all of my clinic patients to get it as soon as available. This includes the handful of people I now follow who were previously healthy (seriously, truly had no prior pulmonary history), and now have chronic lung disease (asthma, irreversible fibrosis, etc). Same for friends and family.

The disease is to be feared more then the vaccine.

Edit: That said, I am aware of and do respect the risk of potential allergic/anaphylaxis reaction for those who may be predisposed to severe allergic reactions. This has more to do with the suspension than the immunology, but is a fair caveat to consider if you have that history.
Last edited by: WannaB: Dec 31, 20 8:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been in the Moderna double blind study since the beginning . . . I believe I am a "placebo boy." However, I know many people in the study. No serious bad reactions . . . sore arms, maybe a bit achy, but that's it. Apparently I get unblinded next week, and if I am placebo boy then I get rewarded for being in the study by getting the vaccine. I wouldn't hesitate.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in a hospital as a secretary. Got the Pfizer last week. No side effects just maybe a little soreness at the injection site. Other than that I barely even noticed a shot.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
eblackadder wrote:

By all means then, enlighten us as to the reason to avoid the vaccine? What inside scoop do you have from the folks in the COVID ward regarding the lack of efficacy of the vaccine?

Do you bike out on the road? I can guarantee you that you have a far far greater chance of coming to harm or death riding a bike on the road than from taking the COVID vaccine.
Last edited by: mcmetal: Dec 31, 20 6:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know about 15 people that have gotten it so far. All mild soreness and a few headaches. No big deal at all. But who cares, that's not a significant sample size.

There's no arguing with some people. All the "rushed to production" dopes are just that, morons that have made zero effort to do any legitimate research on the topic. And no, Facebook friends and "the people I know who work some random job in a hospital" is not research.

"Show me the science" when defending rumors and anti-science BS is the calling card of the scientific illiterate, and that's why they are not worth arguing with. The peer reviewed studies already exist. They clearly have chosen to ignore them. Now it's our turn to ignore those idiots.

The vaccine is obviously fine. It's been in the works far longer than the specific virus that it's now fighting. Don't bother trying to explain that to someone who actively does not want to understand. They aren't worth the keystrokes. It's best to just leave the anti-science folk to yell at the wind. Responding to them gives them more opportunity to spray their stupid around. Just don't give them the time of day. They don't deserve it.

Get the vaccine when you can and feel confident that the global medical community is much much much smarter than the random conspiracy nut on ST or Facebook.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Dec 31, 20 6:41
Quote Reply

Prev Next