Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam
Quote | Reply
This news deserve its own thread.
Finally she will be racing top women's level road racing.
And also a team sport ;-) .
It will be very interesting to see how this major career and life change turns out...

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, well "team sport" concept can wait a little....

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...Jrlnzs6CS4QadMkPeVes

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ruh-roh.

https://sports.yahoo.com/...media-121436478.html

◼︎ We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening a mob with the news that grass is green. - Chesterton
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [TMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a big deal. She's a good person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

She shouldn't have apologized because there was nothing to apologize for. Didn't know cycling, a mostly European sport, had such a social media rage mob.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unles your new "boss" tells you so:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHlPOiQJO6t/

LOuis :)
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm more annoyed she's riding anything with SRAM on it.

;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

;)

I normally don't like to be incivil, here, but get stuffed.

#SRAMmafia #SRAM4Life #ShimaNO #CampagNOlo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoever wrote the article seems to be jumping the gun a bit. While he lost the election, Trump is not the former President just yet.

“Another Tweet apparently 'liked' by Dygert referenced former US president Donald Trump’s proposal...”
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

;)

I normally don't like to be incivil, here, but get stuffed.

#SRAMmafia #SRAM4Life #ShimaNO #CampagNOlo.

Your Red shifter better not crap out during our TTTs the way mine did in a TTT-like effort (OTF with some big hitters), or for that matter, the way my Red RD crapped out in another race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

As far as I can tell, her social media conduct was that she has repeatedly liked Trump & Candace Owens' posts on twitter and is being lambasted for it on social media by a few other accounts who frequently tag her sponsors and cycling media. Has anyone seen anything else that she posted that was more inflammatory? Am I missing something?!

Is liking right-of-center tweets deserving of public apology?

Just a PR move by Canyon-SRAM?

In my close vicarious experience with her personally she was one of the most genuinely kind people in the peloton, towards my wife, who was her direct competitor. Markedly more kind, and more generous with support, encouragement and tactical advice than any of the other competitors, ironically. Leaving this anecdote here because she's being touted as a hateful person by a few on social media, and my experience indicates the opposite.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

No. Those tweets are not right of center though.

Yes.

In today's age of social media, it's possible for a random IG influencer to generate more $$ for a corporation than a professional athlete. She/they are doing what's best for their bottom lines IMO, although I will say when you're on a team it's not "how do I do things" but "how do we do things here"...

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
... I will say when you're on a team it's not "how do I do things" but "how do we do things here"...

E

Totally this. Thence my original post.

LOuis :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

As far as I can tell, her social media conduct was that she has repeatedly liked Trump & Candace Owens' posts on twitter and is being lambasted for it on social media by a few other accounts who frequently tag her sponsors and cycling media. Has anyone seen anything else that she posted that was more inflammatory? Am I missing something?!

In my close vicarious experience with her personally she was one of the most genuinely kind people in the peloton, towards my wife, who was her direct competitor. Markedly more kind, and more generous with support, encouragement and tactical advice than any of the other competitors, ironically. Leaving this anecdote here because she's being touted as a hateful person by a few on social media, and my experience indicates the opposite.

Unless being nice to your wife pays Ms. Dygert's wages, it's irrelevant. This, first and foremost, is an employment issue. Also, many of the vilest people in history (and I'm not calling Ms. Dygert vile, just pointing to a generally observed phenomenon applicable to people whose actual transgressions are orders of magnitude worse than what Ms. Dygert did) are kind to people they like. Al Capone was doting on his progeny; ditto for some of the most brutal of dictators such as Mussolini, Stalin, and Mao. It's like how Jesus says in the Bible that even the tax collector (whom was viewed with much derision) has friends. That Ms. Dygert is kind to people she chooses to like does not negate the fact that she espoused views that are considered odious.

And her views are material to her employment, because cycling is a sport primarily funded via sponsorship, and you, being married to someone who participates in pro cycling, probably understand this better than most. There's very little TV right payments and almost non-existing gate receipts. Sponsorship is all about brand image and messaging; therefore, her rhetorics is very much part and parcel of her job, in a way that doesn't apply to sportspeople who mainly derive part or much of their earnings from gate receipts and TV rights.

Ms. Dygert has two options here: either rely on the likes of Candace Owen (pun intended) to sponsor her, or look to someone who both gives a rat's ass about cycling and has the pockets to write checks. Ms. Dygert may not be the brightest of bulb, but I think she's bright enough to understand that the latter is a lot more prudent. If she really is a true believer, she can even buy out her contract any time she likes, but at the end of the day, she choose pragmatism.

Also, "right of center" in the present case is not a policy wonk issue such as an exhortation for keeping the capital gains tax rate below that of earned income, or that more states should adopt "right-to-work" laws. Instead, the "right of center" posts in question are written by a firebrand whose intentions are to troll and inflame. Calling the following remarks as merely "right of center" is like calling Guernica as merely a fighting that occurred during the Spanish Civil War: both may be factually correct on the most tenuous of connections but in reality purposely miss the point.

Quote:

"realized that if he [ed. Kaepernick] grew an afro and played the part of victim, he could scam the black community out of millions."

Lastly, speaking of "right of center" and "right-to-work" laws, Ms. Dygert can count on her lucky stars that Canyon-Sram is not incorporated in an at-will employment state (actually, it appears to be a foreign entity). Had her team been based in an at-will employment state, she literally could have been terminated without cause.

ETA: correction made re: the correct name of the sportsperson in question
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 30, 21 18:11
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok dude, you went straight to Lavender Room territory.

The current POTUS was lawfully elected, liking something he tweets, no matter outrageous shouldn't be cause for being attacked by the social media outrage mob. But you seem to be in the group that is a part of that outrage? How about don't stalk folks twitter feeds?

From a fairness perspective, that means the rest of the athletes on that team can't like political things on social media either.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Nov 15, 20 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not 100% sure but pretty sure she is back to Chloe Dygert (no need to hammer in Dygert OWEN).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

The current POTUS was lawfully elected, liking something he tweets, no matter outrageous shouldn't be cause for being attacked by the social media outrage mob. But you seem to be in the group that is a part of that outrage? How about don't stalk folks twitter feeds?

From a fairness perspective, that means the rest of the athletes on that team can't like political things on social media either.

This whole topic is LR territory; only reason why it's here is because the sportsperson in question is a pro cyclist. I didn't mention the POTUS at all (at least not knowingly). I also didn't stalk her twitter (the quote is taken from one of the articles).

I'm also not "outraged". I'm merely pointing out the consequences of being employed in a capacity where one's public image is material to the employment.

As for the "fairness" point, that's completely irrelevant when there's a contract involved. An entity and a sportsperson signed a contract, and that contract spells out what the employed can and cannot do. No one forced the contract on the sportsperson, and s/he is free to walk away from it at anytime as long as s/he buys out the remaining terms. She's only being reprimanded, because her image and reputation is material to her employment. Put another way, who would give a rat's ass, were she instead a Sram engineer who liked posts by Candace Owen? In the end, it all comes down to her visibility and her job description (being a brand ambassador for Canyon and Sram).

You can object to the perceived lack of fairness by Canyon-Sram by not buying the products made by the companies in question.

Also, for the record, I think she has been quite magnificent as a sportsperson. But being a sportsperson per se does not get one paid. A sponsorship and/or contract from a sponsored team does that. She wants to be paid; alas, that will come with strings, which she has accepted by signing the contract in the first place. To quote the various characters from The Godfather, "it's strictly business".

If you feel so worked up and aggrieved about it, you can always start a GoFundMe page to help Ms. Dygert escape the reality and tyranny of the capitalist labor economy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

brando wrote:
Not 100% sure but pretty sure she is back to Chloe Dygert (no need to hammer in Dygert OWEN).

I didn't know that until you mentioned it; thanks for the correction. I just looked her up again, and it appears that she parted ways with Logan Owen.

Previous post has been amended in view of this
Last edited by: echappist: Nov 15, 20 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I think he did that on purpose. She hasn't used her ex-husband's surname all of 2020.

_______

So, this whole thing from Canyon/SRAM is coming off as disingenuous and bullshit. They should have just backed their athlete, they knew what she believed in and must have thought that fit them. Another Sponsor's profile on her from July:

Quote:
As wardrobe is discussed, there’s a debate about hot pink: Do they want to look like badasses, or badass princesses? Though hot pink is Dygert’s favorite color, she insists she’s not girlie; one of many angles to her worldview that might seem hard to square until she explains it. She’s got a cross tattoo on the back of her neck and a pierced nose. She’s a staunch conservative. She doesn’t drink and she hates social media. She married—and divorced—young. She’s grappled with many injuries en route to 10 world championships. She views setbacks as fuel for the fire. She doesn’t believe in feminism and collects Barbie dolls.
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/theredbulletin/kate-courtney-and-chloe-dygert-american-muscle

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Nov 15, 20 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Unless being nice to your wife pays Ms. Dygert's wages, it's irrelevant. This, first and foremost, is an employment issue. Also, many of the vilest people in history (and I'm not calling Ms. Dygert vile, just pointing to a generally observed phenomenon applicable to people whose actual transgressions are orders of magnitude worse than what Ms. Dygert did) are kind to people they like. Al Capone was doting on his progeny; ditto for some of the most brutal of dictators such as Mussolini, Stalin, and Mao. It's like how Jesus says in the Bible that even the tax collector (whom was viewed with much derision) has friends. That Ms. Dygert is kind to people she chooses to like does not negate the fact that she espoused views that are considered odious.

And her views are material to her employment, because cycling is a sport primarily funded via sponsorship, and you, being married to someone who participates in pro cycling, probably understand this better than most. There's very little TV right payments and almost non-existing gate receipts. Sponsorship is all about brand image and messaging; therefore, her rhetorics is very much part and parcel of her job, in a way that doesn't apply to sportspeople who mainly derive part or much of their earnings from gate receipts and TV rights.

Ms. Dygert has two options here: either rely on the likes of Candace Owen (pun intended) to sponsor her, or look to someone who both gives a rat's ass about cycling and has the pockets to write checks. Ms. Dygert may not be the brightest of bulb, but I think she's bright enough to understand that the latter is a lot more prudent. If she really is a true believer, she can even buy out her contract any time she likes, but at the end of the day, she choose pragmatism.

Also, "right of center" in the present case is not a policy wonk issue such as an exhortation for keeping the capital gains tax rate below that of earned income, or that more states should adopt "right-to-work" laws. Instead, the "right of center" posts in question are written by a firebrand whose intentions are to troll and inflame. Calling the following remarks as merely "right of center" is like calling Guernica as merely a fighting that occurred during the Spanish Civil War: both may be factually correct on the most tenuous of connections but in reality purposely miss the point.

Yes, I understand public image for brands & athletes is virtually everything in niche sports. Appreciate you granting me such an assumption.

So, if I'm not mistaken, what you're saying is, you agree with me that this is just a PR move by Canyon/SRAM and that I'm not missing anything more than those tweets she liked? If so, cool!

The purpose was of my personal anecdote was exclusively to provide just that, a personal anecdote, against the notion that she might be hateful, for the reason (exclusively) that that is specifically what a few accounts on twitter and social media have publicized about her. The anecdote was not intended to provide any argument for or against her business partnerships. If desired, I can expand on why I believe she may be genuinely nice to those who she has no affinity for. But as you pointed out, it is irrelevant to the employment discussion. Suffice it to say, I suspect this is not a tax-collectors-of-the-Bible-have-friends-too situation.

Admittedly, I should have made more clear the intellectual separation between my first 3 paragraphs and the final one, in my original post. I'm sure I've blundered sufficiently with my clarity in this post as well, and may be thoroughly picked apart. Rightfully so, if I can't make my points clearly.

Most respectfully, have at it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

She liked posts that claimed Kaepernick

"grew an afro and played the part of victim, he could scam the black community out of millions".

She also liked posts that attacked and belittled trans people. It is reasonable that some people might be disgusted by her hateful views.

You do not need to "stalk" her feed to know she did this. Twitter's algorithm "suggests" posts that people you follow favorited. With thousands of followers the hateful posts she liked were suggested to many people. It is understandable that her new team would want to proactively address this issue.

It is good that she admitted her mistake and sees this as a learning opportunity. She is young. Kids do stupid things.
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

There are good people on both sides. (sorry, too easy a shot)

The issue is that she is not paid to ride bikes, she is paid to sell bikes. If I admire her (or her performances, personality, etc.), I am more inclined to buy a Canyon or consider SRAM equipped bikes vs. Shimano or Campy. To the extent that she alienates significant portions of the customer base, she becomes less valuable to her employer. They are trying to mitigate what they see as the reduction of her value.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

If you are a sponsored athlete, you are payed to portray a certain public image. If you don't like being paid as a sponsored athlete and projecting the image and branding you are paid to, it's a voluntary occupation and you can quit.

It's not a question of deserving, its a question of doing the job you are being for.
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
trail wrote:

There are good people on both sides. (sorry, too easy a shot)

The issue is that she is not paid to ride bikes, she is paid to sell bikes. If I admire her (or her performances, personality, etc.), I am more inclined to buy a Canyon or consider SRAM equipped bikes vs. Shimano or Campy. To the extent that she alienates significant portions of the customer base, she becomes less valuable to her employer. They are trying to mitigate what they see as the reduction of her value.

I have been looking at a SystemSix and the new Aeroad. SystemSix it is!
Quote Reply
Re: CHloe Dygert with Canyon/SRam [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

If you are a sponsored athlete, you are payed to portray a certain public image. If you don't like being paid as a sponsored athlete and projecting the image and branding you are paid to, it's a voluntary occupation and you can quit.

It's not a question of deserving, its a question of doing the job you are being for.

Agree 100%.

So a PR move then.

Just making sure I hadn't missed incendiary statements she personally made. Just clarifying!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On your high horse, you might want to better track plurals and plurality.
Quote Reply

Prev Next