Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CDA Wind? Wheels
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to upgrade and buy a set of tubular race wheels for this season but I'm not really sure what to get. I do a variety of races, but as IM Couer D'Alene is my focus for the year, I want to be sure to get something that will work well there.

I know there's a few good climbs, but I don't know how windy it is in that area? Is it too windy for a disc rear or even a three spoke like HED 3's? Would a good old set of Zip 404s be my best best?

I have a Softride Rocket TT (700c) and weigh about 170lbs if it makes any differnce.

thanks for your recommendations.

Barry
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Wind? Wheels [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two things that can be dangerous in the wind... a disc or a 400 or so front wheel.

My observation has been that if you are above 160 or so lbs, a strong cyclist, and/or have above average bike handling skills you will be fine with a disk in nearly any wind. But I train in lots of wind nearly every day that I ride. We grow it here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry,

Here's my background: I'm 5'10" and 145 pounds. I have 15+ years of bike racing experience (former Cat 2 in France). I'm an above average bike handler (but not spectacular). I've raced 404s in wind, rain, and numerous other "tough" conditions and never felt they were a problem.

After seeing the profile and speaking with my coach, I'm PLANNING on racing Zipp 909s (404 front with Disc rear). The course is relatively flat. It will have winds (from the west) when we are heading west (predominantly head/tail wind). When we head south, we'll be in the woods (the curvy section of the course is wooded according to my "contacts" in CdA). If the winds are gusting above 25 mph, I'll likely switch to a 404 rear.

In short, I'd recommend the 909s...They are notably lighter than the Hed 3s (for the limited climbing) and will be very aerodynamic.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are planning on using the wheels for more than one season I wouldn't focus on any one particular race. Look for the best all around wheel that you can find/afford and it will probably be fine for just about any race you do. I ride a Hed jet front and a Hed Deep rear wheel for racing no matter what the weather is. I've raced on hilly courses and windy courses (although not Hawaii yet) and never had any problems. I am an average level bike handler and about 170lbs (when I'm fit ... it is still too close to Christmas). I am considering adding a disk to the arsenal in the future but don't know if it will really be much faster than the Hed.
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Wind? Wheels [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point Allan. Thank you all for your suggestions.

BK
Quote Reply