Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

C'mon Everybody, Critique My Bike Position
Quote | Reply
I know this isn't the first such request on this board, but it's my first one. I recently put together a "new" Cervelo P2 and have been working on my position. I'm finally at the point where I feel I have good power and comfort in the aerobars. In fact, the position feels best on the aerobars, whereas I started out not feeling comfy in them. I have zero local expertise to help me. Heck, triathlon bikes aren't even available here (even though most of them are made here).

http://www.divad.net/triathlon/position.htm

These shots were taken this evening during a CompuTrainer session. I didn't stop pedaling for the shots. Some were shot while spinning easily and others while really digging it in during the Power Repeats workout. I was able to do four trips over the Power Repeats course and stay powerful and in the aerobars throughout, reaching a top output of around 525 watts when the road kicked up.

I've printed these out and drawn the linking lines as with Tom D.'s "Kama Sutra" page, and it looks good to me. I am using a pretty short stem in these shots and will probably swap to one a cm. longer. Otherwise I'm not sure if I need any further adjustments. I'd really appreciate the help of some trained eyes. Comments?

Best,

David in Taipei

American's are definately infekting the world with there English grammer.
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Everybody, Critique My Bike Position [tri_taiwan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't have much to say about your position, as I don't know much, but this will help keep your post active.

Your aerobars look like they are pointing up a bit, have you tried them more parallel to the ground?

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, this is bad, ok? Get a longer stem. Lower those aerobars, you look like someone from the 80's... This is NOT good, contrary to what you may believe.

And one more thing. You take the time to post the pictures on your web page. Why not have someone hold the camera HORIZONTALLY??? How on earth can we help you, when I have to tilt my monitor, so I can see you straight from the side? Redo, and get a picture where the knee is in its highest position... does it hit higher than the albow? Does it go in between the arms? Does it HIT the elbow???

Sooo, get pics at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. Not at 10 and nearly at the bottom. You do wanna ride fast right?

I prefer a someone slight downtilt of the bars relative to the horizontal. This gives me the power to really grind those big gears. And yes, I know what fast is... trust me.

cheers.

"It's not about winning or losing. It's about passion..."
Bernie Focker, "Meet the Fockers"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phooey, I can't get the darn page to load or the link to work. Oh Pooh.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a big fan of the forward seat position, so you look a little forward to me. Other than that the seat adjustment looks okay. Your aerobars and bullhorns do seem to be angled a bit up and are maybe bit high. The biggest thng I see is that your cockpit does look to be cramped- perhaps a longer stem.

To more important issues, you nailed the accessories. Those shoes match your outfit like there is no tomorrow! You go!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're actually similiar to the guy who posted on his P3 that I thought was a bit too far forward. It's hard to judge of a computer screen but your femur, like the other fella, measures longer than your lower leg, at least over my computer screen. People with longer femurs are generally better off on a slightly more shallow angle.

According to Cobb, if you drop a plumbline from your ear it should dissect the elbow joint when on the aero bars. On you it appears to drop ahead of this onto the forearm. Your elbow angle appears around 90 degrees. I'd prefer 100-110 as Cobb recommends. All this indicates that you're sitting a bit too forward. If you slide your seat back a little this would move your ear plumbline over the elbow joint and also increase your elbow jt. angle.

Also not crazy about the aerobar angle. Would prefer it flat or angled slightly up at only 5 degrees or so. Note that the real powerhouses on the bike, such as the
German superbikers even have their aerobars pointed down slightly.

Seat ht. Looks about right. multiply your inseam by .883 and measure from BB to top of seat. This is a starting point, you might even want it slightly higher on a steep angled bike.

Try a few of these suggestions and send us another photo.
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Everybody, Critique My Bike Position [Laphroaig72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Redo, and get a picture where the knee is in its highest position... does it hit higher than the albow? Does it go in between the arms? Does it HIT the elbow???

You take the time to post the pictures on your web page. Why not have someone hold the camera HORIZONTALLY??? How on earth can we help you, when I have to tilt my monitor, so I can see you straight from the side?

I prefer a someone slight downtilt of the bars relative to the horizontal. This gives me the power to really grind those big gears. And yes, I know what fast is... trust me.

Fair enough. It's my wife with the camera. She thought she was doing me a favor just by picking up the camera... I noticed the slant and rotated the pictures with a graphics editor, as you can see from the "orangy sky" befitting your 80's theme (name that band) in picture #5.

Oh, and the URL should work with either the ".htm" or "html" extension.

http://www.divad.net/triathlon/position.html

or

http://www.divad.net/triathlon/position.htm

Not to get defensive, but both pictures #4 and 5 show the opposite knee at the top of the pedal stroke and clearly indicate my knee isn't hitting my elbow.

I'm with you on the proper camera angle and leg position. Will try again, perhaps with a different camera operator. As for my general position, I already suspected my seat was too far forward, and the pictures seem to bear that out. Thanks for your time.

Best,

David in Taipei

American's are definately infekting the world with there English grammer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cars. Great song.

I used to work on Elliot Eastons guitars - boy, that was a long time ago...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty good to me (although I'm no bike fit expert) but I agree with jjmc27 that you should level out your bars a bit more.
Quote Reply