Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying race wheels.
Quote | Reply
So like so many of us COVID has basically taped an extra fuel storage strait around my gut. I made a deal with myself that if I can lose 30lbs I would consider myself worthy of spending money on speed and buy some race wheels (something I've always wanted but never had) assuming racing has come back. I had a discussion with the LBS about in 2023 buying a new TT bike after I pay off my car (yeah buddy). They recommended not getting race wheels and waiting until 2023 because I should be upgrading to disc brakes. So it's kind of a two tear question. So it got me thinking. As far as I've been lead to believe rim brakes are still faster than disc, but every single manufacturer seem to be pushing disc brakes. At this point if you're not forced to spend any cash is it even a good idea to invest anything in rim technology? Or do you think rim will always have a couple sets of wheels and plenty of replacement parts to go around?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Buying race wheels. [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you aren't going to be dealing with compatibility issues with legacy gear, then disc brakes is the way to go.

that said, there will still be rim brake stuff around for a while, but selection will be more limited. most new bikes are going disc-only anyway, so that choice might be made for you.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes are the future. That is no longer a debate. The latest SRAM Axs Rival groupset is disc-only.

However, rim brakes and parts will also be around for a long time.

So, the question is entirely personal and how likely you are to buy a new disc bike frame and migrate to disc. If it is no plans for the foreseeable future, then get a great set of disc race wheels.

If you think you might upgrade bikes in the near future, then save your money and apply that to a new disc bike (preferably, one of the high-value bikes that comes with deeper wheels, like Canyon).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fastest bikes tested have disc brakes. While I don't necessarily think disc brakes are faster, I have a really hard time seeing them being the anchor people try to portray them as either, in the context of the whole system they're probably a wash.

Long story short, if I was buying a new bike and wheels I'd probably go disc, hence my next road bike is probably going to be a venge. That being said, i'll probably keep upgrading my legacy P2c for my tt bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying race wheels. [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Disc brakes are the future. That is no longer a debate. The latest SRAM Axs Rival groupset is disc-only.

However, rim brakes and parts will also be around for a long time.

So, the question is entirely personal and how likely you are to buy a new disc bike frame and migrate to disc. If it is no plans for the foreseeable future, then get a great set of disc race wheels.

If you think you might upgrade bikes in the near future, then save your money and apply that to a new disc bike (preferably, one of the high-value bikes that comes with deeper wheels, like Canyon).

Yeah, this new bike in 2023 I'm hoping to get a long time out of. Like 7-10 years, which is about normal for me and a bike. For really the first time in my cycling and tri life I can actually afford gear! But that doesn't mean I can afford it every year... Also Canyon because they come with deep section wheels very much on my short list. My only concern with that is can those wheels handle day to day training too because I'd rather not buy training wheels as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said there will be rim brake parts around for a very long time but selection will be limited. On the plus side, you'll be able to pick up some nice rim brake wheels relatively cheaply on the used market.

All that said though, if I were buying a new bike now or planning to in the near future, I'd go disc brake all the way. I built up a custom Ti bike in 2013/14 and I absolutely love it. The one and only thing I'd change on it would be to go with disc brakes. But, they really weren't such a thing for road bikes back then. They were around but not that common.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In two years there's a very good chance that the bike you'll want will be disc brake. IMO, wait until you get the new bike, and get it with race wheels. Deep carbon wheels (ex. Zipp 404s) are easily durable enough to train on.

If you get rim brake race wheels, the resale value will be quite low even if they are only a couple years old.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to pile on my .02.... :) :

1. As mentioned, you will not have to ever worry about availability of rim brake wheels and part/brakes. They will be available long after you are done with the sport. Just like tubulars.
2. Don't even bother thinking about speed diff (rim vs disc), the difference is likely so minimal all things considered that it is a waste of time to worry about.
3. If you are sticking with your rim brake bike until 2023, then hell yeah, treat yourself to some rim brake aero wheels now. Find a pair of lightly used HED Jets for well under 1k. When you buy a new bike in 2023, resell them.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 17, 21 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Buying race wheels. [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Just to pile on my .02.... :) :

1. As mentioned, you will not have to ever worry about availability of rim brake wheels and part/brakes. They will be available long after you are done with the sport. Just like tubulars.
2. Don't even bother thinking about speed diff (rim vs disc), the difference is likely so minimal all things considered that it is a waste of time to worry about.
3. If you are sticking with your rim brake bike until 2023, then hell yeah, treat yourself to some rim brake aero wheels now. Find a pair of lightly used HED Jets for well under 1k. When you buy a new bike in 2023, resell them.

Yup like it or not disc is going to be about all you will be able to get in 2023.

If you want a set of wheels to get you to 2023, then see if you can score some Jet+ Black wheels. The brake track will make you wonder why anyone ever thought they needed disc brakes and you can usually score a decent used pair for about $800ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bike are you racing on now?

I personally would get a set of race wheels now (used) and resell them when you get your new bike. Your current tri bike will be easier to sell and worth the look by buyers if it has race wheels. Plus, you can use them for 2 years.

Do you have a road bike with disc brakes?
Quote Reply
Re: Buying race wheels. [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt B10. It was a 2011 frameset leftover that I was able to buy from the lbs built up with ultegra 10 speed. It actually has 40mm ttr3 wheels which arenā€™t bad. I just wanted to give myself a weight loss incentive. Anyway I bought it back in 2016 and chose the 10 speed
Because at the time I knew I wouldnā€™t be able to afford race wheels. By the way road bike also rim brakes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two years ago I built up a 2015 Felt IA FRD frame and went with rim brakes (could have gone disc for more $$$). I actually had to upgrade the race wheels too because my existing set wasn't compatible. I just feel that disc brakes on a tri bike are not quite as necessary as a road/gravel bike because you shouldn't be braking much, lol! I do agree that if you buy a new bike in 2023, you'll be buying a bike with disc brakes. That said, if you're racing soon, 2 years is a long time to wait. You should be able to get a rim set fairly cheap. FWIW (shameless plug), I have my old set for sale in the classifieds (tubular). Ping me if you have any questions).

Pat Dwyer
@pdwyer99
Quote Reply
Re: Buying race wheels. [patd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patd wrote:
Two years ago I built up a 2015 Felt IA FRD frame and went with rim brakes (could have gone disc for more $$$). I actually had to upgrade the race wheels too because my existing set wasn't compatible. I just feel that disc brakes on a tri bike are not quite as necessary as a road/gravel bike because you shouldn't be braking much, lol! I do agree that if you buy a new bike in 2023, you'll be buying a bike with disc brakes. That said, if you're racing soon, 2 years is a long time to wait. You should be able to get a rim set fairly cheap. FWIW (shameless plug), I have my old set for sale in the classifieds (tubular). Ping me if you have any questions).

Ugh racing soon.... I wish! As of right now, and for the foreseeable future there's no racing in Massachusetts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Says who? I live outside of Boston and there are several races scheduled as of today.

Pat Dwyer
@pdwyer99
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I knew, and last I checked on every site races are still a no go until 4-2. So Iā€™d love to know what races are going on in mass right now. I mean I havenā€™t been able to race in over a year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also I know a ton are ā€œscheduledā€ but the were ā€œscheduledā€ last year too. Itā€™s still early but some have already been rescheduled and Iā€™m sure more are to come. Iā€™m sounding pessimistic but I donā€™t think anything is opening up until at least July if weā€™re lucky.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year and last year are apples and oranges. I'm not positive the races will go on, but I knew pretty confidently that they weren't happening last year. I'm planning on Nationals in August....and they appear to be a go. And, I'm pretty sure that Sun Multisport Events and New England Endurance Events plan to have their races...perhaps at a lower capacity. Just my .02.

Pat Dwyer
@pdwyer99
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" I actually had to upgrade the race wheels too because my existing set wasn't compatible"

Why weren't they compatible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patd wrote:
This year and last year are apples and oranges. I'm not positive the races will go on, but I knew pretty confidently that they weren't happening last year. I'm planning on Nationals in August....and they appear to be a go. And, I'm pretty sure that Sun Multisport Events and New England Endurance Events plan to have their races...perhaps at a lower capacity. Just my .02.

I honestly hope Iā€™m wrong and Baker comes on TV right now and opens road races. I know theyā€™re very different years. I could see July races MAYBE happening but it depends on how many people stick to the standards and get vaccinated. August races Iā€™m maybe only 60% sure will happen and Iā€™ll actually reasonably comfortable with September.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thought is to get a solid pair of rim brake race wheels this year. I would get tubeless ready rim brake wheels as that will last you "forever" if you only plan on racing with it. Of course, assuming no crashes.

Rim brakes are dying but considering race wheels can easily last 15 years or more, it is safe to say you could buy a rear wheel today and keep it for a long time. Front wheels last a little less due to braking surface wearing much more than the rear wheel.

I would stay away from tubular wheels. I predict that in three years all major bike races in the world will be won on clinchers or tubeless (most likely tubeless). Even today, I see less stock of tubulars by most bike shops. I predict it will be easier to find rim brake parts than tubular tires over the next ten years.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying race wheels. [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Another thought is to get a solid pair of rim brake race wheels this year. I would get tubeless ready rim brake wheels as that will last you "forever" if you only plan on racing with it. Of course, assuming no crashes.

Rim brakes are dying but considering race wheels can easily last 15 years or more, it is safe to say you could buy a rear wheel today and keep it for a long time. Front wheels last a little less due to braking surface wearing much more than the rear wheel.

I would stay away from tubular wheels. I predict that in three years all major bike races in the world will be won on clinchers or tubeless (most likely tubeless). Even today, I see less stock of tubulars by most bike shops. I predict it will be easier to find rim brake parts than tubular tires over the next ten years.

Mmm this is definitely true. I donā€™t see why race only wheels would ever die in a non crash related circumstance. I still have a way to go on my weight loss before I meet the ā€œconditionā€ I set for myself to buy wheels. So I have time to think about it. End of the day I may give a metaphorical finger to the forced upgrades and buy a rim brake bike anyway if itā€™s cheap enough and had good components. I just worry about getting stuck buying new equipment and then replacing it earlier than I want to. But I feel the sport is already too expensive so why spend more?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

Mmm this is definitely true. I donā€™t see why race only wheels would ever die in a non crash related circumstance. I still have a way to go on my weight loss before I meet the ā€œconditionā€ I set for myself to buy wheels. So I have time to think about it. End of the day I may give a metaphorical finger to the forced upgrades and buy a rim brake bike anyway if itā€™s cheap enough and had good components. I just worry about getting stuck buying new equipment and then replacing it earlier than I want to. But I feel the sport is already too expensive so why spend more?

LoL. Looks like people talked you out of it.
Why would you buy wheels now if you donā€™t need them now?
More like a ā€˜wantā€™ more then ā€˜needā€™.

If you need them now, buy what makes sense now (rim).
If you donā€™t and wait, buy whatever the new bike will take (disc).

Youā€™ll sink money either way.
Prices will drop once we are out of that Pandemic Mindset and supply piles up.

That decision what will be available New has been made for you.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 19, 21 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: Buying race wheels. [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, for now there are still some bikes available, or at least listed in the 2021 catalog, with rim brakes. So the decision isnā€™t ā€œquiteā€ made for you. They are becoming more and more rare though.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply