Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying my first Tri bike
Quote | Reply
I am buying my first TRI bike. I am looking at a Canyon Speedmax. I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what model to buy. I am looking at either the Speedmax 7.0 ($3,300) with Shimano 105 and AR58 and 80 carbon wheels or the Speedmax 8.0 LTD ($5000) with Di2 R8050 and Zipp 404 / 808 wheels.

I can afford the more expensive Speedmax 8.0 but I was wondering if you thought I would really get a noticeable speed /time advantage from spending the extra cash or should I just go with the 7.0 and maybe get a nice smart trainer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying my first Tri bike [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you think you are likely to pursue triathlons over time, then the extra for electronic shifting is very wortwhile. The wheels are a major upgrade too, but they might not be what you would choose if you were selecting optimum components. For example, you might want a rear disc rather than the 808. $1,700 is not a huge incremental spend for those two upgrades, so the value is there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$1700 more for Di2 and better wheels sounds like a no brainer. I’d certainly go with babe $5k bike if money isn’t an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.0 with a PM and smart trainer....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who started with a mechanical shifting tri bike (Trek Speed Concept) and then upgraded it to Di2, I would 100% go with the Di2. Huge upgrade, for all the reasons you have probably read about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying my first Tri bike [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why Canyon specifically?

I just got my first tri bike as well and I’d encourage you to look at other brands too especially bc Canyon has been behind on the shift to disc brakes.

Buying a bike now without disc brakes will really crush the resale value of it down the road. If that’s something that is important to you.

Take a look at Argon, QR and Cervelo if you’re open to it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost a podium spot at a local HIM because I dropped my chain on the bike and lost around a min slowing down, fixing it, and getting back up to speed. That wouldn't happen with Di2. My next bike will have it.

Other than that, have you gotten a bike fit to figure out if the stack and reach of the speedmax will work for you? If not spending $150 on a fit beforehand is a wise investment to make sure you don't have a bike that is impossible to fit into your ideal position.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying my first Tri bike [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:
I lost a podium spot at a local HIM because I dropped my chain on the bike and lost around a min slowing down, fixing it, and getting back up to speed. That wouldn't happen with Di2. My next bike will have it.

Other than that, have you gotten a bike fit to figure out if the stack and reach of the speedmax will work for you? If not spending $150 on a fit beforehand is a wise investment to make sure you don't have a bike that is impossible to fit into your ideal position.

why not?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Buying my first Tri bike [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
matate99 wrote:

why not?

I suppose never say never, but because Di2 has autotrim on the front derailleur, if you are cross chained when shifting the front, it won't go quite as far. In my case I'm pretty sure I slammed my shifter all the way and the chain had enough *momentum???? when cross chained to drop it. At least that's how it was explained to me.

*Not sure what the proper term would be
Quote Reply
Re: Buying my first Tri bike [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also look at Quintana Roo. For $4K I got disk brakes and some noice Reynolds wheels. Add a bit more and you have your electronic shifting.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you been fit yet? I would highly recommend getting fit first to make sure the Canyon will fit. in my opinion Canyon specs their bikes with crank arms that are too long for most sizes so I would factor swapping for a shorter crank into your budget. I have nothing against Canyon bikes but I have fit a number of people who purchased first and then got fit only to find out they needed a different size bike or different bike all together or needed to switch some components to suit their fit and riding style.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Buying my first Tri bike [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chain drops happen with non-mechanical bikes too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Electronic shifting is awesome, get the Di2 upgrade. Much easier during races. Also makes the bike a bit more useful and versatile... since you have shifters on the bullhorn handlebars you can more easily ride 'normally', helps for hilly courses, technical courses, group rides, etc.

Also, will pile on with the suggestion to get a fit and potentially open to other brands if your fit technician recommends one that might fit better. I have an Argon, FWIW, and love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For your first tri bike, I'd go with the lesser priced mechanical model, a power meter and get a Tacx Neo or Wahoo Kickr so that you can ride indoors in the winter. At the beginning of your triathlon career, what will make you better is not the level of bike you buy but consistent training. Once you've progressed in triathlon, get all of the bells and whistles on your 2nd bike and your 1st bike can become your 'trainer bike' so you don't have to wear out your race bike on the trainer. Gear is great but doesn't replace training.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying my first Tri bike [BrianJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianJ wrote:
Have you been fit yet? I would highly recommend getting fit first to make sure the Canyon will fit. in my opinion Canyon specs their bikes with crank arms that are too long for most sizes so I would factor swapping for a shorter crank into your budget. I have nothing against Canyon bikes but I have fit a number of people who purchased first and then got fit only to find out they needed a different size bike or different bike all together or needed to switch some components to suit their fit and riding style.

^^^^^ Words of wisdom, these are.
Quote Reply