Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying first tri suit
Quote | Reply
I'm wanting to buy my first tri suit. I'm not sure where to start. Can anyone make any recommendations? I'd like to save some money, but will open up the wallet if its necessary
Quote Reply
Re: Buying first tri suit [Jimmy21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plenty of good brands to check out that you can look through threads on here to see. Honestly best way is probably go to the individual websites and lookat what they offer and then work from there.

castelli, zoot, roka, wyn republic, de soto, LG, Kiwami, and wattie ink are some off the top of my head that are popular. Im not really sure how much you would be looking to spend but that lists offers a pretty wide range Id think

the "fastest" tri suit in my opinion will vary person to person based on how well it fits both from an aerodynamic and a comfort standpoint so hard to say which is the best. i use a roka suit currently and havent had any issues myself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First rule of tri suites, none of them are cheap.

Most of the good ones are in the $200 - $300 range. There are some way above that, but they incremental value probably is not there for most people.

I think that Pearl Izumi is one of the mainstream brands that has a good option below $200. That is a pretty good value.

I have a De Soto, and I love it. (It is my 2nd one.) Also, get sleeved unless there is some reason you really don't want sleeved. Makes you faster in water and bike, and it help protects a little from sunburn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have several brands and my fav as far as comfort / fit goes is roka. their suits are not really THAT expensive comparatively and feel the best after a 5 hour effort.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the same and have probably a silly question:

If wearing a wetsuit, do you wear the tri suit under your wetsuit, or it's worn in place of a wetsuit, or [Option C]?
Quote Reply
Re: Buying first tri suit [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:
If wearing a wetsuit, do you wear the tri suit under your wetsuit, or it's worn in place of a wetsuit, or [Option C]?
I think top-tier racers & swimmers roll-down the tri suit top under a wetsuit or swim skin. The idea is to limit overheating and improve shoulder mobility.

I wear my tri suit normally under my wetsuit. I really do not notice much swim impact, but I am a so-so swimmer (better than average, but far from good).
Quote Reply
Re: Buying first tri suit [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw one recommendation to wear a cycling top and tri shorts. Logic being that you are going to wear a wetsuit over it anyway, so a cycling shirt works fine for the swim, obviously fine for cycling and then will be fine for the run.

Thoughts?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-sl-stripe-jersey/p/189802?color=307832-189802&searchText=64021-2211
Last edited by: Jimmy21: Apr 19, 21 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy21 wrote:
I saw one recommendation to wear a cycling top and tri shorts. Logic being that you are going to wear a wetsuit over it anyway, so a cycling shirt works fine for the swim, obviously fine for cycling and then will be fine for the run.

Thoughts?
Be very cautious about a 2 piece. The small of your back sunburns EASILY and his hard to apply sunscreen to. Personal experience.

One-piece
Advantages
Less sunburn potential
No waistband to exasperate GI distress
No flapping the wind which happens with some 2-piece version
More flattering if you aren't physically perfect

Disadvantages
Hard to fit if your torso is differently lengthed than average
Pee-ing a bit more difficult.

I used Desoto in all my IMs and I believe I bought all of them on sale or on clearance. I love their pockets and the way they fit.

They last as I had 5 years between my first and last IM(x5) and they lasted the entire time despite using also using them in spin class and at shorter tris.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first tri suit was a 2-piece. It was OK, but the one-piece was a huge upgrade. First, it takes time to put on a shirt in transition when you are wet and fatigued. Second, a good fitting one-piece is faster on the bike. And third, on those non-wetsuit swims, a sleeved one-piece will be faster in the water.

And, as the other poster mentioned, most 2-piece tri-suits I have seen are sleeveless with low collars. I got massively sunburned in that sucker. It is just easier to manage the sunscreen with a sleeved suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one piece castelli san remo - fits me like a second skin and I never even know it's on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found many good options on ebay or facebook marketplace. I think they are mostly overstock or unsold in store. Just search "mens tri suit medium" and you should find some solid options if you want a new suit on a budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:
I'm doing the same and have probably a silly question:

Wear it under your wetsuit. Trying to put on a trisuit when your wet is like wrapping yourself up in scotch tape.

You can wear it in place of a wetsuit assuming its warm enough. In that case its probably not wetsuit legal swim anyway, unless your just into freezing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just adding another voice... I have a sleeved, one-piece from Zoot and I love it. Actually have a few; If you don't need ASAP, wait for sale events and you can get them discounted. But good value even at full price. I'm sure the other brands are great too, but I do love Zoot.

I'd very much agree with both one-piece and sleeved that others have given. I started with separate top and bottom. One-piece WAY better. Much more comfortable, feels fast, never have to fiddle with it or move it around during the race. Get hot during the run, zip the front down a bit, etc. Sleeved is also great. Not getting burned on the shoulders is a revelation. And also can be worn with or without wetsuits... easy to swim in. I think the argument against sleeved is it somehow inhibits shoulder movement? To me, feels like wearing nothing at all. Maybe they bought a size too small? Not sure. Anyway, hope this is helpful and good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy21 wrote:

Thoughts?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-sl-stripe-jersey/p/189802?color=307832-189802&searchText=64021-2211

Avoid using a cycling jersey for tris. Most are too loose fitting for what is basically a time trial ride (tri suits and cycling skinsuits are much tighter fits). They also tend to be cut for the hunched over cycling position and are not ideal for the arm swing during running (i.e. they often chafe).

+1 on looking on eBay for suits. Just make sure to get a good brand (De Soto, Pearl Izumi, 2XU, etc.) and avoid the cheap suits from China (ex. Sparx, etc.). A year ago I was selling some overstock Pearl Izumi sleeved trisuits ($200 retail) and they were going for ~$75.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Buying first tri suit [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything wrong with this one?
https://www.ebay.com/...b:g:W80AAOSw0MpffdXT

I think medium should fit me. 5'10. 160 pounds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2XU is a solid brand. They’ve been making tri gear for years, and sponsor a number of pros.

Just avoid suits on ebay/amazon like these: https://www.ebay.com/...349624.m46890.l49286

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rosshm wrote:

If wearing a wetsuit, do you wear the tri suit under your wetsuit, ?

Just wear it under your wetsuit. If it has a zipper leave it unzipped for the swim, zip up on the run to T2 after you get your wetsuit down to your hips and off your arms. Then smooth out the arms on the suit.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Buying first tri suit [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^ Another vote here for Castelli ^^^^
Quote Reply
Re: Buying first tri suit [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:

the "fastest" tri suit in my opinion will vary person to person based on how well it fits both from an aerodynamic and a comfort standpoint so hard to say which is the best.

Your opinion is correct. What's fast for me may not be fast for you, or the OP or someone else while crushing everything on the market by 4 watts on a 5th person.

If you're not testing buy the suit that's most comfortable and has the least amount of wrinkles around the clavicles when in the aero position.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy -
I’ve used lots of brands and in both one and two piece models. All of the comments in this thread are accurate. So I won’t advocate for any one brand but instead suggest that you try on a bunch to see what works. If you have a tri shop locally go there. If not, Triathlete Sports has good return policies.

They all fit a bit different. They should be very snug but not restrictive. It’s a strange feeling at first but you’ll know it when you feel it.

-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any love here for https://sls3.com/ ? I’ve been racing in their two pice stuff for several years, and very happy with it. I even have their modestly priced aero wannabe helmet, and love it. They also have some insane end of year sellouts (how I got what I have of theirs). They have tri suits, and I’ve been thinking of trying one.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Buying first tri suit [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
Jimmy -
I’ve used lots of brands and in both one and two piece models. All of the comments in this thread are accurate. So I won’t advocate for any one brand but instead suggest that you try on a bunch to see what works. If you have a tri shop locally go there. If not, Triathlete Sports has good return policies.

They all fit a bit different. They should be very snug but not restrictive. It’s a strange feeling at first but you’ll know it when you feel it.

-Doug

Sadly, the only local tri shop is online order, pickup only, due to covid
Quote Reply