Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying a bike on Backcountry
Quote | Reply
Hello all. Has anyone here purchased a bike off Backcountry? Also, is it true that backcountry and competitivecyclist are one in the same for bike purchases? I reached out about the process, and they said they build the bike in-house and then box it up with the wheels and handle bars removed, so it sounds like there would be minimal assembly on my end. Thank you for any input!
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike on Backcountry [pete459] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pete459 wrote:
Hello all. Has anyone here purchased a bike off Backcountry? Also, is it true that backcountry and competitivecyclist are one in the same for bike purchases? I reached out about the process, and they said they build the bike in-house and then box it up with the wheels and handle bars removed, so it sounds like there would be minimal assembly on my end. Thank you for any input!

I have had friends and coworkers purchase bikes from them. They are a quality company. Backcountry, Competive Cyclist, Steep & Cheap and others are owned by same parent company. I’ve purchased a lot of gear and components from them in the past. Recently I’ve purchased less as their minimum shipping cost to my location is $25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pete459 wrote:

BC & CC yes are owned by the same company. I haven't ever purchased a full bike from them but I have purchased many bikes mail order bikes from other companies. Usually it is pretty much as you state, handlebars removed, and if it is a disc brake bike, the rotors and brakes are off as well. Seatpost is usually removed as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my tri bike from them. Since I live in Salt Lake City, I just went by and picked it up assembled. Very simple process and friendly people. I did have to have it fitted though as they did not do anything from a fit perspective, but I didn't expect them to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming its similar to bikes direct. Some assembly required and adjustments, nothing major though. Also always good to check each and every bolt is tightened to the right torque.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Cyclocross bike from them two years ago. It was a great deal and it was shipped pretty much as others are stating. Minimal assembly was required. Maybe an hour's worth of actual assembly and adjusting. The pleasant surprise was that the Backcountry crew had already converted the tires to tubeless (complete with Stan's), which I was already preparing to do. It was a huge bonus for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a mid-range bike from them in 2012. They were absolutely fantastic to work with after a defect appeared that required a replacement frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as others here, I bought a CX bike through them. It had been built up and adjusted, then partially disassembled and boxed up and shipped. I was riding 20 minutes after opening the box. Their packing job was exemplary and I could not have been more pleased with the whole process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a Ridley CX bike from Competitive Cyclist about 3 years ago. There were some minor spec differences, such as a QR front axle on the bike while the spec said thru axle. This plus some general buyer's remorse led me to return it after one 45 minute ride. It was a bit nerve-wracking as their policy was to only accept returns for $ on unused bikes, otherwise you get credit. I carefully cleaned the minor dirt off the spokes and tires, etc as best I could, and once it got to their warehouse they inspected it, deemed it good to sell new, and refunded my money.

I think if you are 100% sure on the bike it is great, but the main drawback of mail order (I also have experience with Canyon) is you can't test ride or even see the bike to really know if it's the one, once you ride it you are likely in the return for credit camp. Even if you don't ride it, it's also a fair amount of work to unbox, check it out, rebox etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been to the backcountry store in Salt Lake. They and Competitive Cyclist share the same counter for purchasing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s good to hear. I’ve ordered many things (cycling parts and gear) from backcountry, but never a bike. Since it’s a carbon frame bike I would worry about damage in shipment, but it sounds like they’re knowledgable and reputable when it comes to building and shipping bikes. Ive already ridden this model so I know the bike with everything stock fits me fine, I’ll just have to transfer my seat post measurements over from my current road bike and dial it in from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Backcountry and Competitive Cyclist are the same company (they used to be different, but I dating myself ;). They are very customer friendly and know what they are doing. In fact, if I am buying a bike online and it's a brand they carry, they are the first one I would go to. Highly recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my carbon mtn bike (Intense Tracer 275) from them (Competitive Cyclist) a few years back, great place to do business with; I have purchased from them many times. Assembly is a breeze.
Last edited by: robbieracer: Oct 31, 18 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a bike on Backcountry [robbieracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are a solid company, talk to a gear head and get yourself an account. Very good return policy and you can contact your personal gear head for discounts and upgraded shipping.
Quote Reply