Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buoyancy Shorts/Non-Wetsuit swim
Quote | Reply
Curious...Are buoyancy shorts allowed during non-wetsuit legal swims?
Quote Reply
Re: Buoyancy Shorts/Non-Wetsuit swim [Formulagod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Re: Buoyancy Shorts/Non-Wetsuit swim [Formulagod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Formulagod wrote:
Curious...Are buoyancy shorts allowed during non-wetsuit legal swims?

That's a hard no. They count as a wetsuit.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Buoyancy Shorts/Non-Wetsuit swim [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think neoprene shorts and especially pants could have a very positive place in triathlon  The current USAT cut off is at or above 78d. At that level it allows an athlete the choice of what type of neoprene they want to wear. Full, farmer John, pants, or even just shorts.  The category is too broad because all of theses listed have different purposes.   Foremost to me is that there is a real safety issue when people choose a full suit at high, but legal tempatures. Often times this is because the full suit is the only one they own or brought to the race. A wetsuit that works at 60d is not a suit you should wear at 76d (WTC) or 78d (USAT). It makes most people way too hot for racing. 

I have suggested to USAT that their guidelines should reflect this.  Full suits at 76 or below.   Sleeveless (farmer John) at 78 and below and then  pants or shorts at any temperature.  This would be a step to help support new/inexperienced or challenged swimmers in open water and make the swim safer (yes, and faster) for most everyone. 

I have seriously been involved in the sport for over thirty years and have seen/used most tech changes that have taken place.   For the  most part, they have been made to make people faster, more comfortable and safer. 

So do swim shorts and pants provide an unfair tech advantage?  In my opinion, yes but no different than bike frames/wheels, shoes and clothing (including swim skins).  

In a sport that most people agreeably don't swim well, my suggestion does not help me against my competition, but would be a positive for triathlon as a whole (and business too).  One more piece of equipment to buy.  So yes, when I go to a triathlon, I need to pack my full suit, sleeveless suit,  pants, shorts and swim skin just to be covered.  It's a far cry from my first triathlon in 1986 when I did the whole race in running shorts.   

Doug Marocco USAT #1039 I have been doing this sport for a while!
Quote Reply