Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question
Quote | Reply
So i was looking for a set of "speedbar" like bars to put on my Felt IA, and did NOT want to spend more 3-400 dollars on them.

https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/vision-tfe-pro-aerobar-extensions

Primary reason for the purchase was the added comfort i figured these could help out to keep my in aero for a longer time. Problem was i did NOT want to change out my basebars to make these work. After looking at the bars on the vision website, i figured i could use the TFE roundbar adapters to make this work. Recieved the work and got to work with the 3D printer for a prototype

Made the adapter to the stock felt spacers, that utilizes the "fit spacer" to keep the whole thing locked together and utilizing the bottom up bolts to mount the system. This also allows me to utilize the felt riser spacers, and bridge if i need to.

Verified Fitment with the tilt adapter as well

Then sent the file off to a buddy with a CNC to make the final adapters for myself to mount the TFE bars onto the felt IA basebar.

Once i finalize my fit on these bars, ill print up a beauty cover to slide over the spacer assembly to make it one cohesive airfoil

Now for the question

i measured my size according to the vision diagram, which said i was a side small, when im in the aero position, my hands naturally want to choke up on the extension end and leave a big gap under my forearms (ignore the bar end shifters, they are being replaced with the smaller single button ones soon, they are trainer use only)

If i get off the bike and lay my forearm down on the extension, my elbow seems to sit SIGNIFICANTLY off the back.

Any thoughts on how to correct this?

a Size medium bar adds 20mm to the length, and a large is 40 mm. i have ~ 40-50mm of elbow hanging off the back it seems
Last edited by: Viper966: Aug 10, 21 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sell longer? Not sure if the origin of that part was pro cycling or tri. But with UCI 15deg and 10cm rise rule that is why you see lots of pro cyclist TT bike fits with elbows rearward of the pads. It games the rule.

So buy the longer and possibly tri specific version if they sell it.
Quote Reply
Re: Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sell a medium and a long version

This is what i followed to order myself a Small, based off this.

Since i have ~ 40mm.. do you think i should order the medium or small?

goes in 20mm increments up

i dont know why they put the requirement for space at the elbow joint.
Quote Reply
Re: Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Wow you did a great job. I was also planning to make adapter plate for IA with TFE (in my case I have carbon plate to machine) so your article was really interesting to me.

Anyway, what alloy did you use? 6061? 7075? and heat treated?

An answer to your Q. I followed visions sizing chart and bought S. I have 25~30mm gap when I put my arms on it. I think you should get M or ... use No or very thin bar tape.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter Ghimme: Aug 10, 21 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peter Ghimme wrote:
Wow you did a great job. I was also planning to make adapter plate for IA with TFE (in my case I have carbon plate to machine) so your article was really interesting to me.

Anyway, what alloy did you use? 6061? 7075? and heat treated?

An answer to your Q. I followed visions sizing chart and bought S. I have 25~30mm gap when I put my arms on it. I think you should get M or ... use No or very thin bar tape.

i thought about doing a cf stack with a recess for nuts inside the stop of the spacer, or doing a cf reinforced nylon 3d print with the same nut on the back side.

ultimately i decided aluminum was the best option for me, as i didnt trust my bike/face to a 3d printed spacers that i couldn’t do a destructive test on

although honestly the cf nylon should be plenty strong in compression; but still..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my case, I decided to use TFE tilt adapter (it comes with Vision TFA bars and is sold separately), TFE bridge and 2 plastic extensions for Vision's hydration system.

For the TFE bridge (126mm) is much wider than Felt's bolt lateral distance (I think it is 76mm) my adapter plate has to be laterally wide so it have to endure the torque caused by the leverage. Fortunately I have 1/2" thick aerospace grade carbon plate and only thing left is machine it...

I had to go this way because I just wanted to use Vision hydration extension. If I were not to use it, I may be follow your design. yours looks really neat and clean. Actually, I am debating whether I should follow your model.

Thanks anyway, your model is really inspiring.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i ended up cutting the tilt adapter bridge short to allow me to use my mount adapter for the middle distance felt mounts.. if i was going to go that route i was just gonna weld the bridge together. the 15 degrees of stock tilt was fine for me though.

depending on the stack height, i dont really know how much that bridge is needed to be fair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Stuff...

is the felt IA by any chance the same as Profile Design.. Mine is a total hack job, because I just retapped holes in my angled PD platform. It works but I have 2 spots for extentions . I cut some old extension super short and used Tri-rig aero plugs. I exactly mount a computer to one.. so not totally useless.

If someone makes one with Profile Design spacing I would be interested

-
Quote Reply
Re: Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which pd bar?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:
which pd bar?

it's a current model Parlee TTiR. but I think it's the same as aeria .. because I am using the Evo bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, my initial design I mentioned before failed due to nut insertion(?) and mal-machining... if you do not mind, could you share your design with me?

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what specifically are you looking for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:

I don't know why they put the requirement for space at the elbow joint.

This is the correct take re: the elbow. Based on this diagram they're giving bad advice, especially to triathletes.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 23, 21 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:

If i get off the bike and lay my forearm down on the extension, my elbow seems to sit SIGNIFICANTLY off the back.

a Size medium bar adds 20mm to the length, and a large is 40 mm. i have ~ 40-50mm of elbow hanging off the back it seems

If you want to hold the bars this way, you'll need the longest one they make.

OTOH, I call this "working for the bike". You ought to make the bike work for you...

E

Edit: AeroFit superfans will spot the "helicopter vs. fighter pilot" framework as well

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 23, 21 13:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice work here. I am in the process of the exact same modification for my Cervelo P5. Well done.
Quote Reply
Re: Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the TFE would fit Cervelo P5D? I'm thinking replace the stock arm rests with these and just pull out the mono-bar competely.
Someone commented on Vision's website that they use it with P5D, but they have no spec for the distance between the screws of the spaces, so I have no idea if it will just fit as is or will need an adaptor

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ended up ordering the large extensions, and they fit perfectly now for my intentions.

I also ended up fabbing up some beauty covers from CF reinforced nylon on the 3d printer to route the DI2 cables clean, and clean up the look. i had to raise this up a bit from the original fit, so i have one felt 5mm fit spacer on the basebar, and then the 5mm tall bridge across to stiffen things up, and originally I had my Garmin mounted there for short course. Currently printing a BTA bracket and computer mount before IMFL to allow me to put the computer out between the bar ends, and mount my Xlab torpedo nice and clean

ericMPro wrote:
Viper966 wrote:

If you want to hold the bars this way, you'll need the longest one they make.

OTOH, I call this "working for the bike". You ought to make the bike work for you...

E

Edit: AeroFit superfans will spot the "helicopter vs. fighter pilot" framework as well

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, i agree, FSA/Vision's product manager basically told me that fit advice was for UCI compliant riders.. and the bars were not originally intended for Triatletes.. that being said.. their lack of documentation etc on their site really makes it hard to figure things out. They were helpful via email however, but their site definetly lacks proper documentation for a lot of the products they sell

ericMPro wrote:
Viper966 wrote:

This is the correct take re: the elbow. Based on this diagram they're giving bad advice, especially to triathletes.

E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve expressed this concern on another thread. They need more measurements on their website.

Viper966 wrote:
Yes, i agree, FSA/Vision's product manager basically told me that fit advice was for UCI compliant riders.. and the bars were not originally intended for Triatletes.. that being said.. their lack of documentation etc on their site really makes it hard to figure things out. They were helpful via email however, but their site definetly lacks proper documentation for a lot of the products they sell

ericMPro wrote:
Viper966 wrote:

E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
umm.. if possible CAD file or STP? anyway your CF nylon cover looks great!

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome work.

Funny as I just came off working on some position adjustments, and have some thoughts on the bolts that come with these extensions. Unless, someone has some better idea... the hex M5 countersunk bolts, in my experience, round out way too easily. There just isn't enough depth in the head to survive 4nm of torque more than few times (e.g., taking them off for travel).

I am swapping the stock bolts out for torx M5 bolts x 16mm. I think Zipp / Sram got this one right. Countersunk bolts have limited depth for the bolt to work with, and torx heads are far better in these application. Thought this might be helpful for anyone considering these extensions.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Oct 23, 21 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
email addy? i can send you stl files, but im not sure they would be much use unless you are adapting a felt basebar
Quote Reply
Re: Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

make sure you have quality wrenches, a lot of allen wrenches are undersized, and thats what causes the roundout most of the time… , but t25 isnt a bad idea as
long as you have the tools to torque them correct

bloodyshogun wrote:
Awesome work.

Funny as I just came off working on some position adjustments, and have some thoughts on the bolts that come with these extensions. Unless, someone has some better idea... the hex M5 countersunk bolts, in my experience, round out way too easily. There just isn't enough depth in the head to survive 4nm of torque more than few times (e.g., taking them off for travel).

I am swapping the stock bolts out for torx M5 bolts x 16mm. I think Zipp / Sram got this one right. Countersunk bolts have limited depth for the bolt to work with, and torx heads are far better in these application. Thought this might be helpful for anyone considering these extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I have felt IA 2020 disc with Felt proprietary base bars like yours. Thanks a lot!!
rlarbgud101@gmail.com

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Built some Vision TFE Pro Custom Adapters for my Felt IA & fit question [TheWhiteCarrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheWhiteCarrot wrote:
Very nice work here. I am in the process of the exact same modification for my Cervelo P5. Well done.

Doing something similar to my P5 rim as well. Did you know Aero Coach makes an Aduro adapter?

Eric

Quote Reply

Prev Next