Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Building up an Allez Sprint Frameset
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I've decided to build up a new crit bike to replace my CAAD10 and bought a Allez Sprint frameset. As an engineer, I love working on my current fleet of bikes. Over the years i've accumulated a lot of tools (including torque wrenches for the sensitive carbon parts) and have gained experience installing/replacing a lot of different components. From your experiences, what exactly am I getting myself into that maybe I haven't considered, as working on an already built-up bike is probably different than building up a frameset?

I have race wheels, a stem, crankset and saddle ready to go, and just bought shifters, derailleurs and handlebars (building up a full R8000 groupset). I'm having the bike shop install a Shimano hollowtech-compatible bottom bracket to replace the 30mm BB it comes with. The only thing I haven't bought yet are brakes, I think the brakes on the Allez Sprint are direct mount but was waiting to get the frameset in my hands first to confirm. I can also see myself getting frustrated getting the shifter cables through the frame, so i'm debating paying a bike mechanic to do that as well to limit my frustrations. A few of my questions/concerns:

1) I'm assuming a non-built up frameset fork comes very oversized and needs to be cut, is this correct? I will have a bike shop cut it to the right size (with room for some spacers so I can adjust my fit as necessary)

2) I know the frameset comes with a headset but does anyone know if I need to supply my own top cap and spacers? I can always take the top cap and spacers from my CAAD10--I can't imagine they aren't the same size?

Any tips or lessons-learned from more experienced bike builders would be greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Building up an Allez Sprint Frameset [pete459] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe it's direct mount.

It should come with its own top cap. Yes, the steerer will likely need to be cut. It's not hard to do yourself with the proper tools - you just need like a Park Tool SG-6 and a carbon-cutting blade for your hacksaw (usually available at Home Depot, etc). And some sandpaper to smooth the cut. The benefit of doing it yourself is you can experiment, and not annoy the shop by bringing it in 3 times to cut it progressively lower.

There's no need to have a bike shop install the BB. I recommend something like the Wheels Mfg. BB30 Outboard Angular Contact BB . Super easy to install. Just smear a little grease on, and push 'em in and tighten up with a standard tool.

W.r.t the BB, the only thing that might take shop-type skills is if the frame comes with BB30 bearings already pressed in, knocking those out without damaging them so you could sell them with the frame should you re-sell. Bearing knock-out tools can be a bit "specialized." (though bearings are cheap, like $20 for good Enduro BB30 bearings, so it's not the end of the world to damage them if you just use a hammer and a wooden dowel.)

Other than that, it's pretty a straightforward build. Getting all the housing the right length is always important. Making good, clean housing cuts and de-burring the ends makes for good shifting/braking.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 28, 19 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: Building up an Allez Sprint Frameset [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight!

Regarding the BB, I believe the bike shop will be taking out the BB30 it comes with and installing this BB when I pick up the frameset, so I can run my R8000 cranks without using a push-in adapter:

https://praxiscycles.com/...bb30-pf30-68mm-road/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s easier to run cables if you have and old bent spoke and some yards of spare cable guide. The thin tubular black stuff the cable runs in around the BB and you see near deraileurs. Ask a shop for length of it.

And a bent old spoke.

Or string and vacuum trick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pete459 wrote:
Thanks for the insight!

Regarding the BB, I believe the bike shop will be taking out the BB30 it comes with and installing this BB when I pick up the frameset, so I can run my R8000 cranks without using a push-in adapter:

https://praxiscycles.com/...bb30-pf30-68mm-road/

OK, cool, that's very similar to the one I linked to, just a different manufacturer. My only point is that those are very easy to install yourself. You just push them in and thread them tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As previously pointed out, you don't need a bike shop to install a bottom bracket or cut a steerer tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the Allez gang, happy to have you!

I built up mine last year, and only had a shop do the steerer tube, and did the rest myself.
-Brakes are not direct mount
-The frame comes shipped with plastic tubing already fitted thru the cable routing holes. Simply feed your cables thru those tubes before removing the plastic tubing.
-The bottom bracket was kind of confusing to me, it comes with the specialized OSBB which really isn't a traditional BB, I think it's just 2 bearings pressed into the frame. IDK a whole lot about bb *shrug* . Why would you change it out? I was able to fit my Sram red BB30 right into it

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Building up an Allez Sprint Frameset [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Why would you change it out? I was able to fit my Sram red BB30 right into it"

OP wants to install a Shimano crankset which has a Hollowtech II 24mm axle.
Quote Reply
Re: Building up an Allez Sprint Frameset [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AH, I though hollowtech was something related to the crank arms. After looking it up that makes a lot more sense now.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve built up several without really knowing what I was doing.

A magnet makes running cable a breeze.

YouTube is your friend.

Random things will seem impossible for no good reason. Sometimes random parts just don’t play well together, google the issue you won’t be the first to have had it.

It’ll be a pain, budget a bit more than you think for random single-use tools. But it’s totally worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Building up an Allez Sprint Frameset [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally got my frameset. I was able to do pretty much everything myself except the BB switch and steerer tube cut (didn’t want to buy the tools). I have a couple of questions regarding the assembly, if you wouldn’t mind sharing some advice:

1) In the box there were two chamfered plastic rings of different size, i has assumed they both are to use between the fork and the top and bottom head tube bearings respectively. Do I need the bigger plastic ring between the bottom bearing in the head tube and the fork? It seems that there is a lot of play in the fork when I use that plastic ring, even after I tighten the top cap bolt (I don't tighten that top cap bolt much more than two-finger tight on any of my bikes in order to not damage the fork—is there even a torque setting for this particular bolt?). In addition to the wiggle/play, when the ring is installed that gap between the fork and the bottom of the head tube seems to be way too big as well. It seems to just not fit. I'm concerned that the plastic ring is required because without it, the carbon fork is directly in contact with the metal bearing, and i'm not sure if that's correct. Although i'm assuming once tightened into place, the bearing moves with the fork so there is technically no rubbing, just contact, right? FYI, at the top of the head tube, I did install the plastic ring between the dust cover and the upper headtube bearing and that seems to fits perfectly.

2) When installing the rear brake cable, I first tried to cut housing to stop at the front entrance in the top tube, but realized that housing end-caps were too wide to fit in these holes, and the diameter of the brake housing itself fit perfectly in the top tube holes. I wound up running one big length of housing from the brake lever to the back caliper--is this correct?
Last edited by: pete459: Jan 22, 20 15:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built up an Allez Sprint frameset last year, which was my first time building a bike. I enjoyed the process and learned a lot in the process. My size 54 weighs 18 lbs, less than my carbon road bike from 2013. I used Ultegra mechanical components, except for a 105 crankset.

On the rear brake cable, I made the same mistake. The brake housing has to run the full length, continuously, from the shifter to the brake. Otherwise the brakes don't work.

On the chamfered rings, I can't remember how I installed those, but a picture would help if you can post one.

You're pretty close to the finish line. I can't tell you how gratifying it is to ride a bike that you assembled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a picture of the plastic rings and post them here. Fork rings are not typically plastic.

1. The bearings are not typically directly in contact with the fork. There is usually a 'crown race' that sits below the bearing (and on top of the fork). if you are experiencing play, then there is something missing in the headset system. Again, post pictures of what you have. It will likely be easy to diagnose this problem (what's missing).

2. Yes, you should be running on continuous length of housing to the brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plastic in a headset isn't normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Building up an Allez Sprint Frameset [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never tried to post pictures on this forum--not sure if this will work. This first picture is of the fork as its installed without that plastic ring installed. The next picture is the fork pulled out slightly to show the bottom bearing and the fork where it bears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please take all.of the headset parts out and take a picture of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the exact frameset I built up as well.

Sorry but I'm no help based on the photos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the picture of the plastic part isn't much help:(. I can tell it's a ring and that there's a lip, but I think it'd be best to take the picture from a few angles.

The picture of the fork suggests that the crown race is built into the fork (not a separate piece).

I'm also wondering if your bearing are installed in the correct orientation, but I can't tell from the pictures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I took it to my LBS today (who is also an authorized specialized dealer), and they said that ring doesn’t go there—that the bottom headset bearing sits right on the crown, as I had it. Instead of a separate piece that sits on the fork crown as some companies do), it’s built in on the Allez Sprint (and a lot of new bikes according to them) by Just being a little beefier section of carbon layup where it gets pressed in against the bottom headset bearing.

Also, the bearings came pre-installed in the frameset, so it wasn’t an issue of being installed incorrectly.

I appreciate the help from everyone in this thread!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good. I'm glad you got that sorted.

So, what is that ring for? The only other thing that I can think of is that it's the bottom part of the dust cover/tapered headset top.

Also, did you figure out why there was so much play?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, That’s what it was, to put underneath the dust cap.

And the play of the fork was only from thinking that ring might go below the bottom bearing, but there is no play when set up correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found this thread super helpful as I'm building one -- right now.

Did you place any anti-seize or grease on the fork crown when installing?
Quote Reply
Re: Building up an Allez Sprint Frameset [maattss91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bit of grease would be appropriate.
Quote Reply