Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Building a Frankenbike
Quote | Reply
I have little to no bike mechanical knowledge and wanted to know more. I decided the best way to do this was by building a road bike from the ground up. I need a new road bike anyways, so i kill 2 birds with one stone. So far I have been sourcing everything from ebay and trying to keep it under $2000. All parts are new and significantly discounted in ebay auctions. I already own a decent set wheels to put on it, so this won't go into the cost.

Any recommendations for add-ons to complete the bike?

Frame:
Cannondale SuperSix EVO

Groupo:
SRAM Force 22

Handlebars:
Zipp SL 70 Aero

Seatpost:
Options are limited on the 25.4mm Cannondale seatpost so I just bought the stock one.
Last edited by: Etexag: Apr 4, 18 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Building a Frankenbike [Etexag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lovely looking frame and great fun completing your first build - you'll learn a lot

Just make sure you get the right BB for your chainset - Cannondale are BB30. You may need to get one installed at your LBS but there are lots of other options to use non-bb30 chainsets.

Obviously you'll need a saddle, pedals etc.

Godo luck
Quote Reply
Re: Building a Frankenbike [Stevie_A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks- Yes luckily the Groupo came with a BB

Although its not the prettiest, I think I will be adding the Cobb Max saddle and take my Garmin pedals from my Tribike
Last edited by: Etexag: Apr 4, 18 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't have wheels yet it might be a good idea to look at 10-speed wheels. The new shimano 105 just launched and their 11s cassette will fit on a 10-speed freehub (at least according to the GCN video I watched). I don't know if wheel dishing would be required but there are a lot of sweet deals on 10-speed wheelsets
Quote Reply
Re: Building a Frankenbike [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jarret_g wrote:
If you don't have wheels yet it might be a good idea to look at 10-speed wheels. The new shimano 105 just launched and their 11s cassette will fit on a 10-speed freehub (at least according to the GCN video I watched). I don't know if wheel dishing would be required but there are a lot of sweet deals on 10-speed wheelsets

It also exists on the Ultegra R8000 cassettes but is a little know fact. But, what you don't seem to realize (since you never mentioned it) is it is for cassettes with 34 for the big cog. or 11-34+. Something about how the cassette dish works and any smaller than 34 teeth still needs a spacer...or the cassette or that biggest sprocket is going into the spokes for 10 speed wheels. I saw a conversation on it over on paceline last month but didn't read into it too closely (so I'm not 100% sure on all the details but do know it is for the climbing cassettes or ones intended for CX bikes it seems to me).

So you'd need to run a long or medium cage derailleur most likely to do that.

Also congrats to the OP on the "frankenbike". I built up my first bike using a Supersix Evo frame a couple of years ago and still riding this bike too. Sourced most of the parts on eBay (including the frame) and the classifieds here (except the bar tape, pedals and cassette), reused my existing saddle and wheelset but had to change out the tires (my Evo can't run 25mm Continental tires paired with HED C2 rims...it rubs the chainstay).
Quote Reply
Re: Building a Frankenbike [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jarret_g wrote:

Only the 11-34.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's gonna look sweet, the frame is tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not a FrankenBike ... THIS is a FrankenBike

Or

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Building a Frankenbike [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like I have some more searching to do..... Where do I get a long stem and forks like that? Think they will be aero?

I am looking to add a little color (besides just bar tape). Any ideas for some bold, but small accents? Stem covers are the obvious where else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etexag wrote:
I am looking to add a little color (besides just bar tape). Any ideas for some bold, but small accents? Stem covers are the obvious where else?
Plenty of options for adding a dash of colour. Don't do them all, but maybe one or two:

valve caps
cable end caps
steerer tube spacers
stem cap
bottle cages
tyres
bar tape
cable outers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etexag wrote:
Looks like I have some more searching to do..... Where do I get a long stem like that?

Home Depot, if I remember correctly

If you want something more compact ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply