Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Building Felt IA... Which aero bar
Quote | Reply
Hello!

I am building a felt IA 10 and picking between the full profile design Area ultimate with the hydration and stem, or the TriRig Alpha X with the tilt kit. Both systems, are going to come out to be the same price, so it really is a matter if which we think will be faster, or better for whatever reason. GO!

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Building Felt IA... Which aero bar [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morf

http://www.morf-tech.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for the Alpha X. I have that on my IA.

I do not think that I have ever seen side-by-side data comparing the Alpha X to the Aria. The Alpha X is much loved on this forum by aero experts and fitters, so there is that. I love mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:
Hello!

I am building a felt IA 10 and picking between the full profile design Area ultimate with the hydration and stem, or the TriRig Alpha X with the tilt kit. Both systems, are going to come out to be the same price, so it really is a matter if which we think will be faster, or better for whatever reason. GO!

I ride an IA10 with the Aeria stem and hydration system. I use the Enve SES TT cockpit however I swapped the aero bars for T4's. I've ridden without the hydration system and a bottle between the bars instead, just to try it out, felt faster and more efficient with the aeria. Depending your drop in the front and the front brake you use, you may want to take some measurements to make sure the aeria will fit.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Aug 14, 18 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: Building Felt IA... Which aero bar [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't see the pictures, but are you saying it felt better using a standard BTA Vs the aria bottle?

- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
.....felt faster and more efficient with the aeria..........
I presume you're not claiming you can differentiate the drag of different bars by feel?
Quote Reply
Re: Building Felt IA... Which aero bar [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
jsmith82 wrote:

I presume you're not claiming you can differentiate the drag of different bars by feel?

I reread my post. Doesn't look like I said that. But I did say I felt faster and more efficient with the aeria. Good thing I stated it was a feeling, and didn't state it was a fact eh?

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:
I couldn't see the pictures, but are you saying it felt better using a standard BTA Vs the aria bottle?

I preferred the aeria over a regular bottle zip tied in and over the xlab torpedo on my current setup. No data to back that up, just opinion, tried 3, liked the 1 more than the other 2. I fumble more with a regular bottle and the xlab didn't sit well between my arms because they are so close together. The aeria sits just under my aerobars so it doesn't alter my position or touch my forearms, and for a drink I just pop the straw up. 9 of 10 times I release and it falls down and magnet snaps itself right back in place.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
jsmith82 wrote:

I reread my post. Doesn't look like I said that. But I did say I felt faster and more efficient with the aeria. Good thing I stated it was a feeling, and didn't state it was a fact eh?
You said it felt faster and more efficient with the aeria as you've just restated. I don't understand how either of those are something it's useful or credible to claim you "felt" as the result of a bar change. I assumed you meant something else so I pointed out what I thought might be an error.
Seriously, it's disingenuous to suggest you're feelings of speed and efficiency with a bar are relevant to anyone considering buying one without an explanation as to what you mean by that.
Quote Reply
Re: Building Felt IA... Which aero bar [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
jsmith82 wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
jsmith82 wrote:

You said it felt faster and more efficient with the aeria as you've just restated. I don't understand how either of those are something it's useful or credible to claim you "felt" as the result of a bar change. I assumed you meant something else so I pointed out what I thought might be an error.
Seriously, it's disingenuous to suggest you're feelings of speed and efficiency with a bar are relevant to anyone considering buying one without an explanation as to what you mean by that.

I appreciate you spelling it out this time in oppose to asking me if I have the super power of differentiating drag by feel - it's a much kinder reply. I replied again with the 3 options I tried, and why for me the Aeria was what I picked. It's above your post.

Considering the OP posted "which we think will be faster, or better for whatever reason" I gave my opinion of "whatever reason". I ride the same bike, I got rid of the stock, and built a similar front end setup. My apologies for the missing wind tunnel data, but I thought he may like to hear my thoughts regardless with the similarities in setup.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that! I was wondering how well the bottle was working and it seems pretty good! Its gonna be a tough choice. How does the cable run through the system, and how hard is it to take off and wash? I am gonna have a TriRig break on the front with the center pull. Also. What size was yours?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:
Thank you for that! I was wondering how well the bottle was working and it seems pretty good! Its gonna be a tough choice. How does the cable run through the system, and how hard is it to take off and wash? I am gonna have a TriRig break on the front with the center pull. Also. What size was yours?

I'm using Felt's stock IA brake so my cable runs up the right side of the front end and doesn't tuck behind. The TriRig should run smoothly up and through. The 2 things I would check, to get the aeria off the bike you have to be able to get a finger in behind the rubber side panels to push a little plastic clip upwards, it's centered on the rig as the hydration piece bolts and clips on directly to the bottom of the stem. Reaching that with a brake cable in there as well might be tough, though doable I'm sure. The other thing is depending how far down the hydration system drops towards your brake and front tire, you may have clearance issues with the top of the brake and the bottom of the bottle.

Though not an IA, Potts first bike with Ceepo used the Aeria with a TriRig front brake successfully. There are some great pictures at the following link, and the cover demonstrates the clearance issue I'm flagging:

https://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2018_05_Andy_Potts_Ceepo_Viper_R

Cleaning is pretty easy. On the nose of the bottle is a single screw, it's what holds on whatever attachment you prefer for your computer if that's how you choose to mount it. With that screw in, the top won't come off. Take that screw out, the top pops right off, the splash guards come out and you have a 2 inch hole to get in there with a brush and scrub.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Aug 14, 18 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the MORF bar. I have two in my possession and have been meaning to do a write-up. It's a game changer of a bar and it will work with any 31.8mm stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Building Felt IA... Which aero bar [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do quite like that bar, but am in the 700 dollar range....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am right thinking the original stock stem is 90mm? Did you go with the 70mm or 100mm Aeria?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Building Felt IA... Which aero bar [DVM_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DVM_Tri wrote:
I am right thinking the original stock stem is 90mm? Did you go with the 70mm or 100mm Aeria?

Thanks

100. I needed the reach. Here's the front end without the hydration vessel attached. The black piece below the stem on the steer tube is a 3d printed part (I get a lot of questions on it when it's actually visible). We needed the tube length for me to be where I'm at on this particular frame with this cockpit, my mechanic had the part printed so it would flush the exposed tube to the frame. Goal is to continue working downwards by dropping the pads and once I can make up for the stem drop via the risers of the cockpit, we'll cut it and drop it.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply