Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
Is the host hotel ok? Or is there a better choice?
It used to be a dump but it changed last year, and check-in and awards were moved to a convention center. There are quite a few decent hotels around there, all reasonably priced. You'll be about 20-25 minutes from the race site, which is east of town at the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
I grew up in Lubbock, started college at Tech and then transferred to UT Austin. Both are fun towns.....

So you left town as soon as you had a chance...

OK, so you're too cool for Lubbock, don't go there then. I happen to like the place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
Thanks, excellent advice.

thanks
Nancy

Any hotel in Lubbock will work. You have to drive out to the race no matter where you stay and it's not very far from any of the hotels in town.

The race won't sell out. The website says it always sells out and the email updates will make it sound like they are getting close to capacity, but in reality they get 700-800 people and could probably handle twice that if they had to (I think they did have 2X that many in the past when they had Kona slots).
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to you and T3_beer for you helpful replies. It's appreciated.
See you in June.

Nancy
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [ITRIhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ITRIhard wrote:
thinking of doing both of these in 2018. Are these good choices in your opinion?

I'm a cyclist and live right near the Ohio course. I ride many of the same roads. As others have mentioned, relatively flat- most rides are around 2500-3500 ft per 100 miles.

Not sure exactly where it starts, but there are plenty of hotels and plenty of things to do in Columbus, roughly 30-45 minutes south.

Weather that time of year can be a chilly morning with a high anywhere between 75 and 95.

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
Thanks, excellent advice.

thanks
Nancy
I raced last year and stayed at the holiday inn express (6506 I-27, Lubbock, TX 79412) and thought it was a nice hotel and a decent location. close enough to the highway to make a short drive race morning and close enough to some bars and restaurants

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perfect!! exactly what I needed to know, thanks.
Nancy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading all of the posts, concerning Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 we are very thankful to those who have done the event(some more than once, and thank you again) and expressed very positive kind words. 2018 will be the 29th year since the event started as an Olympic distance race and 24th year as a licensed race of WTC and now Ironman. The course itself is located in the Yellowhouse Canyons sitting on the Llano Estacado plains and offers just about every challenge you could ask for. Since I am the guy who had a vision that this lake, and surrounding canyons would make a perfect triathlon venue. Turns out it did and every year it offers a different but fair challenge for the athletes. It is always our goal to offer new and different ideas and to listen to the athletes on what they want and enjoy. The Buffalo awards were mentioned as neat and cool, and we agree. We have to go to El Paso to get those custom made little animals. Legendary Bill Bell, now in his nineties, always loves to brag about his herd of Buffalo Springs Lake buffalo awards. We also like to show pride in our town(population 250,000 with the most less crowded freeways in the Southwest and an abundance of new hotels)! While the event has always been at Buffalo Springs Lake and the surrounding canyons, it has had some modifications with the idea of making it better for the athlete in safety and challenge. There was a time early on that the bike course had an 11 mile loop done two times within the 56 mile course. This only lasted one year and then was changed to the current course. One of the most recent changes was the 13.1 mile run course with the infamous energy Lab Road II segment being replaced with an inside the park two loop course with one steep hill done twice. Many diehards have said bring it back, but for now we will stick with the double loop course that the volunteers and spectators love. Maybe an every 5 years offering of energy Lake Road II would be a possibility.

Again, many thanks from Marti and I for all the positive feed back and trust me, if some negative statement pops up we work very hard on turning that to a positive. Also, we return calls to answer questions, so please feel free to give us a buzz and we will return the call asap.

Mike Greer
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [fasttwitchmind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, thanks for the work you do to make this event happen every year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys do a great job with this race. I really appreciate how grass roots/local it feels even though it's an IM branded event. Can't say I could find a single thing to complain about, other than my performance which is certainly not your fault!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Nov 16, 17 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
They do give out the little buffaloes every year for the podium finishers. Those are by far my favorite awards (the only one's that I don't throw in a box in the closet).

kind of like the eagles from Eagleman

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike,

While I dread the long drive from Austin each June, I love the race and how great of a job you and Marti do. As long as I am in TX, I will aim to make that drive!

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike G is the man. A hardened west Texan and a true asset to Lubbock and triathlon. I went to Tech and have met Mike on a few occasions. Hands down it's my favorite 70.3 as the course is difficult but fair. If you show up ready to rock and roll you can have a great race. If you show up unprepared? Prepare to be humbled. Triathlon isn't suppository be easy, and BSLT doesn't disappoint.

I've yet to get one of those damn buffalo, but I will someday. I try to get out to this race every year as it's a fantastic mid-season test and I hope we have 29 more years of the race.

One thing that I love is they have sprint/Oly options on the Saturday before for a nice trip festival feel. Finally talked my wife into giving the Oly a go this year.

Keep it up Mike and Marti!
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So now I'm super obsessed with this trophy!!! Hopefully I'll do well enough this year to get my own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"One of the most recent changes was the 13.1 mile run course with the infamous energy Lab Road II segment being replaced with an inside the park two loop course with one steep hill done twice. Many diehards have said bring it back, but for now we will stick with the double loop course that the volunteers and spectators love. Maybe an every 5 years offering of energy Lake Road II would be a possibility."

2019? Perfect year for a return to the "best run course outside of Kona." I'll be lookin' for Buffalo ;-)
Last edited by: Wild Horse: Nov 20, 17 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [Wild Horse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks again to all who have supported BSLT in the past, and for the continued support, without you we would not be able to continue on! Our goal has always been to utilize the natural venue to the utmost, and make sure that the athlete has no support worries on the course, so they can spend their time just racing.

See you in June on the Llano Estacado!

Mike Greer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The double loop has some nice breeze off the lake, and plenty of rollers. We all like it just fine ;-) Thanks for all you do, Mike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of the Texas 70.3 lineup I've raced Galveston, Austin (x2), Kerrville, and Buffalo Springs (x2). Buffalo Springs is far and away my favorite race every year. Thanks for all you do Mike! Add me to the list of those who would love to take a shot at the "Texas Energy Lab" run course!
Last edited by: gd28: Nov 21, 17 8:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I missed the boat on BSLT (but am now intrigued to race it in future years!), I am registered for Ohio 70.3. I don't know much about it - signed up to visit a good friend who lives nearby - except that I presume it's much different than the courses I've raced out west...

It looks like swim was non-wetsuit last two years...is that correct? And maybe measured a tad long? Any insights into water temps would be great! Not scared of non-wetsuit but want to do final practice swims in appropriate gear and pack the right stuff!

Any heads up on run or bike would also be helpful!
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Agree, I enjoyed it the year I did it. Plus they had the most awesome little buffalo trophy’s for Ag awards. I really want one of those things now. Do they have those every year?

Got 'em!!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [milkmaid1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkmaid1982 wrote:
While I missed the boat on BSLT (but am now intrigued to race it in future years!), I am registered for Ohio 70.3. I don't know much about it - signed up to visit a good friend who lives nearby - except that I presume it's much different than the courses I've raced out west...

It looks like swim was non-wetsuit last two years...is that correct? And maybe measured a tad long? Any insights into water temps would be great! Not scared of non-wetsuit but want to do final practice swims in appropriate gear and pack the right stuff!

Any heads up on run or bike would also be helpful!

Wetsuit legal last year, but it was definitely around 120 meters long if swam perfectly along the buoy line - the last few years the course was a triangle with buoys on the left and a wave start - this year it is supposed to be a rolling start going the opposite way with buoys on the right to avoid swimming directly into the sun (they were supposed to change that last year too, though). Bike course is simple north, short turn east, then south - not the greatest of road conditions, but it's pretty flat. Run is two loops and rolling with an overall gradual incline that has a pretty steep decent each loop.

EDIT: It was definitely a wait and see deal until race morning for wetsuits. It hovered right around legal all week and I think it was 75.9.
Last edited by: pvolb: Jul 5, 18 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the IV tent. The 103F heat busted me up on the run. I wish all 70.3 & 140.6 races allowed you to forego the t-shirt/hat for an IV at the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fasttwitchmind wrote:
Many thanks again to all who have supported BSLT in the past, and for the continued support, without you we would not be able to continue on! Our goal has always been to utilize the natural venue to the utmost, and make sure that the athlete has no support worries on the course, so they can spend their time just racing.

See you in June on the Llano Estacado!

This year was my first time to do BSLT. My first HIM, in fact, and I was woefully under-trained, but since it was just up the road, we couldn't pass on doing it. There was lots of self inflicted suffering on the course, but it very much sticks out in my mind that the support was amazing. Especially during the run, those manning the aid stations were awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Buffalo springs & Ohio 70.3 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
Lubbock isn't that bad...

Oh yeah? Try living there for 3 years in your early 20's after having spent the previous 5 years in Austin.

Admittedly, it's been 20+ years since I've spent any significant time there. In fact, the only reason I've been back was for Buffalo Springs. I did drive through last month though on my way to a 50k in Palo Duro Canyon.

If you haven't been there much in the last 20 years, it would be well worth another trip through. I don't think you will recognize anything north or east of campus. The crime-ridden North Overton neighborhood is gone and a lot of shops and housing have taken its place. The city has also expanded far to the south. When I graduated, felt like 96th street was getting near the south edge of town. Now it's well within the city bounds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next