Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia
Quote | Reply
Big Coup for Ironman WA
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [RobertK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a base for a long winter training camp with a race at the end :)

I will take my comment back I thought the race was in early Jan/Feb!
Last edited by: newManUK: Nov 13, 19 4:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the local news release, massive coup for IMWA!!

HUGE NEWS šŸ“°
We're delighted to let you know that Olympic Superstar @alistair.brownlee is ready to test himself in the west at IRONMAN in Western Australia on Sunday 1 December this year as part of his quest to get early qualification for the IRONMAN World Championship in 2020!! šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘
Alistair is trying to keep his racing options open, in what is shaping up to be a very important, exciting and possibly very historic 2020. The Olympic Gold medal/IRONMAN World Championship double has never been achieved in one calendar year but with the Tokyo Olympic triathlon in late July 2020 and the IRONMAN World Championship on 10 October, it is not only logistically possible but feasible for a man of Alistairā€™s rare ability.
ā€œSome people say the only way to learn how to race IRONMAN, is to race IRONMAN. I think that could be true. So, despite being later in the year I am heading to IRONMAN Western Australia. I still have aspirations to race the Olympics and if I race in Tokyo, it will definitely be my last Olympics. But I also want to qualify for Kona next year and I hope to be able to do it in Busselton,ā€ he said.
Alistair made his half-distance debut in April 2017 and he was competitive immediately, winning the North American IRONMAN 70.3 Champs in Utah and picking up silver medals at the 2018 and 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championships. We can't wait to see how he goes in Busselton!
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a stacked start list for sure. The most interesting name on there is Appo making his IM debut.

https://m.ap.ironman.com/...o%20start%20list.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terenzo has gone 07:51:25 - On a favourable day with Ali going balls out and not overcooking on the run we could see a spectacular time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably ali's smartest play - get the KQ out of the way absolutely as early as possible, and then come january 1 make some big decisions about the year ahead.
i'd say the biggest danger would just be getting hurt at the race and endangering the winter training.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont understand the guy. Tokyo? He will have to focus 100% in ITU, otherwise 0 chance to be competitive...Just see Gomez, one year in IM distance, then this year back, and still far from his previous level (the age pays the toll too). AB is 31...but no miracles for anyone going back to ITU.
I think he is making a mistake.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With mixed relays part of the Olympics there is a very good chance he could get a GB team medal. Whilst the GB female team is stacked the
Menā€™s isnā€™t so he has a good chance of making it. There is always an outside chance of a solo medal too. I think Kona 2020 could be another learning year if he qualifies, before all out for 2021?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember reading here on ST that they cancel the swim a lot at this race?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Yeah lots of sharks in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

The swim at Ironman WA was cancelled once and the swim at the Ironman 70.3 in May was also cancelled once for sharks.

The Ironman WA swim used to go around a 1.9km jetty. The swim course has been changed so that you are now a maximum of 300m from shore. Sharks are less likely to be closer to the shore and it makes getting the athletes out of the water faster if a shark is spotted.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim has been canceled about 4 times in the last 8 races run in that town. 70.3 or IM

Brownless likes the no swim events. Cork and good prospects Busselton

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 times total, They've had a bad run but hopefully there's no more hiccups from here.

2017 Busselton 70.3 in May was the shark that affected the last waves and team swimmers
2017 Ironman WA in December swim was cancelled due to shark sighting during the 70.3 swim (which starts before the Ironman swim). No atlhete completed the swim course.
2018 Busselton 70.3 in May swim cancelled due to a freak storm, 60km/h winds gusting to 80km/h, swell over 4m. Day before and after race were complete glass offs.
2018 Ironman WA in December, overcast swim, almost a glass off. Shark sighted a couple of hours after the swim had finished.
2019 Busselton 70.3 in May swim delayed due to storms again. Winds were 40-50km/h swell wasn't as bad. No way they could see a shark in the conditions, you could barely see your own hands under water.

How do I know? I was racing three of those events and spectating one other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Brownless likes the no swim events.

Really? Ali has said on a few podcasts that he would have preferred a swim at Cork: https://simonward.podbean.com/...d-alistair-brownlee/ Go to 12 minutes in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's one of the best swimmers in the sport. Why would he like no-swim events?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
The swim has been canceled about 4 times in the last 8 races run in that town. 70.3 or IM

Most slowtwitch forum users are knowledgeable. One or two, like PJC, are clueless.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that it's AB's to lose; but there are some names there that could snatch a win if he has a bad day.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Yeah lots of sharks in the area.

I was in that part of the world a few years back, and there were 6 shark sightings in 8 days. Didn't get in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They changed the swim to be close to shore last year.

Itā€™s a great fast race and course.

It was a thrill when cam wurf passed me like I wasnā€™t moving on the bike. His disc whomp whomp plus a sound like a jet engine

Im doing it next year not this year so will miss Ali which is a bummer......
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
PJC wrote:

Most slowtwitch forum users are knowledgeable. One or two, like PJC, are clueless.

Given that I know who PJC is I would suggest that you are the one who needs a little education and no it is not up to me to reveal who he is and his background in the sport as it has been his choice to remain a cranky old man of mystery.

Slowman might throw some light on the subject though.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Joss1965 wrote:
PJC wrote:

Given that I know who PJC is I would suggest that you are the one who needs a little education and no it is not up to me to reveal who he is and his background in the sport as it has been his choice to remain a cranky old man of mystery.

Well if PJC is so educated why on earth is he making a comment like that? Casting aspersions on one of the worlds greatest ever triathletes. If he was ā€˜jokingā€™ then Iā€™m sure he wonā€™t take offence. If you dish out you should be prepared to take it back.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I dont understand the guy. Tokyo? He will have to focus 100% in ITU, otherwise 0 chance to be competitive...Just see Gomez, one year in IM distance, then this year back, and still far from his previous level (the age pays the toll too). AB is 31...but no miracles for anyone going back to ITU. I think he is making a mistake.

Three Ironman races in 2019 already makes him a non-contender for Tokyo. Sure, the UK selectors will pick him if he wants to go to Tokyo, but I think it's pretty clear that he has chosen his path and it's not ITU.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Joss1965 wrote:
PJC wrote:

Well if PJC is so educated why on earth is he making a comment like that? Casting aspersions on one of the worlds greatest ever triathletes. If he was ā€˜jokingā€™ then Iā€™m sure he wonā€™t take offence. If you dish out you should be prepared to take it back.

I am sure that he can take any blowback that anyone on this forum can throw at him.He is just a cranky old bastard (sorry PJC) who has been around the sport for so long (most of which was at the elite level) that he has become jaded and likes to voice his opinion like one of the two old fuckers sitting in the balcony on the Muppet Show.If you frame his comments like that you will see through the old school Aussie bluntness and realise that most of the time he is taking the piss out of everything just for the hell of it.Some of his comments are really very insightful.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee for Ironman Western Australia [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...as I said before...if you want to make yourself an authority on something...better to stand and deliver and not be anonymous.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Well...as I said before...if you want to make yourself an authority on something...better to stand and deliver and not be anonymous.

Yep,I agree and I mentioned to Slowman before that PJC has a hell of a lot to offer this forum.He has his reasons for anonymity though so it is our loss.

I'm pretty easy to work out as a lot of folks here already know who I am and Dev uses my name all the time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next