Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost
Quote | Reply
I've been running in Brooks Glycerin's for about 4 years and really like them. I've tried a few other shoes over the years and keep going back to the Glycerin. I'm a bigger guy (6' 190#) and not fast. The Glycerin has been a good shoes for my plodding along.

I've run in the Glycerin 10, 11, and 12 currently. I have supinate very badly and shred the outside of my shoes (to the point that I add shoe goo to the outer edge of the sole to slow down the wear).

I've gotten used to getting fewer miles out of my shoes than most people probably do. I have been buying Glycerin's (prior model year) on discount for several years so they cost about half as much as a new pair). This is getting harder to do and I'm looking for some alternatives.

The Ghost appears to be the next shoe "down" on the Brooks line. It is a little less cushioned but a very popular neutral. I'm wondering if this may be a good option/alternative, given the way I'm tearing through shoes. I've never run in Ghost's but wouldn't mind giving them a try. Curious about other's experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started this adventure of distance racing a little over a year ago. I am also of a large build. While I've lost a lot of weight I'm still heavy compared to the skinny folks on here.
I started my running career on ghosts shoes because they were cheaper and I'm a cheapass. I bought a ton of ghost shoes on sale like yourself. My buddy who is much better at this distance racing suggested the glycerins the whole time. I finally found a deal on some glycerins and will never go back to running daily in the ghosts shoes. The extra padding is worth it to me! My body feels rediclously better day to day. Even if I have to pay full price for them I will continue to buy. Some things I've realized you can't be cheap with. My list includes condoms and shoes now!

I replace my shoes about every 300 miles because of my weight. They then get worn to work, then become grass cutting shoes. As the months go by the rotation continues.
I have a few pairs of ghosts left (that I got on sale) that only get worn for plodding along with the wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too spent years in Glycerins. However, I have a neutral gait, and didn't wear my shoes down in the same way. Are Glycerins really the best shoe for you? How did you come to wearing them? Seems like an issue to sort out with your running store (if they're half decent).
FWIW, I switched to Saucony Cohesions. Ghost was a consideration, but found I liked the Cohesions a bit more. And a big YMMV disclaimer.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add, I ran my first HIM in ghosts, and just did my first open marathon in a pair of brooks launch. While I wasn't unhappy with their performance, I would NOT wear as a training shoe. I do intend to wear the launches for races, however. They are just a little bit lighter then the glycerins.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
I too spent years in Glycerins. However, I have a neutral gait, and didn't wear my shoes down in the same way. Are Glycerins really the best shoe for you? How did you come to wearing them? Seems like an issue to sort out with your running store (if they're half decent).
FWIW, I switched to Saucony Cohesions. Ghost was a consideration, but found I liked the Cohesions a bit more. And a big YMMV disclaimer.

I came on to the Glycerins after visiting my LRS and doing the treadmill/gait analysis. At the time, I then took test runs in the Glycerins and a couple others I can't remember now (Saucony, Asic, Mizuno, maybe 1-2 others). Since the Glycern's works for me, I stuck with them.

Over the past few years, I ran in a pair of K-Swiss, Hokas and New Balance. Each of them were ok, but not the level of comfort that I had with the Glycerin. I am sure that Saucony, Asic and Mizuno all have "direct competitors" to the Glycerin, and I likely tested them years ago, but not recently.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [bariiings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious on how you would compare the Launch to the glycerin. I literally just ordered the launch yesterday and was planing on using it for my marathon run and training. I am 6'3 at 175ish and was worried about the daily use
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I daily train in the glycerins, I only race in the launch. They are not as supportive by any means as the glycerins but they are lighter and I was NOT entirerly destroyed after the first marathon. I'm 6 foot 3, and 195 currently.
Last edited by: bariiings: May 18, 16 9:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of Ghosts and was not happy with them at all. They are very heavy and have very little cushion, not a good mix in my opinion. They came highly recommended though and I know a few people who really like them.

I rotate three pairs of shoes currently and I'm a bigger guy as well, 6'4" 190. I use a Asics Nimbus as a mid weight but cushioned shoe, a Brooks Launch for a lighter weight mid cushion shoe and well as the Brooks Pureflow, also a lighter weight mid cushion shoe. I typically race in the Pureflow. I would buy another pair of the Nimbus and older model Pureflows for sure, the Launch are okay.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore Ghosts up until I started going longer than 13.1 then switched to Glycerins. Have yet to go back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for me, its all about a matter of taste! First I've been running in Brooks Ghost 10 for about a year. Than I've tried Brooks Glycerin 15. What I'd like to say is that they both are equally great! But of course there are some pros and cons. Here http://thecrossfitshoes.com/brooks-ghost-10-vs-glycerin-15/ you can find out all the differences and similarities between these two models. What I like most:
Brooks Ghost 10 - Two-layered BioMoGo DNA midsole (really comfortable)
Brooks Glycerin 15 - weight (I like heavier models).
But, in general, it's all up to you!! Good luck!
Max
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [madmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the launches as my nearly every day shoe. I buy them on sale for $65 a pair and keep a few pairs in reserve. They really lack structure and at first seemed really cheap feeling but I have come to like them. They have a sweet spot where they feel great, it took a while to find but if you are good with staying on your forefoot they are awesome. They also are great for bare feet if you dont wear socks.
Last edited by: endosch2: Aug 2, 18 6:16
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on what a few others have said about the Launch shoes. Solid every day type shoe and the price is great. For a bit more of cushioned ride try the Levitate. I use those for my long slow stuff and love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may be beating a dead horse now, but I love both. I use Glycerin for everyday running -- easier stuff and long runs -- and Launch for speedwork and races. I'm 5'10, 152, and could probably get away with using Launch exclusively. In fact, I felt fine after using them for my IM marathon. But between lots of relatively fatigued running and being pretty new to it all, I love the huge amount of padding Glycerin affords.

I also used Ghost and found them to be a decent midpoint between the two. I did enjoy them quite a bit, but not as much as either of the others.
Last edited by: first_doom: Aug 2, 18 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had any (or many) run injuries in the Glycerin? My first advice is that if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.
Having said that, if you have a few years of running in, you may be able to get away with less of a shoe. You may want to alternate between the Ghost and Glycerin on different days.
I am a bit surprised that if you supinate that much, your local shop didn’t try a less cushioned, more controlling shoe, but that cushion always feels great and the extra cost is great for your store.
BUT they are working for you, stay with them.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It never hurts to try other brands when they update. You never know when a shoe will move into your comfort zone or conversely move out of it.
2 examples.
1. Asics has been going narrower on their toebox in many shoes for years. After enough complaints they've started adding some room back in a few models. If the narrow toebox was an issue it may no longer be.
2. Hoka's used to be the undisputed leader in cushioning under your foot. But now you can get shoes from at least 3 brands that have the same number of mm's of cushioning, if not more cushioning, under your foot without looking like you're running in platform shoes. If you were going for max cushioning now other brands have tied or surpassed Hoka in several models of shoes.

The Glycerin is going to be more cushy than the Ghost, the ghost will have a wider toebox if that is a concern.

The Glycerin 16 has DNA Loft under the entire foot which is softer than the BioMoGo Dna cushioning that the Ghost uses on the midfoot forward. For the Ghost 11, which IMO is an improvement over the Ghost 10, Brooks added DNA Loft to the landing area of the shoe. DNA Loft is softer than the BioMGo DNA. I think the uppers in the Ghost 11 are an improvement over the Ghost 10 fwiw. Basically Ghost 11 > Ghost 10 > Ghost 9.

The Glycerin 16 uses DNA Loft where the 15 used Super DNA. DNA Loft provides a softer and as or more responsive ride as the 15. The 16 just feels better from landing to toe off vs the 15 imo, of course ymmv. It may be a touch wider through the toebox vs the 15 but not Ghost 9,10,11 wide.

Hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 2, 18 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good info on the possibility of Asics expanding their toe box. Used to run with the Nimbus for years until toes started running out of room. Happy with the Glycerin now but will maybe try on a pair of Asics when its time for the next pair...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loosegroove wrote:
Just curious on how you would compare the Launch to the glycerin. I literally just ordered the launch yesterday and was planing on using it for my marathon run and training. I am 6'3 at 175ish and was worried about the daily use

Brooks Launch and Addidas Ultraboost are my favorite shoes.
Launch I use for tempos and mid distance runs and some speed work. I also use them in HIM runs. They don’t last as long as glycerins but at half the price, you don’t need them too. Glycerin 12’s was the last great glycerin. It’s been meh since then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my 2 cents:
I've been using Brooks glycerins for the past 4 years. I always buy the previous year's model. I get roughly 600-800 miles out of them. (Which is too many, but I'm too cheap to buy new ones that often) I know that the shoe is marketed for the heavier, less competitive crowd, but I love them anyway. I'm 5'10", 150lb and a fast runner. (16:20's 5k, 56:14 10 mile) If it works for you I would say to stick with them. I don't think that the shoe is really holding you back at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, do you also race in the Glycerin? Or do you have a race day shoe? thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Just curious, do you also race in the Glycerin? Or do you have a race day shoe? thanks

I do runnng races in the glycerines. For multi sport stuff I wear these Peirce Footwear multi sport specific shoes that I don’t think they make anymore. I only wear them because they come on and off extremely easily. They have a similar toe-heel drop to the glycerins.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Glycerin versus Brooks Ghost [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think of the Glycerin 16s? My problem with the 15 was the toe box being just a hair tight. I’d prefer to not buy the wide version as I have a narrow heal and wide fore foot

jmjtri wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

I do runnng races in the glycerines. For multi sport stuff I wear these Peirce Footwear multi sport specific shoes that I don’t think they make anymore. I only wear them because they come on and off extremely easily. They have a similar toe-heel drop to the glycerins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m the wrong guy to ask. I always though that they all fit the same. I don’t think I’ve owned a pair of the 16’s though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
What do you think of the Glycerin 16s? My problem with the 15 was the toe box being just a hair tight. I’d prefer to not buy the wide version as I have a narrow heal and wide fore foot

jmjtri wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Toe box shrunk a few versions back. Has not increased since. I really wish it would.
Quote Reply