Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Broken Trek frame
Quote | Reply
I have a 2018 Trek speed concept, purchased in April 2019. The other day, the rear drop out broke off while using a wahoo kickr. My bike shop is submitting it for a warranty claim but they are not very optimistic that it will be covered. Has anyone had a similar experience that could provide info on your dealings with Trek. Trek’s warranty info isn’t clear, with respect to trainers. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [bean03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup same thing happened to me but I got the bike used so no warranty. However now trek is honoring second owners in the warranty processes for up to 3 years from initial purchase date. Trek has a person on Slowtwitch looking through post now and again. I'd look for their contact person on here, you never know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a trek fork steerer break while riding. Shop said trek wouldn’t fix it and I was one my own. I messaged Carl that used to be on here, sent him photos, and he helped escalate the issue. Trek replaced my fork for free with the right color paint and everything.

Even if the shop says no, I would suggest reaching out to the current trek community manager that hangs out here, especially if you believe that the break was not your fault and shouldn’t have happened
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the feedback. I will certainly reach out and hope for the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like you said, the shop has submitted but is not super optimistic that it will get approved. This isn't them being negative but more speaking from experience. Some manufacturers will not warranty frames that were damaged because of a Kickr because they say its inherently not good for your frame and puts unnecessary lateral stress on the dropouts. Since they've already submitted it, its more or less out of their hands at this point so I'd sit back and see what Trek's warranty department comes back and says, just keep in mind its not your shop's fault if they say no. If that is the case, I'd do what the other's suggested and reach out to the community manager and see if you can bypass the warranty department entirely and go straight through him. Might be your best option. Good luck!

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do have some parts I'd sell. fork, bars base bar, aero cover for the rear wheel etc. let let me know if you are looking for a used part.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be interested in the base bar if it is the non-uci legal version.

Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea I have the non-uci version can pm with pics if still interested $150 shipped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bunch of experience with trek warranty. It has been mixed. They fully covered a SC that cracked on the fork but only gave me 15% on another SC that cracked on the trainer. I had another that bubbled the paint from trainer sweat but they would not do anything. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I just got word today that they won’t be covering it but offered 30% off a new frame. Tough pill to swallow but it is, what it is, I guess. A new frame will be about 2200 + about 500 to build. Do you think it’s worth following up with trek to plead my case or no? Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of carbon repair places that would be cheaper than a new frame. Might check into that ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess that I don't understand this at all. Does Trek (or other manufacturers) explicitly forbid use on an indoor trainer wrt a warranty claim? If so, I'd avoid that brand! Even if they did (heck the last new bike i purchased was around 1990 (!)) they would not know unless you told them. I was riding the bike and the seat stay failed. That's it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course follow it up with Trek!!! Dummies roll over and accept the first or second offer. Keep calling, writing, emailing and posting about your bad experience in places like this forum until they finally replace it. Make yourself a pain in the ass until somebody does something to solve the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
....and where the hell is the so called Trek community manager - he loiters here when things are great, but then disappears when there is a problem like yours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is one of the dudes at Trek you want to be in touch with. If nothing else we all want to hear from him regarding the Trek position on using their bikes on Indoor trainers.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...y%20manager#p6868026
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I found Mitch and reached out to him in a private message. He gave me the same response that Trek does not cover damage due to trainer usage. I’m still going to follow up with Trek though and try to get clarification on that. Hopefully get a little better deal. Their warranty certainly does not state that trainer use is prohibited, it ambiguous at best. They actually sell trainers on their website.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
I guess that I don't understand this at all. Does Trek (or other manufacturers) explicitly forbid use on an indoor trainer wrt a warranty claim? If so, I'd avoid that brand! Even if they did (heck the last new bike i purchased was around 1990 (!)) they would not know unless you told them. I was riding the bike and the seat stay failed. That's it.

Most brands exclude trainer damage. A few have explicitly changed the rules to allow trainer damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
giorgitd wrote:

Most brands exclude trainer damage. A few have explicitly changed the rules to allow trainer damage.

This is worth a read--
https://zwiftinsider.com/trainer-use-warranty/

My take - I'll never buy another Trek. I'm sure after reading this thread that I'm not alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We don't have a specific policy barring the use of a Trainer provided the proper trainer practices are used such as keeping your bike clean and free of corrosive sweat and hydration products. This is a quote from a Trek employee this week that I have in an email.

This seems to contradict what is being said by other people who represent the Trek brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just back from a second bike shop for another opinion. Their guy said speed concept is the only trek model that has this issue due to the dropouts being too small for the trainer. Does that seem accurate to anyone else? Why wouldn’t trek out that out there if that’s the case?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bean03 wrote:
Just back from a second bike shop for another opinion. Their guy said speed concept is the only trek model that has this issue due to the dropouts being too small for the trainer. Does that seem accurate to anyone else? Why wouldn’t trek out that out there if that’s the case?

What kind of trainer do you use and can you post some pics?

Regarding the dropouts being too small. My guess is that they are referring to the shape of seat stay and chain stay and how they come together. The dropout is recessed from the seat/chain stays so if you are using a wheel on trainer and the cups/clamps of the trainer are too big, I could see how that could cause a problem with the frame.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
bean03 wrote:

What kind of trainer do you use and can you post some pics?

Regarding the dropouts being too small. My guess is that they are referring to the shape of seat stay and chain stay and how they come together.
I would think the problem on the speed concept is the duotrap hitting the trainer, putting pressure on the chain stay. If you remove the duotrap I think there's usually plenty of room.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Trek frame [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was using a Wahoo Kickr. I’ve only had it for about 2 weeks. Not sure if I’m going to keep it, if Speed Concept isn’t compatible with it.

**Having trouble posting pics**
Last edited by: bean03: Dec 7, 19 14:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics
Last edited by: bean03: Dec 7, 19 16:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next