Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brits, Europeans, are 650 wheels/tyres readily available over there?
Quote | Reply
I'm a brit living in Borneo, was in Texas for 4 years when I got into tri's and bought a bike with 650 wheels. Now discovering here that I can't get anything 650 related, it all has to be shipped from the US.

As I'm considering either race wheels or a new frame, I'm debating going 700. As somewhere in europe is probably our next posting I'm wondering whether to change everything now. Last week I hit a rut which dinged the rim and I realised that without a spare wheel, it would take me 6 weeks or so to get a replacement if it broke, whereas with 700's I could at least get a moderate wheel withing a couple of days.

Would just like some information to help make a decision.

Cheers,

J.
Quote Reply
Re: Brits, Europeans, are 650 wheels/tyres readily available over there? [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this is directly on point, but I did IM France recently and counted two bikes - mine included - with 650s. And I was passed by a LOT of bikes.

Just kept praying that I didn't blow a tire!

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Brits, Europeans, are 650 wheels/tyres readily available over there? [oh-so-slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was starting to think that might be the case. I think that might pretty much be the deciding factor for me now, that getting hold of spares etc is just going to be too much hassle.

Thanks for the reply.

Justin.
Quote Reply
Re: Brits, Europeans, are 650 wheels/tyres readily available over there? [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's my understanding, through correspondence but not actual experience, that the 650c wheel size is almost dead in Europe. Hopefully some Brits/Euros will qualify this.
Quote Reply
Re: Brits, Europeans, are 650 wheels/tyres readily available over there? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nearly no one rides 650s in France.
But they were a lot more popular in Germany. Not sure if this is still the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Brits, Europeans, are 650 wheels/tyres readily available over there? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen many German webshops that sells 650c triathlon tires.
Haven't checked if the same shops also sell 650c wheels, but it's very likely they do.

Ican try to find soe links if you are interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago I crashed my bike in Mallorca. This is when I still had a bike with 650c. I blasted both tires and rims as I rode over a brick in the middle of the road during a descent. I could not find a single shop that sold 650c tires or rims and I was willing to pay big bucks for even a junky set of rims. On the continent there are still triathlon shops that sell them but I doubt that most bike stores carry them anymore. I would bring the spares with you just in case.

btw, it was probably a good thing that I didn't get to ride my bike after the crash as I had a pretty nasty road rash on my butt that needed some time off the saddle. Which, brings me to another point - bring all your own medical gear with you, including sutures. Finding an open pharmacy or doctor when you actually need can be tough.
Quote Reply
Re: Brits, Europeans, are 650 wheels/tyres readily available over there? [Twitchslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, don't worry about the links. It's looking pretty difficult to get anything 650 at short notice anywhere except the US. I'm thinking that I would be better making the move to 700's before I invest in anything more expensive such as race wheels. If I were back in Europe and bust a wheel on a pothole or similar, I'd be stuffed unless I always had spares at home.

Looks like I'll have to try and swing a new frame/wheels past The Accountant. She's not too impressed about the cost of my 'hobby' but I think I can use this as justification.

Ooh, new toys!

Thanks,

Justin.
Quote Reply
Re: Brits, Europeans, are 650 wheels/tyres readily available over there? [tritnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that's just the sort of situation that I'm realising I could find myself in. I think i'm going to go 700.

I've travelled all over the world, including some pretty dodgy places and agree that taking a reasonable medical kit it a very good idea, providing you know how to use what you're carrying. However, I'm not sure that carrying sutures is such a good idea, even though I have a sharps kit that I sometimes carry. Reasoning being, if you can't find an open pharmacy or doctor, who's going to suture you? You're generally much better off leaving the wound open, cleaning it and covering it with a dressing than trying to get it sutured anywhere but a hospital, as you're more likely to lock bacteria etc inside.

If you can get medical attention, but you're not happy with the standard of hygeine, then you're own suture kit might be of some use. I have a friend who's a vet who showed me how to do basic suturing, but it would have to be a pretty dire situation for me to attempt that.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have had no difficulty, in Germany, to find this wheel size. You need to have a good LBS which enjoys the benefits of catering to a tri-geek crowd. But they can be found.

But fear not, with E-bay.de and "purchase now" options from a dozen or so on-line bike shops you will not have any problem finding such wheels, tires, or tubes.

One warning - price. You will pay a hefty premium here in Europe for this size. The market demand in the US is higher, thus prices lower.

andy
Quote Reply
Re: Brits, Europeans, are 650 wheels/tyres readily available over there? [ach7167] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made the decision to go 700. Won't be back in Europe for another couple of years, can't use paypal from here, so ebay's a b1tch and shipping is ridiculous and takes forever.

Currently pricing up a titanflex, stay tuned for plenty of threads as I sort that one out. Hey, I'm 40 this year, I think I'll have my midlife crisis now and throw money at it.

J.
Quote Reply