Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breathing while on the bike...
Quote | Reply
I was riding tonight, and after about 20 minutes (hr 137=zone 1) on the trainer, i noticed that my chest felt funny. i was unable to take in what felt like a complete breath. it is not asthma related or anything, i only notice it while i am riding aero on the bike.

What can i do to remedy the situation? I am currently set up at approx. 78 deg seat post. I was going to try moving the seat up slightly (although, the clamp broke...another thread on here...if you can help, plz do), although, i dont want to move it too high and wreck the pedal stroke.

Is there anything that i can do...ie shallow seat angle, etc that might fix the situation?

Thanks,

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Breathing while on the bike... [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is hard to describe in words but you should try to rotate your hips foward and see if that helps. If you bend over to your aerobars without properly roatating your hips foward you are going to reduce the mobility of your diaphargm and make it harder to take a deep breath. The mental picture I have is to maintain the same shape of your entire back (upper and lower) as you rotate down to go into the aero position. The pivot point for this would be the center of the bottom bracket. The steeper position is supposed to facilitate this, however if you bend foward instead of rotating foward you kinds defeat the purpose.. hope thi smakes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Breathing while on the bike... [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if your position looks like Abraham Olano's I'd be able to give you a tip or two on how to breathe better :-)

to test if you have the same position: put a water bottle (sucker open) in your jersey, go on the aerobars...the wet sensation on your neck is the water (do not use, coke, energy drinks etc. for the test...the sticky feeling is not nice). if the bottle itself hits you on the head, that means you have Olano's position and to breathe better, you just need to raise your bars...

other than the above, don't think you give enough details for us to figure what's wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Breathing while on the bike... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when i get the seatpost fixed, ill take a picture and post it on here, maybe that will help.

Thanks for the info sofar..

im still confused to what this rotating the hip thing is/feels like?

Thanks,

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply