Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6
Quote | Reply
Last night the Coeur d'Alene City Council approved a modification to the existing contract with IM, which expires after the 2023 race. Instead of a 70.3, next year's race will now be a full Ironman. This Sunday's event obviously remains as a 70.3. Ironman cited demand for full distance events as the reason for this request. This is all according to this morning's Cd'A Press newspaper. The article also says that the negotiations for the next contract include a plan for alternating between the 70.3 and 140.6 events each year moving forward. So instead of half, half full (3 year cycle) it would be half, full (2 year cycle).

Arguments were made to the Council that a full Ironman event generates significantly more tourism dollars for the local economy.
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Jun 22, 22 8:58
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6 [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great. Now if they went further and made it a Saturday race it would be perfect. Saturday races are so much better, especially for full Ironmans. I have to believe a Saturday race brings in more money to the city as well since people probably still start showing up the Monday before the race and they are more likely to stay in town the Sunday after the race rather than hurrying up to go home to work. One less day of PTO that participants have to take to do the race.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6 [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does that mean presale will open soon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Portland resident, I'm delighted by this. Flying with my bike to my only 140.6 was a layer of stress I wasn't looking to repeat. A 6-hour drive is a treat--I'll be there.

I'm also interested in any pre-sale opportunities if anyone has guidance.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6 [sohcahtoa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Monday!
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6 [Egn85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Looks like Monday!

Meaning pre-sale will be Monday? Does one need to do anything to be able to participate in the pre-sale?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was ready to sign up as I have done this race 3X and just love it. I then went to book the Hampton Inn and see it is $1500 a night!

This is just crazy and Hilton should be ashamed of this
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6 [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a Hilton Honors Diamond member (retired from business) who used to travel a lot. I've stayed at a lot of Hamptons but never at that rate! I just looked into rooms in Bozeman MT and even summer notwithstanding (it's always more during the summer) the room prices were much higher than I have ever seen! I don't know if hotels are trying to make up for lost revenue due to Covid, or what.

There's got to be cheaper places to stay in Cd'A than that. Heck, I'd charge you way less to stay in my basement guest room on Hayden Lake!
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Jun 25, 22 17:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was about 3 years ago that St George and CDA were announced as sites for a rotating Ironman NA Championship. Then on the ‘off’ years they would have a 70.3. There was supposed to be a 3rd race in the series but it never was announced. Then they decided to move the NA championship race title to different races in a move to possible drum up interest in what was otherwise a not interesting place to travel to and race.

I think having a St George and CDA get on a rotation where they alternate full-IM with each other would be a really good setup. People could use the half one year to prepare themselves for the full the next. Or the years where the full is in CDA the 70.3 in St G would be a good ‘warm up’ event since it’s 7-8 weeks before.

Great weather for the racers in CDA out there today - most finished before it hit 80 and a breeze to cool things off. I was watching and a bit jealous thinking back to the miserable 100+ degree heat we had for the full last year.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6 [sohcahtoa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about presales but the Spokane newspaper reported this morning that next year's 140.6 goes on sale on July 4th.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6 [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
It was about 3 years ago that St George and CDA were announced as sites for a rotating Ironman NA Championship. Then on the ‘off’ years they would have a 70.3. There was supposed to be a 3rd race in the series but it never was announced. Then they decided to move the NA championship race title to different races in a move to possible drum up interest in what was otherwise a not interesting place to travel to and race.

I think having a St George and CDA get on a rotation where they alternate full-IM with each other would be a really good setup. People could use the half one year to prepare themselves for the full the next. Or the years where the full is in CDA the 70.3 in St G would be a good ‘warm up’ event since it’s 7-8 weeks before.

Great weather for the racers in CDA out there today - most finished before it hit 80 and a breeze to cool things off. I was watching and a bit jealous thinking back to the miserable 100+ degree heat we had for the full last year.
It was hot last year; '16 & '17 were too. But '15?
YIKES. Must be a 140.6 jinx.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got an email for a "priority registration" for IM CDA that is good until July 3rd.

I must have gotten this as a member of a registered Tri Club or because I was AWA in 2017 (see what I did there!?!?)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6 [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
It was hot last year; '16 & '17 were too. But '15?
YIKES. Must be a 140.6 jinx.

I watched in 2016 then raced in 2017 (both which were held in August). It hit 91 on race day. I ended up walking large chunks of the marathon. After finishing I told my family it was the hardest thing I ever did and would never do another Ironman. When they announced that the full would return in 2021 after a 4 year hiatus I convinced myself to sign up thinking "The full is going back June which is never very hot here. Sure, 2015 was a freak heatwave but the last 5 years I've been here it's never even broken 80 at the end of June."

Needless to say when I finished I told my family that it was the hardest thing I ever did and would never do another Ironman.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I just got an email for a "priority registration" for IM CDA that is good until July 3rd.

I must have gotten this as a member of a registered Tri Club or because I was AWA in 2017 (see what I did there!?!?)

I did see what you did.
I got the same email, and, I'm the lowest dirtball that ever did a triathlon. Ha!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking news: 2023 IM Coeur d'Alene will be 140.6 [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I did it in 2021 and the 105F was enough to convince me that hot weather racing was awful. Then I did StG and it was hot and awful. Just beware that the temps might be really hard, as well as the possibility of smoke from forest fires.
Quote Reply