Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brakes on bike build
Quote | Reply
On my bike build up looking for what brake calipers to get. Just basic regular calipers. What is Compatible with Shimano?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Brakes on bike build [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Brakes on bike build [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Shimano.

I know that... let me rephrase this. What can I do to cut corners, as in a cheaper set of brake calipers. I don’t mind using unbranded or something cheaper since that’s been done on previous bikes and I haven’t had much of an issue. But that was with stand alone brake levers.

Would all Shimano brake levers be compatible with Tiagra 4600 or 10sp 105?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get 105 for like $15. How much cheaper are you trying to get?
Quote Reply
Re: Brakes on bike build [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Where? I've not seen a pair of new calipers for under $75...
Quote Reply
Re: Brakes on bike build [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

Wear?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ebay. I sold two new unused pairs for under 20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
On my bike build up looking for what brake calipers to get. Just basic regular calipers. What is Compatible with Shimano?
Probably Tektro brakes are your best chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All kinds of calipers go cheap on Ebay. I picked up a set of FSA calipers for $5 not long ago that were like new. Also, the lower end Campy stuff seems to go super cheap...Veloce, Centaur, etc. Seems like Campagnolo value only holds when it's Chorus or higher.
Quote Reply
Re: Brakes on bike build [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
All kinds of calipers go cheap on Ebay. I picked up a set of FSA calipers for $5 not long ago that were like new. Also, the lower end Campy stuff seems to go super cheap...Veloce, Centaur, etc. Seems like Campagnolo value only holds when it's Chorus or higher.

It sounds like a stupid question but when it comes to bike builds I’m a bit of a newb. Will basically any dual pivot caliper work or does it have to have compatibility? I feel like anything should work. But I can’t be positive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

Let's start with "what bike are you attempting to build up?" Some frames have specific brake requirements...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Brakes on bike build [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

Let's start with "what bike are you attempting to build up?" Some frames have specific brake requirements...

Either a flyxii or a dengfu. Not brake specifics as far as I can tell. Probably the Flyxii FLX-FR-308 ( 700C )

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any standard road brakes will work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can use 105 brakes with DuraAce levers, Sram levers with Campy calipers, etc. etc. That's how TriRig can sell lots of folks the OmegaX aero brakes.

IME good pads are 90% of the equation. I'd use Sora brakes with DuraAce pads over the reverse. Get some Kool Stop salmon pads and even low end brakes are really good.

Related plug: I have some old Ultegra calipers from my former tri bike if you are interested in some quality (though dated) brakes cheap.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Brakes on bike build [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Yes, you can use 105 brakes with DuraAce levers, Sram levers with Campy calipers, etc. etc. That's how TriRig can sell lots of folks the OmegaX aero brakes.

IME good pads are 90% of the equation. I'd use Sora brakes with DuraAce pads over the reverse. Get some Kool Stop salmon pads and even low end brakes are really good.

Related plug: I have some old Ultegra calipers from my former tri bike if you are interested in some quality (though dated) brakes cheap.

I might be. Although unless I want to see how it feels to sleep on the couch for the remainder of October I’m gonna have to wait a week or two. I’ll let you know and PM you then.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the "couch club" :-) .
I bought cheap $15.Tektro for my first build. It brakes fine. Sometimes a nice TRP (like the 920 ) will pop on Ebay too.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check Craigslist or garage sales in your area if you are trying to go as cheap as possible. Maybe even check out a bike shop to see if they have any old ones in the back off of a scrapped bike.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

It sounds like a stupid question but when it comes to bike builds I’m a bit of a newb. Will basically any dual pivot caliper work or does it have to have compatibility? I feel like anything should work. But I can’t be positive.

Generally, yes. There are slight differences in the amount of cable pulled, but in general it's not enough to prevent one sort of lever working with another sort of caliper (unlike say MTB v-brakes and their associated levers that need much more cable pull)

This should help:
https://productinfo.shimano.com/...C-453&acid=C-456

That said, I'd say just get the best calipers you can justify. Cheap ones (especially off brands) often come with crappy pads and by the time you upgrade them you might as well have gotten the better brakes.
Last edited by: MattyK: Oct 7, 19 18:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently running old Shimano 600 single pivot calipers with 10-speed Ultegra shevers on one road bike, and with SRAM Rival 11-speed shevers on on another. Lighter, enough stopping power for me, can be found cheap with a little searching. I've got a couple sets of 105 single pivot calipers in the parts bin...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply