Brake pads for ENVE & Zipp Wheels

What brake pads do you use for these wheels? I know ENVE recommends their own, and so does Zipp, as expected. From what I know the pad are all made by SwissStop, so that in case, I should be able to use the SwissStop Black Price without having to swap the pad when I change wheels, no?

I thought carbon wheels come with the correct pads from the factory?

They do, but I would like to use different wheels on the same bike for different race/ride and hate to have to switch brake pads each time.

I would switch brake pads.

Can the ENVE pads be used on ZIPP wheels with no problems?

I have used Enve pads on Enve’s, my H Plus son’s and Zipp CC’s without issue.

jake

Swisstop black prince pads on both. Zipps are similar to the black prince (soft). Enve pads are a bit harder. Both are very high quality rims and the black prince is a forgiving pad. Can’t go wrong with the combo.

I believe that using a non ‘company specific’ may affect your warranty. If your wheels are still under warranty you should look into this before using a different pad

I believe that using a non ‘company specific’ may affect your warranty. If your wheels are still under warranty you should look into this before using a different pad

+1 on this. I was looking at new pads for my ENVEs but was informed by my LBS that using any other pad but an ENVE will void the warranty.

+1 on this. I was looking at new pads for my ENVEs but was informed by my LBS that using any other pad but an ENVE will void the warranty.

How does that not violate the Magnuson-Moss Act?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the “tie-in sales” provisions, and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

Interesting. I went to the enve website and read what it said about brake pad usage. Apparently a specific type of their pads cannot be used on a specific line of their wheels (The ones I have ) as it wears down the carbon. So it’s not so much that you have to use Enve pads it’s that they will void your warranty if you use these specific pads.

Zipp pads have Swisstop printed on them and are identical compound to black prince.
The pad was developed for Zipp by Swisstop and after an agreed time they were allowed to use the compound in their own branded pads, hence black prince pads come out a little after after the Zipp original product.

Zipp recommend on their site to use either Zipp pads or Swisstop.

The best brake pads I’ve used with carbon rims are the Reynolds Cryo-blue pads. The SwissStop don’t even come close in terms of breaking performance, and they are very gentle in the rims.