Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brad Williams crash....
Quote | Reply
From Brad....

"The bike is ok & helmets save lives........& the bad luck of 2018 continues.
Had a car turn right in front of me today. Over the bars, into the car/road. A broken right collar bone and a fractured left radial. Yeah, I am pretty much useless now as both arms have little function.
Not sure what more I could have done, have a bright flashing front light & red helmet. I was 5mins into my 5hr ride and just trying to get out of town, doing 18-20mph NOT in the TT bars. And people wonder why more and more of us are riding indoors and using Zwift as our primary training for the bike.
Could have been much worse and I realize how lucky I am. We will see how quick the recovery is and hopefully back into a training routine before too long and find my way onto a start line sooner than later.
Going to say a big thanks to Hila, in advanced, because we have a busy few weeks ahead of us and I’m not going to be of much help and probably a bit of a pain as well.
Congrats to everyone who raced 70.3 Worlds today, and all the best to those of you racing tomorrow!"

Hope the healing goes well and heal fast Brad!!!!!!
Last edited by: ggeiger: Sep 1, 18 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: Brad Williams crash.... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gary, appreciate it. Still early on, but hoping to slowly get back to the training as the body allows.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Brad Williams crash.... [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Thanks Gary, appreciate it. Still early on, but hoping to slowly get back to the training as the body allows.

I hope the diver is held accountable. Recover fast!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brad, are you injuries all orthopedic in nature. If so, you'll be largely back to full form soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:

I'm sure you'll be back stronger than ever Brad! Another character builder for you...... Enjoy the family while the healing is going on and best for a quick and strong comeback.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:

No need to rush it. Just take it as it comes and heal up. Your fitness won't disappear.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the crash, Brad. Hope you recover quickly.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:

Brad - Very, very sorry to hear of your accident, hope your bones heal up nicely with no long term effects. I've had this type of accident twice; the first time, i actually ran into the car and went over the rear trunk, and second time i turned so sharply to avoid running into the car that my front wheel locked up and i just went down hard on one side into the road and was knocked out for about 45 min, but i did not run into the car. So my Q is did you actually hit the car, and if so, did the driver accuse you of running into him/her??? This is what happened to me after the first "driver turns in front of me" accident, and i ended up agreeing to pay the guy $150 to cover cost of repairing and repainting the small scratches on his paint; i probably could've argued it in court but didn't want to go through all that. So, i'm curious as to how your interaction with the driver went???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Brad Williams crash.... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric-
Well my biggest concern was the driver fleeing the scene, and I was very adamant to all the bystanders to stop them from leaving.

I haven't had any interaction with the driver at all, I don't recall any interaction with them at the scene, other than laying on the ground right after getting hit and yelling profanities at them of "What the F* were you thinking? What the F* were you doing? How the F* did you not see me?" (or something along those lines, will post the video once I get the call clear to do so). I then laid on the sidewalk / front outdoor seating area of a cafe until my wife arrived (it happened 5mins into my ride, and she beat the cops there). The police then arrived, breatherlized (she passed, it was 11am) her and took a statement from her. My wife and the police both say she was really shaken up from it all.

I am a pansy when it comes to pain, I mean I have "crashed" at under 5mph and landed on my ass, but it took me ~20mins to recover from the shock of it before I was able to continue the rest of the ride. I was lightheaded and nauseous the whole time at the scene and then for ~24hrs after, needed help in/out of the car as well. They gave me liquid morphine at the hospital and then onto codeine and still on that.

I will recap all of this eventually, and plan to cover the recovery progress and what I do along that road on a weekly basis probably. I think/assume, I am going to have a lot more free time over the next 4-6 weeks and I just need to stay "busy" to keep positive and not sit around and have pity on myself (which as of now, I don't, because I know it could have been so much worse).

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:

"will post the video once I get the call clear to do so"

"Let me know if you have any follow up questions."

Hi there BW_Tri

Does this mean you had a bike-mounted camera?

Which one do you use? I was thinking about getting one so I have evidence in cases like this.

Thanks

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Brad Williams crash.... [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:

"will post the video once I get the call clear to do so"

"Let me know if you have any follow up questions."

Hi there BW_Tri

Does this mean you had a bike-mounted camera?

Which one do you use? I was thinking about getting one so I have evidence in cases like this.

Thanks

Yes, unfortunately I was cheap and only bought the rear facing Cycliq Fly 6, thinking that odds were if I were to get hit/in an accident it would be from the rear. hoping to get a front Cycliq camera before getting back out on the road, more as an "insurance policy" for my family in case anything serious happens next time.

You can read about my full light/camera setup here (just posted it yesterday): https://www.instagram.com/p/BnTkDWWFgl1/

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
IThe police then arrived, breatherlized (she passed, it was 11am) her and took a statement from her.

Been there...sucks bad!!!

What the police need to do is check her phone (assuming she had a cell).

Rest a bunch and heal up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well my biggest concern was the driver fleeing the scene, and I was very adamant to all the bystanders to stop them from leaving.

Hope you recover quickly.

Did the driver try to leave ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Hi Eric-
I haven't had any interaction with the driver at all, I don't recall any interaction with them at the scene, other than laying on the ground right after getting hit and yelling profanities at them of "What the F* were you thinking? What the F* were you doing? How the F* did you not see me?" (or something along those lines, will post the video once I get the call clear to do so). I then laid on the sidewalk / front outdoor seating area of a cafe until my wife arrived (it happened 5mins into my ride, and she beat the cops there). The police then arrived, breatherlized (she passed, it was 11am) her and took a statement from her. My wife and the police both say she was really shaken up from it all.
I am a pansy when it comes to pain, I mean I have "crashed" at under 5mph and landed on my ass, but it took me ~20mins to recover from the shock of it before I was able to continue the rest of the ride. I was lightheaded and nauseous the whole time at the scene and then for ~24hrs after, needed help in/out of the car as well. They gave me liquid morphine at the hospital and then onto codeine and still on that.
I will recap all of this eventually, and plan to cover the recovery progress and what I do along that road on a weekly basis probably. I think/assume, I am going to have a lot more free time over the next 4-6 weeks and I just need to stay "busy" to keep positive and not sit around and have pity on myself (which as of now, I don't, because I know it could have been so much worse).
Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Brad - thanks for the details!!! Several Qs do occur to me:
1. Did the driver not even apologize and/or ask if you were OK??? If not, he/she is a huge D*** in my opinion.
2. Did the police do a breath test on the driver??? And why the f*** did they test your wife, who was not involved aside from coming to your rescue. Did the police breath test you???
3. When you say "fractured left radial", is this your elbow or ???

Keep your chin up,

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
2. Did the police do a breath test on the driver??? And why the f*** did they test your wife,

I am fairly confident the police gave the test to the driver and not his wife.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Brad Williams crash.... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
2. Did the police do a breath test on the driver??? And why the f*** did they test your wife,

I am fairly confident the police gave the test to the driver and not his wife.

After re-reading for a 5th time, i think you're right, and this certainly makes more sense, but a literal reading implies his wife. Apparently, the driver was a "she" but Brad never comes right out and says that. Too many "she" references. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I can't remember, I was in shock the whole time, like I mentioned I handle pain like a pansy ;) I think she came over to check on me, and probably said sorry? Hasn't followed up since the accident.
2. They did it on the driver, SHE passed, I did ask that when they came and took my statement at the hospital. I was NOT given a breathalyzer. There may have been a few occasions many years ago when my hangover may have been so bad that I may not have passed at 11am in the morning? But that was many many years ago, when I was young, dumb, and very new to the sport.
3. Sorry, left radial head. Near the elbow area. Very limited strength in my left arm, and limited range of motion. Can do a bit with it, but some stuff is extremely painful. For example, I can't even put on my own socks!?!?! I had fractured/cracked my right radial head back in 2009 so was familiar with what the restrictions were going to be there, but the collar bone is a whole new experience, one I wish upon no one.

Chin is up, made it 40mins on Zwift tonight at a whopping 90W, sitting up with no hands on the bars as that left hand on the bar leaning forward is painful.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Chin is up, made it 40mins on Zwift tonight at a whopping 90W, sitting up with no hands on the bars as that left hand on the bar leaning forward is painful.

you need a recumbent bike!!!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
1. I can't remember, I was in shock the whole time, like I mentioned I handle pain like a pansy ;) I think she came over to check on me, and probably said sorry? Hasn't followed up since the accident.
2. They did it on the driver, SHE passed, I did ask that when they came and took my statement at the hospital. I was NOT given a breathalyzer. There may have been a few occasions many years ago when my hangover may have been so bad that I may not have passed at 11am in the morning? But that was many many years ago, when I was young, dumb, and very new to the sport.
3. Sorry, left radial head. Near the elbow area. Very limited strength in my left arm, and limited range of motion. Can do a bit with it, but some stuff is extremely painful. For example, I can't even put on my own socks!?!?! I had fractured/cracked my right radial head back in 2009 so was familiar with what the restrictions were going to be there, but the collar bone is a whole new experience, one I wish upon no one.

Well, i'm glad your chin is up and you're already back spinning easy on the bike. I haven't had either of your injuries but i have cracked or broken several other bones in bike wrecks, including my left femur in 2007, so i have some idea of what you're going through. It always sucks to have a crash with injuries that take months to heal but, in all probability, you'll bounce back even stronger next year!!! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful with those drugs.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Brad Williams crash.... [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite a few people have warned me of this. I have never had a "drug" problem, nor a painkiller problem, nor an addiction problem, so hoping this isn't an issue. I have been coming off of them and having bigger gaps between taking them. Will be moving to just Tylenol in the coming days, and then hopefully off of that a few days later. Still quite a bit of pain and discomfort though.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can take Tylenol and Advil at the same time. I doesn’t take long on that stuff to become addicted, no prior experience necessary. It’s bad stuff, just be careful.

--Chris
Quote Reply