Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Boycott
Quote | Reply
ok, I have to admit that many are not any smarter than here...

No more Coca-Cola or Budweiser, no Marlboro, no American whiskey or even American Express cards -- a growing number of restaurants in Germany are taking everything American off their menus to protest the war in Iraq (news - web sites).

Although the protests are mainly symbolic, waiters in dozens of bars and restaurants in Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Bonn and other German cities are telling patrons, "Sorry, Coca-Cola is not available any more due to the current political situation."
Quote Reply
Re: Boycott [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...without getting into too much political debate (I think Dan should put a picture of Secretariat's grave on the top of the forum ;-)....I do think it's funny that if Southern California actually banded together, with the volume of Mercedes & BMW's sold here (more than anywhere else in the world), we could probably shut down the German economy ;-)

Personally, I wouldn't ever boycott german beer...as I can get just as drunk for less money on cheap american beer ;-)

~ Craig

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Boycott [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
once again much love to gary is sd. boycotts suck. they don't work and are hard to do. i can find something in anything that would get it boycotted. if you like the product buy or lease or borrow the product. france isn't going to really notice any boycott (thier economy is tanking anyway) buy french, german or what ever.

relax it's all politics.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, interesting but not suprising. Some of the same things are happening against other countries, only one a smaller scale. Example, you have probably heard most people aren't calling them French Fries anymore. I saw John Cobb is recommending buying American made bikes. (Maybe not related.) There are numerous other examples, but I don't want to go into them (to avoid unneccessary slander.) These boycotts on the surface seem trivial, but it will be interesting to see how this all plays out in a couple of monthes. Pray for Peace.
Ze Gopha
Quote Reply
Re: Boycott [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but train for war.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Boycott [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
si vis pacem para bellum...

but then, I don't do latin...I am boycotting latin products as they have invaded Gaule in 70BC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, are you enjoying yourself? Man this shitpot does not need to be stirred! The media does more than enough. Francois, you are better than the media right? God I hope so.....................

1*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the boycott - nothing more democratic than a good old fashioned boycott. Personally, I boycott French wine (living in Northern California, there is no reason to buy imported), French fries (I know, from Belgium, but too much fat and bad for the ticker), French's mustard (again, not from France, but I really don't like mustard).

One thing I don't plan on boycotting is the Tour de France, but I do think the US Army should take over for the USPS as Armstrong's team sponsor... I also have no intention of boycotting my Mavic Ksyriums, they are probably the best thing that ever came out of France.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote: "Although the protests are mainly symbolic, waiters in dozens of bars and restaurants in Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Bonn and other German cities are telling patrons, "Sorry, Coca-Cola is not available any more due to the current political situation."

That's not true, I've not seen any boycott over here. But, as a nonsmoker I do boycott Marlboro .... and all other brands.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I support the concept of consumers voting through boycotts, but in the USA people are crafty and usually boycott crappy things to get an added benefit. Think about it, everyone is better off without french toast and french fries. Heck, I've been personally boycotting Citroens and bratwursts for years now.

Coca-Cola, Budweiser, and Jim Beam are pretty tasty. As a friend of Germany I recommend they boycott Doctor Pepper, Old Milwaukee, and Mad Dog 20/20 instead.

The only good boycott is Marlboro. Why not extend the boycott to all USA manufactured or marketed cigarettes, add Doctor Pepper, Old Milwaukee, and MD 20/20, and let the good German citizens have their Coke, Bud, Beam.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-MK
Quote Reply
Re: Boycott [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't drink beer, but my guess is that you will have a hard time convincing the germans (where supposedly they have great beer...the craigmeister having tried all of them...) that bud is preferable to their beers...

they are probably not boycotting bud, just sticking to their beer...as for Citroen, I do agree, better boycott them...

if the rest of the world decide to boycott the french riviera maybe I'll go train there during summer...woudl be great not to see the beaches packed for once ! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I am going to buy some Corima rims (France) and lace them to Tune hubs (Germany) put them onto my already French bike (Corima).

I have no cause to boycott anything French or German, as there are not that many products that I regularly buy from France or Germany.

If any of you who are boycotting French products want to participate in a mass burn of their Corima products, just send them to me. They will have a happy home here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn,

Does this mean I need to boycott my wife and parents now since they are german.

I can just see it now.

Wife - Why are you not giving me any loven ?

Me - Sorry honey I am boycotting you.

Actually I try to buy US whenever I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course you don't drink beer, it's for the common folk not an self rightous snob like your self. I'm begging you, go back to France where you can help out in the alleged boycott. I used to like you, dude, when you posted on tri stuff, but now you have shown your true colors. Your pathetic homeland hasn't done jack for the world in a long time while we have fought tyranny and oppression time and time again. Milosovich, Taliban, Soviet Empire, Noriega, Hitler among others were stopped by mainly or totally by our efforts. We aren't perfect but we are not cowards and do not stick our heads in the sand when faced with difficult problems. We will see very soon what France has been up to in Iraq, and it won't be pretty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
opposing countries should be consistent, and boycott American technology, investment, and American foreign aid.
Quote Reply
Re: Boycott [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Slick, I drink beer. I've tasted brews from all over the world including the US. Don't drink French beer. Not because of a boycott but because the French, unlike their wine, just don't make good beer.

Boycotts really prove nothing. In fact sometimes they can even sometimes backfire and be used for propaganda purposes. One time I was on a scuba diving trip in Cuba(us Canuks are legally allowed to go there). Went to the bar and ordered a rum and coke. The bartender told me that this was called a "Cuba Libre"(meaning liberation of Cuba when translated from Spanish) and was the official revolutionary drink of Cuba. Apparently when Castro took over both CocaCola and Barcardi pulled out of Cuba as a boycott. No problem said Castro as he then simply took over the factories and continued producing the products as a way of demonstrating to the Cuban people that they didn't need these capitalistic exploiters any ways.

BTW, just because I've been to Cuba a few times does not make me a communist. I was just a tourist. Travel really does broaden the mind Slick. Someday you should take a trip to France.
Quote Reply
Re: Boycott [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Well Slick, I drink beer]

At least we have one thing in common.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Francois, if I don't reply for a while it's because I'm off to goose stepping lessons with my other fascist buddies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"At least we have one thing in common."

Two - we're also both into triathlon. Hey, maybe you're not such a bad guy after all.
Quote Reply
Re: Boycott [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, cut it out. You know I'm bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you seem to be stirring everything up maybe we should just boycott you. Now there is an idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Boycott [oglethorpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
please, do.
Quote Reply
Re: Boycott [oglethorpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you the famous Olgie Olgethorpe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, neither famous nor Olgie. It's just a high school nickname which has served me well over the years. I have been a forum reader until now, but the former marine in me had finally had enough of the frog. Probably lowered myself to the level of his lilly pad, but at leaast I feel better now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next