Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bowflex Vs. home gym/ nautilus
Quote | Reply
What do you guys think. Has anyone had experience with either. Planning on getting one and a squat rack for squats and calves, should cover everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Bowflex Vs. home gym/ nautilus [trijunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We bought a NordicFlex Ultralift about six years ago. It's a bit different from the Bowflex but all these home units do the same thing. For a bodybuilder/power lifter they won't do what free weights will do for building mass but I think they're excellent for a triathlete since building bulk is the last thing my wife and I would wish to do. They keep you toned and build strength and saves the hassle of driving to a gym.
Quote Reply
Re: Bowflex Vs. home gym/ nautilus [trijunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a big fan for a couple of reasons. Since you're already getting a rack, why not get a bench, a bar, and some freeweights? New or used, it would probably cost you less and be way more useful. Here are some things that I see as advantages of the latter.

- Variety. You can do more with free weights, obviosly. The variety will help your training and keep you from getting bored.

- Joint health. Free weights will expose any imbalances you're developing and generally help the smaller stabilizing muscles develop. Machines often tend to let some major muscles get stronger while leaving the smaller ones behind. Shoulders in particular can get really messed up.

- Better results. Bottom line, you will get stronger faster. As for bulking up, that may or may not happen regardless of the resistance training method you use. Factors that will affect it are training style, nutrition, and genetics. If you want to avoid hypertrophy and maximize your strength gains, keep in mind the 3-5 rule. 3-5 reps per set, 3-5 sets, 3-5 minutes rest between sets. Also stick to compound movements, squat, deadlift, side press, pullups, etc... and avoid isolations like curls, EXCEPT if you're working on joint health like an L-fly.

Whichever way you go, HAVE FUN!

-ashayk
Quote Reply