Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boulder Ironman Volunteer report
Quote | Reply
I volunteered with my son's high school MTB team to catch and rack bikes as they were coming in. Here's some of my thoughts and observations. No judgments, I'm sure I've made some of the same mistakes myself.

First, it was a lot of fun. I've volunteered for other things but never an IM. I'd recommend it. It would offer some good insight to someone planning on doing one.

We had to grab the riders bike, dump all the liquids out of it as they would spill in the transport truck. Then we'd rack the bike or bring them to the transport trucks.

I was surprised at the amount of liquids people were carrying on their bikes at the end of the bike leg.

A few bad sunburned people, lots of people covered in salt stains.

Quite a few people came in with cramps and had to be helped. A lot more just got off their bikes with a very noticeable hobble. I can't imagine having to start a marathon when you're already in that condition.

I only saw two people get off their bikes and actually start running to the transition zone. One of those did a great dismount, rolling the bike to the handler and just kept on trucking. Granted, I was doing the afternoon 2 pm - 6 pm shift, so maybe these riders were just looking to complete the event.

Aero helmets were few and far between, noticed more helmets not on the persons head properly. There were some people without aero bars. One person was in a cotton T-shirt with a camelback.

Body type and bicycle type does not equate to finishing well. I saw a few people who looked very physically fit but were coming in from the bike towards the end. The same with bikes, I saw some basic non aero bikes finish well ahead of some nice super bikes.

I thought everyone had a great attitude.

I have no idea if there was drafting on the course but I did see a couple people with matching kits finish the bike leg at the very same time.

Most bike computers gave a distance of 110 for the bike.

So, if I came away with any lessons to tell people I'd say this.

Put your sunscreen on without clothes. Your clothes will move and you will burn.

Don't carry so much liquid, monitor your drinking.

On the last mile start standing, stretching and preparing to get off your bike. Save your bike computer before you stop at the line. Learn how to swing one leg over the side of the bike and coast in to a dismount.

Even if you're just trying to complete the distance and you don't care about your time, you should take advantage of any free speed you can. You're already in for a long day, don't make it longer or harder than it needs to be.
Quote Reply