Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits?
Quote | Reply
Hey Boulder locals,
Any thoughts on Boulder 70.3, and if will it be Wetsuit legal?
I am curious so I know what to pack, and if I should order a speedsuit tonight.

The plan for me if wetsuit legal either sleeveless or an old suit that "vents" a bit.
If non wetsuit, I need to get a speedsuit or I will be swimming with a parachute on.

I am dropping the bike and wetsuit off tomorrow with TBT.

Thanks,
Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked on the city of Boulder website yesterday and it said water was 72*. I doubt it will get up to 76.1 by next Saturday but who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
I checked on the city of Boulder website yesterday and it said water was 72*. I doubt it will get up to 76.1 by next Saturday but who knows.

This is wrong. Their website is outdated from 7/11. Called them earlier today and they said it is 76 today. Going to be very close either way. Lots of ~90 degree days, but a bunch of rain in the forecast too.

Link: https://bouldercolorado.gov/...ec/boulder-reservoir
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My money would be on wetsuit legal. It has been unusually hot but the forecast calls for a cooling trend and rain.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just called for an update. Water temp is currently 76.5F. The person at the front gate said the event will likely NOT be wetsuit legal unless there is heavy rainfall between now and 8/3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update as of 8:55AM EST 7/29: Water temp is 74F. I'm not a water temp expert, but it has gone down 2+ degrees in the last two days, so we could be looking at a wetsuit legal swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it'll be pretty warm for a few days then maybe drop a few degrees again with some rain. Guessing it'll be in the 72.4 to 76 range, so wetsuit legal for age groupers and illegal for pros.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I would guess it stays at 74 until Saturday. Wetsuit legal for sure for age groupers. The weather right now is looking near perfect.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last few years it's been close like this but has always ended up being legal. Fingers crossed it remains the same this year!

Does anyone know if the 70.3 is staying in Boulder, with the recent removal of the full distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [frankis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't heard anything official but I would find it hard to believe that this race would leave considering it sells out AND brings a pretty solid pro field despite average prize money. Don't need the prize money to attract people when it's in a lot of pros' backyards...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey mate, I live in Boulder and it has been quite warm for the past month (many days in the 90s). For AG race it will be close for wetsuits. Pros likely no wetsuit. Even if you don't get to use it at Boulder, I would invest in a swimskin. I'm sure you'll end up needing at some race.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [RobbieD14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just called the front desk (yeah, I'm "that girl" calling for updates daily)....currently 75F.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna be a close one. 91 tomorrow, but rainy Th/Fri. That bodes well for wetsuit legal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Gonna be a close one. 91 tomorrow, but rainy Th/Fri. That bodes well for wetsuit legal

Weather Underground has the high as 89 tomorrow then 82 and rain on Thursday and then 84 and rain on Friday. If that pans out it should stay under 76.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's hope! Currently 75F as of this morning...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just make sure you bring it. Its an IM race so they will use them if at all possible and based on next couple days weather it will be really close.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 2019 / Wetsuits? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Haven't heard anything official but I would find it hard to believe that this race would leave considering it sells out AND brings a pretty solid pro field despite average prize money. Don't need the prize money to attract people when it's in a lot of pros' backyards...

I'd agree with this. Besides, if Ironman left with this one race surviving in Boulder, that would open that weekend up to another race. Once the weekends are full and all permits issued for the season, Ironman would have a very tough time trying to get back into Boulder. As it is, they opened up the weekend for the full--for a competitor to swoop in and fill for 2020. Since so many triathletes live in Boulder, it would be a silly move to ever eliminate the 70.3 without having a full. Unless they went to a 140.6 then 70.3 alternating every-other-year pattern. Which may be a cool business model for Boulder actually...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runnerak47 wrote:
Let's hope! Currently 75F as of this morning...

Still 75 as of 8/1. High of 78 today with a bit of rain which may cool it off. High of 86 tomorrow and sunny
Quote Reply