Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boston running Emerald Necklace / Olmsted park
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'll be in Boston next week, and I've never been before.

I've been looking for running routes, using Strava mostly, and I'm staying near Olmsted park.

It seems I've struck lucky, and there is a route called the Emerald Necklace there?

Question, though - is it safe there around 2000 in the evening, or 0600 in the morning, when it's dark?

Or are there better routes nearby?

Can't wait, I hardly ever go to the US!!!!

Thanks for any help
Quote Reply
Re: Boston running Emerald Necklace / Olmsted park [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
Hi,

I'll be in Boston next week, and I've never been before.

I've been looking for running routes, using Strava mostly, and I'm staying near Olmsted park.

It seems I've struck lucky, and there is a route called the Emerald Necklace there?

Question, though - is it safe there around 2000 in the evening, or 0600 in the morning, when it's dark?

Or are there better routes nearby?

Can't wait, I hardly ever go to the US!!!!

Thanks for any help

That's a nice area to run, in fact most of the BAA Half Marathon course is along the Emerald Necklace. It's essentially a system of connected urban parks and green spaces so it's pretty popular for runners. That said, it's still in the city and could potentially get a little sketchy after dark, especially down towards the Forest Hills/Franklin Park area. Personally I'd stay in the Jamaica Pond/Olmstead/Riverway area. Not sure how long you're looking to go but you could also head north from there through the Fenway area and run along the Charles River. Also a very popular running route. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Boston running Emerald Necklace / Olmsted park [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:

That's a nice area to run, in fact most of the BAA Half Marathon course is along the Emerald Necklace. It's essentially a system of connected urban parks and green spaces so it's pretty popular for runners. That said, it's still in the city and could potentially get a little sketchy after dark, especially down towards the Forest Hills/Franklin Park area. Personally I'd stay in the Jamaica Pond/Olmstead/Riverway area. Not sure how long you're looking to go but you could also head north from there through the Fenway area and run along the Charles River. Also a very popular running route. Have fun!

Thank you!

Nothing amazing in terms of distance. I'll have three days to run, and was planning 10 - 12k for each.

So a loop around Jamaica pond, Olmsread park and Riverway 1 (All looking a Google maps, as I've no idea...) should be fine.

You recommend going north through Fenway Park and down the river?

I guess early evening there will lots of other runners?

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As previous poster said, run up toward Fenway and then connect on to the Esplanade. It's a run/bike path that follows the Charles River. It's beautiful, quite popular with runners and well trafficked/well lit on the morning and evenings. Enjoy - it's beautiful this time of year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats a ok run, the trails in there I used to run at dark (this is back in 2007-2009) but prob would not now.... River in Boston still remains the best place to run. Best way to see all of Boston to, run to the Charles pick up the path. On one side you will get to see all of Cambridge and loop back either at museum of science or Harvard walking bridge then see Boston from the other side. This is litterly my favorite thing about Boston (seafood a close second since we have nothing like it in Texas)

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Boston running Emerald Necklace / Olmsted park [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Thats a ok run, the trails in there I used to run at dark (this is back in 2007-2009) but prob would not now.... River in Boston still remains the best place to run. Best way to see all of Boston to, run to the Charles pick up the path. On one side you will get to see all of Cambridge and loop back either at museum of science or Harvard walking bridge then see Boston from the other side. This is litterly my favorite thing about Boston (seafood a close second since we have nothing like it in Texas)

Thank you, and thanks to all the people who have replied with help.

Really appreciate it.
Quote Reply